Things we can learn from Disney attractions

harryk

That Disney will gleefully bow down to the "woke mob" or whatever who don't get that Splash Mountain isn't Song of the South.
I have a copy, DVD, of Song of the South, purchased in Ireland several years ago, I wanted a copy of 'the wonderful tar baby'. After seeing the whole movie again I'm still wondering why it has not been released again. I see nothing 'racist' in it. It shows the viewer what conditions were then and also does some wonderful teaching by 'Uncle Remus'.

spock8113

To think about what Disney rides teach you, reverting way back to the early 60's when Walt become intimately involved in the Worlds Fair gives you a basis for some of his early ideas. Carousel of Progress, it's a small world, Grand Canyon Dinosaurs, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. EPCOT does not like to hear it, but in many senses it IS a permanent World's Fair designed to educate about other countries and rides like Living With the Land teach through science. Now Haunted Mansion or Pirates are rides for entertainment sake or the "Affordable Family Fun" that Disney espoused that is rapidly getting lost. That's what I've learned!
PS-Just got vaccinated so if I bite you you will no longer infect!

Brer Oswald

Ironically, Splash has the most obvious one. "You can't run from trouble" and "Appreciate what you already have". Such is the nature of being based on folktales that were meant to teach lessons. There was also a lot of lessons to be learned from Epcot. And of course, arguably the most important of them all, it's a small world.

Heppenheimer

Carousel of Progress taught me that “things can’t possibly get any better than this”...as long as we have a large supply of fuses!

it also taught me that dads and sons can form unique bonds over not lettjng mom find out about the “hootchie cootchie”
"Hootchie-cootchie" is a word I know only because of the Carousel of Progress.

Brer Panther

Original Poster
I have a copy, DVD, of Song of the South, purchased in Ireland several years ago, I wanted a copy of 'the wonderful tar baby'. After seeing the whole movie again I'm still wondering why it has not been released again. I see nothing 'racist' in it. It shows the viewer what conditions were then and also does some wonderful teaching by 'Uncle Remus'.
From what I can tell, the film gets flack (just the live action segments, really) because they portray blacks as being cheerful in a time period when, even if slavery wasn't a thing anymore, was still hard for blacks. But A) the problematic live action stuff isn't in the ride and B) I've heard that same complaint thrown at The Princess and the Frog.

Movielover

From what I can tell, the film gets flack (just the live action segments, really) because they portray blacks as being cheerful in a time period when, even if slavery wasn't a thing anymore, was still hard for blacks. But A) the problematic live action stuff isn't in the ride and B) I've heard that same complaint thrown at The Princess and the Frog.
Plus the movie led to the first Academy Award win by a African American in recognition of a truly incredible performance.

Walt Disney1955

Some Disney movies have some lessons in them. Pinocchio is a good example of this for sure.

Perhaps Carousel of Progress comes to mind as something that makes you appreciate how easy we have it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom