Trip Report This was supposed to have been last year's trip!

Hello all fellow Disney geeks! I'm Dave, & I'm proud to say that I am to, & to a milder extent so are my wife & son-- but I am the family's over-the-top Disney fan: I'm a former home-based travel agent for AAA of western NY for only Disney destinations, so I am a "College of Knowledge" Disney grad as well . . . I gave this up when AAA got to be a pain to deal with-- nothing at all against Disney-- it was all AAA.

Last year we started a post on our upcoming trip to WDW. My wife Andi & I would be coming on our own for the 1st time to celebrate our 25th anniversary as our son Kevin would be in college (he'd asked for his last summer "kid" trip with us to be hiking with our dogs in the Adirondacks) . . . BUT I've heard it said that if you want God to laugh, tell Him your plans: Just before the end of his senior year in high school, Kevin developed pain in his left shoulder, & after visits to doctors & then to the E.R., he was ultimately diagnosed with a rare pediatric cancer. But that same God who threw us that curveball also blessed us with living in Buffalo NY with the excellent Children's Hospital & Roswell Park Cancer Institute in our backyard.

Upon diagnosis, the doctors warned that there'd be a very difficult 8 months or so ahead, but they were committed to helping Kevin beat this. And they were right: it was absolute hell for Kevin & for us as well, but true to their word, Kevin is now well & finally getting his life back! At his request, further info. is being kept strictly confidential, so there will be no more details given.

But some minimal mention was necessary to explain the reason behind this year's trip. As he was still 17 when diagnosed, hospital staff put us in touch with Make-A-Wish, & while Kevin at 1st was hesitant to accept, the Make-A-Wish representatives assured him that they're not just for little kids & that they exist for the purpose of helping all kids-- big & small-- to have a great time after they'd been thru such a tough one. They discussed many possible plans with Kevin, but he ultimately decided that he wanted to go back to WDW-- a place he knows & loves & where he can do what he likes at his own pace, as he's still recovering. M-A-W managed to get Kevin's wish granted before his 18th birthday, their cut-off age. Now that the background info's over, here are our upcoming trip details:

Our 2016 trip had been planned for August for 2 in Port Orleans Riverside. Thanks for the help from Kingdom Konsultants to replan from 2 to 4 for this year. We'd been planning to take Kevin & either his cousin or a friend to celebrate anyway, even before hearing from Make-A-Wish. So we now have 2 rooms at All-Star Music for 5 nights with a 5-day (4 + 1 free) pass. Kevin invited Garrett, one of his closest friends whom he'd known from 14 years of school together. This part of the trip Andi & I pay for, & thanks to Jill of K.K. for keeping up with all of our changes! Then we start with Kevin's MAW portion of the trip: 6 nights at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, then 2 nights at Daytona Beach. So we'll have 13 nights in FL!

After our initial self-funded time at WDW, Make-A-Wish is providing passes for 4 to 1 day at SeaWorld, 2 days at Universal, & 3 days at WDW, including hoppers & water parks, lodging & contribution toward meals & expenses. All they ask for in return is that we meet with their affiliate Give Kids the World & provide MAW with photos & notes. I'm a published photographer from the days of film, currently using a digital SLR with multiple lenses on a recreational basis, so I'll just be sharing with them what I'd be doing for fun anyway!

So this should be a wonderful trip with a lot of fun! MAW & GKTW seem to know how to manage things , , , I was concerned at 1st 'cause without advance info re. our #s, I couldn't preset fast passes, just our meal reservations for their part of the trip, BUT-- they provide the MAW child's group "Genie Wishes Pass" (access to alternate access to all parks & events, & no fast passes necessary) which is really good news as Kevin's still rebuilding his endurance. Of course we're all looking forward to being in attendance for the opening weekend of Pandora-- hoping there'll be a soft opening we can access before the official date!

This will be all of our 1st time at SeaWorld. For the Z's, this is our 2nd time at Universal & 6th at WDW . . . I was also there twice each in the '70s & '80s . . . Kevin & Garrett were there together for their senior class trip in November 2015. After a very difficult past year, we're all looking forward to just relaxing & having fun together! This catch-up-to-date has been a bit lengthy, but I promise that updates will be more concise. We enjoy reading the other posts . . . this is actually the 1st completed one of our own!

Itinerary in next posting , , ,

fractal

Happy to hear Kevin is better! Make a Wish is a great organization, our college Fraternity volunteered many hours to help them stage local events.

Very much enjoyed the report. Nice job on the photos, I especially liked the two boat shots in the setting sun.

Looks like a great time was had; I'm also looking forward to StarWars land opening!

Thanks for sharing.

Dave Z

Original Poster
Summary, favorite memories & future plans . . .

The following thoughts, comments & questions are pretty much a menage of ideas from the
4 of us, so please excuse their random nature:

The 1st trip report Dave read & showed to me was from Nicole's (prfctyximprct) trip in 2014.
It was fun & seemed like something we'd enjoy doing ourselves. (Dave's easily kept up on
a couple hundred other people's reports since then.) So when we were planning our 25th
anniversary trip for 2016, we decided it was our turn. Little did we know the 2016 that was
to be: there was no celebration for either our anniversary or Kevin's high school graduation.
Although with only the last couple weeks left in the school year, his school exempted him
from finals & exams & passed him on his remarkable grades, and he was able to participate
in his graduation (to the cheers of the entire staff, senior class & families!), he simply wasn't
feeling up to a party. It was a year we all want to forget.

This 2017 trip was a celebration of life. A note of thanks here to all of the doctors, nurses, aids,
social workers, physical & respiratory therapists who were a part of Kevin's care at Children's
Hospital of Buffalo, NY Presbyterian/Columbia Medical Center in NYC where Kevin had his
surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute here in Buffalo, Dr. Maria Bhatti who coordinated all of
Kevin's care & has since finished her residency & moved on & is an amazing doctor & person.
That was one long journey. Also Make-A-Wish & Give Kids the World-- there are so many
people to thank in those organizations! Can't forget all the cast members & staff at WDW,
Universal & Sea World, where they practically gave Kevin & Garrett celebrity treatment with
special ride access & even a private 1st coaster ride just as they were opening that attraction!
Yes, this was a trip of celebration, & we had lots of fun & laughs & made many happy memories.
It will be remembered for quite some time, & Dave will have to rearrange the pictures hung
around our house to accommodate all the new ones that will go up now. Yes, we have photos
on display from all of our family vacations & events, including from our 1st family trip to WDW
& Cocoa Beach in 2014!

This trip was filled with firsts for all of us: officially our longest stay @ WDW (11 nights topping
our prior 9 @ Polynesian in 2008); 1st time at Sea World; the abovementioned coaster event;
Dave & Andi being the 1st 2 people to walk into Haunted Mansion one morning; and . . . . .
separate rooms!!! That was really nice for us, but our apologies to the wonderful maids who
cleaned Kevin's & Garrett's rooms!

Daytona Beach was a little disappointing for Dave, who remembers how it was when he was
there in the '80s-- it seemed very quiet & empty to him, but it could be that we were there on a
Wednesday afternoon. Andi didn't notice 'cause she had too much fun watching the pelicans
diving for fish!

The Wilderness Lodge is wonderful, & the we want to try a stay at a few other resorts, we will
be back some time in the future!

Next up: Kevin & Garrett are planning a trip for spring 2018 with 3 or 4 other friends. Yes, the
"squad" who went thru high school together are going to Disney! (So don't say we didn't warn
you! LOL) Andi & Dave are starting planning for a trip in September 2018 @ Beach Club for 6
nights, then drive to Hilton Head for 2 or 3 nights at the Disney resort there.

This time we were there for opening weekend for Pandora. Dave & Andi went to see the Tiki
Birds 4 times 'cause we're dorks who love that show & worry that it may disappear someday.
& since it seems that Universe of Energy with Ellen is going away, we likely saw that for our last
time. Being at Disney for 11 nights gave us time to relax & explore & experience WDW like we
never had the time to before. Amazing to hear Dave say this: "I love to find new things, check
out new places, and sometimes it is just plain fun to sit back and watch the people go by."
(Dave honey, you were finally able to unwind enough to be able to sit for more than 5 minutes!)

Also thanks to all of you who kept up with reading our report & especially for all the good wishes
from you, along with those who responded with ideas of their own. Dave's the one who really
keeps up with all of the WDW chatter, & I'm sure he'd love it if anyone's interested in conversing
regarding anything related to WDW. Personally, I'd love your feedback!

And so, to all: peace, love, health, & God's blessings . . .

Dave Z

Original Poster
And now some photo's from WDW!!

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_8046817187.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8045467508.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_8044949626.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_8044969371.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_8045020542.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_8040867042.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8047380373.jpeg

That it folk's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As Kevin is deep in thought and Garrett is waking up??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom