Trip Report They're coming over ... and we're not going to WDW??

Ok, some of you (I specifically remember @riverside and @Laurenciaa) asking if I'd consider doing a trip report. I'm more of a "behind the scenes person" but as so many of you have entertained me with amazing trip reports, it would be really impolite of me not to give back to you all. I'll do my best, because I hadn't thought of doing one before I left, so I didn't take any notes, and there are some huge holes in my pictures...

Without further ado:

WHO: Me, my DD C (14), my sister, and my BIL.
WHERE: POR Royal Rooms
WHY: Tiana is one of my absolute favorites!
WHEN: 28 December - 4 January

Some background:

Ever since our trip over in 2009, just before C started school, we've always combined a trip to visit my family with a trip to WDW as well. And each trip has been with my sister and my BIL. That year we went around Easter-time, because it was what worked best with my work schedule. And then of course C was in school, so I tried to be "correct" and take her during the summer holidays, but it was just too oppressively hot. Not just in Orlando, but up and down the entire East Coast where we visited family and friends. So I said NEVER AGAIN to summertime visits. And until she started junior high, I had a bit more leeway taking her out of school for a week or two outside of school holidays, citing such things as wanting her to experience unique cultural celebrations when we went back one year for Thanksgiving (huge cultural fail: C doesn't care for turkey, does not like stuffing, and does not like pecan pie!). On another trip, I was able to take her out a week before the Christmas break, allowing us to go to WDW around 15 December. But then C started junior high and things got complicated. Even taking her out for a day created all kinds of problems (and this was only for us to get to DLP early enough to get our bibs for the 5K race - held on a Friday evening - during the half marathon weekend). Luckily, that year (2017) I bundled my "request" for that one day and 2.5 days after Christmas together with a reason the school really couldn't refuse. So I said never again at Christmas-time...

But back in January-February 2019 I started to think about spending Christmas 2019 at my sister's (well, at one of my sister's). But C had exactly 2 weeks vacation and I did not have a reason the school couldn't refuse, so I told my sister we were coming for Christmas but given the fact that it is the busiest, craziest time at WDW, I thought we should skip it this time. My sister agreed. Since she and I were always the two planning/pushing for our trip to WDW, I figured that was the end of it. But then on Skype calls I'd hear my BIL say "they are really coming over but we aren't going to WDW"? And C would chime in occasionally with a "yeah mom, really?" So one day when it was just my sister and I on Skype, I mentioned that it sounded like my BIL really wanted to go ... and he's someone who rarely expresses emotions/desires. I told her it would be crazy, and there would be NO WAY I'd set foot in a park on New Years' Eve. But if everyone was willing for a more laid back trip, then I'd be ok with planning one. And so it was decided.

But in order to go away on vacation, we first had to bring Indiana and Caraïbes to kitty camp. And because I know you like kitty pictures:

This is a very rare picture of Indy. 1) she pretty much refuses to look anywhere into a lens (telephone, camera, or computer monitor) and 2) she is almost in constant motion so you have to take about a dozen pictures to finally get one that is only semi-blurry. This one is a unicorn: she is looking directly into the lens AND she is not moving!

Indy.JPG

This is Cara. Pictures of Cara are a dime a dozen. Cara will look directly into a lens. And while she may have her 10 minutes of running around like a crazy cat, outside of those 10 minutes she just sits/sleeps (or goes to the door and meows loudly for us to come home, even though we call out to her that we are in the living room).

Cara.JPG

Once the kitties were safely delivered to kitty camp C and I could actually pack a suitcase without constantly removing one or both cats. And I was officially on vacation. C still had one more day of school. And what does a 14 year old ask when you driving home from kitty camp just about the time all grocery stores are closing? (And before you think it was really late, grocery stores close at 7 pm weekdays. 6 pm on Saturdays. They are not open on Sundays.)

"Mom, do we have any bacon?" No, we're leaving tomorrow after school. We don't have much of anything in the fridge. Why?. "Because we decided to do a breakfast in class tomorrow morning, and I'm supposed to bring something typically american". Ummm, not sure what to tell you kid, because even if you ran to the grocery store when it opens at 7:30, you won't be able to cook bacon and get to class by 8:00. "Oh. But what should/could I bring?"

And this is my problem why??? Because I'm a mother. And I love my daughter. And I was probably feeling guilty about all the times lately I stayed in the office until after 7 pm so that I could try to get things off my desk before the end of the year... How about pancakes? I'm pretty sure we have some Aunt Jemima at home.

I made most of the pancakes ... starting at 6:30 am ... on my day off. In C's defence, she did get up early, and she did make some, but I realised that there was no way she was going to get to school on time if she continued making the pancakes. So I made most of them.

pancake.JPG

And after school (and after my hair cut and getting my nails done), we called a taxi and C and I were finally off. Don't let the smiles fool you. I am a VERY nervous flyer. I just "pretend" I am relaxed. C on the other hand loves flying.

Waiting for our first flight to Paris:

GVA to CDG.JPG

And finally the next morning for our transcontinental flight:

CDG to US.JPG

UP NEXT: After an atypical Christmas celebration, we make it to Port Orleans Riverside

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
Following along. We visited riverside while you were there, on the 3rd. Had to go and see Bob’s show.

I really wanted to see Bob’s show, but in the end did not get around to it. It’s one of (tiny) regrets of the trip.

Glad you decided to do a report. Looking forward to more!

I loved that show - and Schmidt in particular.

Can't wait to read more!

I’ll try not to make you wait too long, but I’ve been having some issues downloading my pictures...

I'm here too!

Thanks for joining in 😀

Following along!

Glad to have some followers 😊

Oh, my goodness! I'm so excited about this TR. I was quietly waiting and hoping for you to decide on writing one! 🤞:geek:

I'm here too, my Virtual Coffee Friend! :joyfull:

And you KNOW I had some coffee with you this morning 😘

I'm in for the fun!

Yay!
On board!

Glad to have you along.

I AM VERY MUCH PRESENT !

Chouette 😃

I'm here!

Great!

Woo Hoo!! I’m so glad you decided to do one!! Looking forward to it!!:)

No pressure though ... I don’t have a cute J in mine (and C just told me I am not allowed to post any more pictures of her ... which will cut down considerably on what I can post, because for once she was willing to take lots of pictures with her mamma)

Thanks for joining! Don‘t you have a trip coming up soon?

Checking in!

Glad to have you along!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok, C gave me the green light to use photos that she is in, provided I give her first right of refusal 😉

Sorry, but this one is text heavy because I didn’t really take any pictures until we arrived at WDW.

Our flight over was uneventful and I maaayyy have lied to C about there being no bathrooms on the way to passport control. We were really far ahead of most of the people on the plane, and I didn‘t want to get stuck waiting in a line. Suddenly as we were nearing passport control, I realized that they hadn’t distributed the customs form they usually distribute on the plane. And then they wave us past the kiosks as well, to my relief I might add, as I am never quite sure what to answer on questions related to livestock. First of all, as our trips back are usually two years apart, I really can’t remember if we may have been to a farm over the past two years. Secondly, my daughter horseback rides ... are horse in stables considered livestock? But this time they kept waving us towards the immigration line, yet one of the overhead signs said something about having your passport and form ready?! We are called up and I said to the person that we had our passports but we didn’t have a form. “What form?” The sign says have passports and forms ready. “Oh. The sign is old.” (Can’t be that old, we went through the same airport two years earlier nearly day for day...)

Luckily for C’s bladder, getting off the plane down through immigration barely took 5 minutes (maybe 8). I told her we wouldn’t make the mistake of taking the elevator as we hopped on the escalator. Years ago, maybe on the trip when she was nearing 4 years old, we got stuck on that elevator. Which in and of itself was no big deal. First of all, elevators in the US are big. C once commented that her bed would easily fit with room to spare. When I was pregnant and looking at strollers I got the best advice ever in the store: go home and measure your elevator, and come back one day with your car; there is no sense in you buying a stroller that you can’t fit in your car or your elevator. I was so grateful as that really knocked the choice down to an easy number: 1. So being stuck hadn’t been the problem, it was the dang alarm. The woman on the other end of the elevator phone kept asking if I was ok, if C was ok, and did I need her to stay on the line. My answer was not if you can remotely turn off the alarm, because the only thing disturbing me was the alarm ringing.

So after our very quick ride down the escalator, we were at baggage claim and bathroom. And for the record, if there HAD been a line at passport control, I would have been honest about the bathroom we had passed on the way and given C the option of backtracking or waiting 😉.

Refreshed, we went to stand next to the baggage carrousel and we waited. And waited. And waited. So much for the “priority” sticker on our luggage, because ours were among some of the last bags to come out.

Our week at my sister’s was mostly uneventful. We (C and I) hit up the stores we don’t have (Target) to get products we can’t get (I stock up on over the counter medicine) or that we pay much more for (C finally got her dream pair of Nike sneakers). There was the slight issue of my sister’s dog not liking strangers in the house, so we ended up deciding not to cook Christmas dinner and going instead to the movies and dinner at our hotel, because I didn’t want the dog to have to be sedated and crated in her own home on our account.

I do have one picture from the week (well, I have two but I’ll spare you my sweaty selfie after a run that I took to send off to my running buddy to show her I had gone on a run). Here is one of my Christmas gifts:

8CD7B920-6A9C-471B-97F6-6CB3A7EC19FC.jpeg

I was flabbergasted. I had seen this bag on a shopDisney email ad shortly before my sister’s birthday. I immediately went on the website to buy it. It was in ad pictures but I could not find it anywhere on the website. Not that it was sold out, but that it just didn’t exist! I had told her after her birthday had come and gone that I had been really disappointed, because I had seen an IASW bag I wanted to get for her, but I never found it on the website. She told me that she wondered, when she saw and bought this one for me, if it was the one I had thought of buying for her. So where did my sister find it? I think she said Amazon!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am so glad that you are doing a TR
Do not worry about gaps in information - just make stuff up - how will we know!?!?!

Max

Glad to have you here Max - your presence will definitely add to the fun 😉

And the gaps are more visual than verbal ... I have a fairly good memory, but since I hadn’t been planning on writing a TR, I don’t necessarily have a lot / enough pictures.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
Very excited to follow along and see how you guys survived New Year's at the parks as well!

We survived by NOT going to a park 🤣. And I noticed that we had very similar days ... just not in the same order! (Though we were both at MK at the same time on Sunday for a couple of hours).

danitaytay

We survived by NOT going to a park 🤣. And I noticed that we had very similar days ... just not in the same order! (Though we were both at MK at the same time on Sunday for a couple of hours).

See, you are a lot smarter than us, LOL! How funny is that?! Would've been a crazy coincidence if we ended up in the background of each other's pictures!

HouCuseChickie

Late to the party, but so glad you're doing a TR. And OMG...that BAG!!!!! 🥰 That's interesting with thinking about elevators and strollers. I definitely researched it with cars, but it's just one of those things I never thought of. I remember when mine were little and you could fit at least four minivan sized strollers into the elevators in the medical centers. Can't wait to read more!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
Already enjoying your trip report!

What a relief! There are so many talented writers (we all know who they are), that it is a bit daunting to join in!

Little late, but excited to read about your adventures!

Not late at all - I’m just getting started.

Late to the party, but so glad you're doing a TR. And OMG...that BAG!!!!! 🥰 That's interesting with thinking about elevators and strollers. I definitely researched it with cars, but it's just one of those things I never thought of. I remember when mine were little and you could fit at least four minivan sized strollers into the elevators in the medical centers. Can't wait to read more!

Ha! Ha! Even in a “commercial” elevator over here you can’t get more than one stroller and a few riders. I know, I 💕 the bag too. It’s canvas and has a zipper - it’s going to be a great beach bag this summer.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday 28 December - heading to WDW

Surprisingly, the trip down to Orlando was relatively easy. I think the fact that C and I had stayed in a hotel through the morning before, so we only had our carry-on bags to deal with meant that we were ready "whenever" and from an observer's perspective, it seemed that my sister and her husband were more organised as well. Again, maybe the fact that we'd stayed in a hotel for most of the week contributed to that.

(Disclaimer: Caraïbes keeps trying to "help" me type ... so I can't guarantee that I'll find and remove all her "kitty keystrokes" :joyfull:)

We left on time for the airport, parked in long-term parking and took the shuttle. I had checked C and I in on-line, which meant we should have only needed to print our boarding passes and drop our bags. But it wasn't allowing us to print them, and as we had Sky Priority and no one was in line, we hopped in line. My sister when to check her and her husband in at the kiosk, and by then there was a small line for their check in. Our "no line" ended up being much slower than my sister's ... just as we were going to move to the available agent, around the corner comes an airport worker pushing an entire trolley FILLED with luggage, leading a woman. Really?! From what I gathered, she was a coach or group leader for some sort of sports team or club and was doing the bag drop for the entire group! Always looking for the glass half-full side of a story, I told myself that I ended up better off, as when the next agent was available, she said absolutely nothing about my over the limit suitcase and just stuck a heavy tag on it. My sister and BIL sat nearby waiting for us to be done.

Our bags finally dropped, we all headed for security. My sister had TSA pre-check but her husband didn't. C and I had Sky Priority. This left me in a bit of a quandary - I know my sister (K) worries about leaving her husband on his own, because he has an artistic streak and can get easily distracted. He also jokes around a lot as a coping mechanism, and I know she worries he'll make the wrong kind of joke at the wrong time going through security. So K heads off to the pre-check lane without a glance back, and I'm stuck between C, who was NOT going to get into the regular (longer) line and not wanting to have my sister mad at me. Now, it's not like she said I was to keep my BIL on a short leash. It's more like I'm supposed to know that is what she expects me to do. We get to the fork in the road: do C and I continue with the Sky Priority lane or do we babysit my BIL? He tells us we can go off and he IS an adult so I follow C. One thing that annoys me about airport security is that not one airport does it the same (at least that is our experience). Shoes stay on? Take shoes off? Electronics stay in the bag? Take them out? So I try to watch the stupid video and follow instructions. Except at this airport (or maybe it is all?) There are instructions for pre-check and instructions for the other lanes ... which are all on the same video. And I missed that the video had "switched" from what the masses do and what pre-check does and I left my iPad in the suitcase. While one person started to tell me off, another smiled at me and said "don't worry about it; it happens all the time". We make it through, my sister has made it through and by the time we walk over to her, my BIL is almost finished as well.

We head downstairs to the gate, and C and I decide to go to the restroom; we tell my sister and head off. She says nothing about going in search of food (we ate lunch just before heading to the airport). We come back to the gate, I THOUGHT they were making an announcement about preboarding (it was for giving up your carryon) and neither my sister nor her husband are ANYWHERE. But then they DO start making an announcement that boarding will be starting soon... My sister comes up, ok I figure, all is fine. And then suddenly she realizes that her husband was no longer following her. Slight panic, because he is not very good about answering his phone, looking at messages... Just when I think my sister is going to lose it and they will not make it to 40 years together, my BIL comes ambling up with a "Hey y'all". We boarded just minutes afterward.

Why is it that no matter what airport we come from into Orlando, we are ALWAYS the furthest gate out?! After our "short" jaunt through the terminal, we are on for the Fonorail:

IMG_0139-2.JPG

Magical Express here we come!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
As we made our way to the Magical Express I suddenly questioned why I thought it was a better idea to put our magic bands in our carry on rather than wear them. So of course I had to stop, open up the carry on, and pull out our magic bands. My sister and her husband were already wearing theirs.

We arrive at the entrance to Magical Express, K and S (my BIL) get their bands scanned and I stop to tell the CM that we had 3 suitcases but only 2 yellow tags. Weeks before our trip I had asked my sister how many tags came in the envelope; I got the answer about a week before our before we were leaving on our trip, when I was trying to get as much off my desk as work as possible, when C had tons of activities planned (most of which got cancelled when she caught a stomach bug), when I suddenly had to take a train 3 hours to Paris and back in the same day because my boss and I needed to show we had started a negotiation in 2019 (on the only "free" day I had until our - meaning there were no meetings scheduled at work or appointments scheduled outside of work). And my sister wondered why I didn't call to ask for them to send more... I'd looked at the FAQs and it said if you didn't get them, or didn't have enough that you could give the luggage tag information at ME check in. The CM confirmed but said it's kind of a busy day ... it might take several hours before they locate the suitcase and it arrives at the hotel (at this point it was about 4:45 pm). I told him I'd anticipated that - I put the two yellow tags on the two suitcases that we would need for our stay and the other one was filled with things not needed until we arrived home.

By the time this exchange was over (all of about 3 mins total from when K and S scanned their bands) and we looked behind us and there was suddenly TONS of people coming towards ME. I wished the CM luck and to have a nice rest of the day ... he said he would because his work day was finishing in a few minutes.

Despite seeing that there were several busses we still had to wait a bit, maybe 10 minutes, before they started letting people from our line go toward the busses. As K and S were in front of us, they reached the bus first and when my BIL gave over his carry-on I heard the CM ask him where he was staying. I also say the look of confusion on my BIL face when the follow question was "French Quarter or Riverside". By now we were close enough that I could answer "Riverside" for him while handing off our carry-ons as well.

We got on the bus and settled in. I realized I had made a strategic error: I was sitting by the window, but C has better eyes for taking pictures. Here is the picture she tried to get of the welcome sign:

Bad pic of disney sign.JPG

It was a good effort, but we were about halfway back in the bus and she was on the aisle. So then I tried from the window seat and only ended up with part of the sign:

Slightly better sign.JPG

Up next: we arrive in Port Orleans - Riverside

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
Same thing happens to us! Not only in Orlando, but at every airport!

Love your turquoise hoodie! :inlove:

The turquoise hoodie is from shopDisney - it is IASW themed. And it is really light weight - perfect for me who needs to put on something in air conditioning but not too heavy so if you don’t get around to taking it off immediately outside you don’t melt.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
28 December, continued

After making three stops, we finally made it to Port Orleans Riverside. We purposefully chose not to do on-line check in for several reasons. First, we’d never stayed (or visited POR) before, so we thought it would be a good idea to get a map, etc. Secondly, we wanted to make sure our rooms were close. When C was younger, it was more important as I would need someone to come be with her if I wanted to get a coffee or something, but now it is simply for convenience sake. Thirdly, we needed to make sure that the right tickets were going to be used and needed to ensure that the priority was in the right order. We all still have at least one day left of a non-expiring ticket bought years ago and C and I have another non expiring ticket that we will eventually use with friends of ours from over here. Plus I had an IASW Magic band that I had bought a few months ago from shopDisney (just weeks before you could order them instead of solid color bands!) but I kept getting an error message when I tried to link it.

We got off the ME, grabbed our carry ons and headed inside. We were assisted by a very nice CM from Australia. She was helping both me and my sister concurrently, and I was chatting with her, asking her when she would be going back home and also asked if the Beignet Fun Run would be going on the following morning. During all this there was a bit of back and forth, and she said she would eventually need to go to the next counter to get someone to help with the ticket order.

My sister was suddenly no longer standing next to me, but I just assumed she and her husband S were sitting with C. Finally IASW magic band linked, registration for the Beignet Fun run paid for, and assurances that our ticket order was corrected (this is not foreshadowing - everything was in order), I turned to tell my sister we were good to go. K and S are nowhere to be seen! I ask C, who of course like a normal 14 yo had her nose in her phone. She shrugs her shoulders when I ask where her aunt and uncle had gone. I was a bit peeved only because I didn’t know if they were wandering in Fultons, and expecting us to come find them, or if they had gone to their room ... it turned out to be the latter, but a heads up would have been nice.

C and I decided to go to our room; we knew that the rooms were next to one another, so if they weren’t in their room I could call or text them. We had booked river view Royal rooms, and our rooms were in the very last Parterre Place building. On the one hand, there were certainly slightly closer rooms, on the other hand, they weren’t that far and were incredibly peaceful and quiet. We get to our room and sure enough, K and S are in theirs. When I made a comment to K about it, she said “you were being chatty”. I bit my tongue a bit and just nicely said that I had taken care of the ticket order for them while I was doing everything else.

Initially we had been thinking that we could maybe go to Disney Springs for dinnerme, but by this time we were all a bit tired and getting hungry, so we decided to stay at either POR or POFQ for dinner. I looked on MDE to see if getting a reservation at Boatwrights was possible. It was, but not for at least an hour and a half. We quickly nixed that idea. We then looked at the menus for both quick service locations and decide to walk over to POFQ. We all liked our meals. My BIL and I both got some sort of rice bowl, but I have no recollection of what K got, and C got a burger and fries. C also got a cupcake, which she really liked 😉

7D5EE4C5-3AAF-4E5E-8659-EBAABE363587.jpeg

Walking back, we had a bit more time to look at the street names; C and I would chuckle at a few that were clearly meant to be play on words in French.

Back in the room, we were tired but needed to wait for our luggage to arrive. I was glad that they came when they did, around 9:30 or so, as I was starting to get tired and didn’t want to have to force myself to stay awake. Of course, only the 2 suitcases with the yellow tags were delivered. I asked the CM if it would be possible for them NOT to deliver the other one until morning, and was so glad when he said it was.

We ... strike that ... I unpacked and climbed into bed to watch Netflix. Other than her bathroom stuff, C does not willingly unpack.

Up next: I run for beignets.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
Late, but here! Gorgeous kitties and I am in love with the colors in that throw the black kitty is sitting on.

Good to have you along. There will be Disney ducks ... pictures taken specifically for you 😊

My sister crocheted the throw to pull together the accents in my living room. She’s probably the person who gave me the pillow as well.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, 29 December

As I had already signed up and paid for my Beignet Fun Run, I set the alarm for shortly after 7:00 am, but I was awake before my alarm (this is typically the case at home and on vacation - an alarm for me is a "just in case" measure, or to keep me aware of time). The evening before we had really spotty wifi, and this morning there was absolutely no wifi. It wasn't a huge problem for me, as I had to buy a data package the week before in order to use google maps, but it would turn out to be a problem for C, as I didn't want to buy a data package for her, knowing she'd blow it all in the first day watching YouTube videos.

Doing the Fun Run was something I really wanted to do ever since someone else had posted about it (probably in the running sub forum). I had started running a few years ago thanks to RunDisney France. I was NOT a runner, but had always been jealous reading about RunDisney races. And suddenly there was an announcement that RunDisney was going to do a race at DLP in 2016. I was also going to be 50 in 2016, and wanted something to motivate me to start getting in shape and also to do something that I had never done before. Then the dates for the weekend were announced, and it turned out it was my birthday weekend. That settled it, I knew what I was going to do to celebrate the big 5-0. My bestie's husband told his wife that they needed to support me in this goal, so they also trained and ran it too (much faster than me, but I did manage to finish without getting swept!)

IMG_1115.JPG

When my alarm went off, I started getting dressed for the Beignet Fun Run; I had set everything out the night before, including my earbuds, so that I wouldn't need to turn on too many lights or open up too many drawers since C was still sleeping. Just before I headed off, she woke up. I started walking over to the check in spot and as I had walked over to the other side of the river I realised that I had forgotten my earbuds. No big deal; the Fun Run is only about 1.5 miles. I now usually do at least double that for any "normal" workout. What was a big deal was the rain. It had been spitting a bit as I walked over, but by the time I had signed in and pinned my bib on, it was raining harder and harder. The rain itself isn't a problem, it's that I more or less have to run blind in the rain if I don't have a baseball cap (I did not think of bringing a baseball cap). There are so many products out there for runners, I don't understand why someone has not yet designed glasses with wipers on them.

The run was ... as it is named ... fun (even with the rain). And kudos to the various Port Orleans CM who were out there to encourage us at different areas. I chose to run in the rain; they did not have a choice to be out in the rain.

run table.jpg
run finish.jpg
fun run sign.jpg
IMG_0281.JPG

At the end of the Fun Run you get 3 mickey beignets. Despite the fact that no one else in my party participated with me ... or came out of the room that I ran past (I'm still a bit peeved about that), I shared the beignets. And to be honest, I'm glad I did because we had brunch reservations in Disney Springs that morning.

Next up: A yummy brunch and some more rain

HouCuseChickie

Love that you got to do the beignet fun run. I know there are several resort runs, but I've heard that one is particularly good. Cute that you get the mask on the beads as race bling. I'm sure my family would also do the same if I ran one of these. I'd be meeting up with them at the room afterwards.

Oh yeah...also a big fan of the hoodie!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom