They are baack

UNCgolf

The only thing I can think of was the Monstrous Summer event years ago, which was one of the first 24 hour parties at Magic Kingdom. All of the park hoppers from Epcot and Hollywood Studios showed up right when the Magic Kingdom day guests were trying to leave, and the crush of humanity trying to go both directions on Main Street felt legitimately dangerous. It's the only time I've ever felt unsafe in a Disney park.

I didn't feel unsafe -- I was just briefly stunned at the entitlement. Then I laughed at her and she stormed off.

AFoodie

I just have to say that I appreciate the people who had the courage to stand up and speak out against this openly offensive behavior. It’s very rare that POCs get support in such situations, and instead, we’re all told to stop “being so sensitive.” It gives me hope that maybe some day, this passive discrimination behavior will change!

DfromATX

Anytime you get big groups you get comments about them, whether pop Warner, cheerleaders, or tour groups… primarily because large groups are noticeable and take up a lot of space.

There’s foreign tourists at WDW at all times and no one cares because no one notices a family.

I always thought the Brazilian tour group jokes were overblown until I ran into a group of about 50 chanting in Epcot, then I got it. When they ended up going to the same ride and I ended up behind an extra 50 people in line I really noticed it.

I didn’t see anything negative about the OP, it’s humor. As others have said I’m sure the French say the same when big US groups show up at DL Paris.

Oh yeah, no offense from me either. And it's the truth, they ARE known for it, but you are right, it could be any tour group - especially any large group of teens without their parents. Party time lol.

Clap, clap, clap, "BRA-ZIL, BRA-ZIL". One time I was in line at Mt. Everest and they were just about to start chanting and the cast member quickly and firmly said, "Not in here." I can also remember walking towards a paper fast pass kiosk and seeing ONE person scanning ALL their tickets. Now that was annoying. But in all truthfulness, it's been quite a few years since I've seen them.

DfromATX

I know a number of Brazilians and some are my friends on FB. They are friendly but generally being polite is not part of their culture. A typical Brazilian would say " Give me this ", and a polite person would say " Could I have this " as examples. The tour groups in general come from well to do families from Rio, Sao Paolo and they can treat others like they were their servants/ and or not disregard rules and policies. Even though both the USA and Brazil had slavery and we have all gotten rid of that terrible past, in some eyes, some may think Brazilians treat others like they were their servants. One may be shocked to know that some of the songs they sing in loud unison are rude, and very sexual in nature in the theme parks but we the clueless ones who many don't even understand Portuguese don't even get what they are saying.

I have a Brazilian doctor and we have talked about this before. He would agree with your post. He said it's just the way they are, a cultural thing. They are a rowdy, festive bunch. Nothing rude or offensive about it. It is what it is. We all have some built-in cultural characteristics.

Piebald

I'm a Spanish citizen (acquired through ancestry), but my Spanish is extremely Puerto Rican.

The only time I got crap for my accent while in Spain, I replied "of course I speak this way, you !@#!@# abandoned us to the US!". The person's face turned a shade of red I can't even begin to describe.
My parents are Spanish and Colombian. I was born in the US and almost everyone is surprised to learn I speak Spanish because "I don't look Spanish", whatever that even means.

My Spanish is neutral. I dont subscribe to ceceo and my slang is a bit of both cultures but if I consciously avoid specific slang I dont think anyone could guess where my Spanish is from. The few times someone has been curious they've just asked me if I'm Mexican lol

Lilofan

My parents are Spanish and Colombian. I was born in the US and almost everyone is surprised to learn I speak Spanish because "I don't look Spanish", whatever that even means.

My Spanish is neutral. I dont subscribe to ceceo and my slang is a bit of both cultures but if I consciously avoid specific slang I dont think anyone could guess where my Spanish is from. The few times someone has been curious they've just asked me if I'm Mexican lol
One aspect of speaking and understanding Spanish is one at times can negotiate better deals with work being done.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
almost everyone is surprised to learn I speak Spanish because "I don't look Spanish", whatever that even means.
SAME! In my case, I'm light skinned with blonde hair and green eyes. A simple "so... where is Spain located?" usually ends that discussion.

Mine is very Puerto Rican, but upper-class educated, so it sounds almost like a neutral Caribbean/Canary Islands Spanish. When I've been in Cuba and the Dominican Republic, people assume I'm local by hearing me speak, and are surprised to hear that i'm Puerto Rican.

Living in Miami, people assume I'm Cuban until they're corrected.

DfromATX

My husband is Iranian and his native language is Farsi, but we live in Texas where Spanish is widely spoken. All the time people randomly start speaking Spanish to him. I'm surprised that people would be surprised you speak it since it's such a commonly spoken language (at least where I am).

We visited Germany a few years back. I can remember anytime I was by myself people would speak to me in German, but if he was with me then they spoke English. I guess by myself they thought I was one of them (and I do have Czech/German ancestry so I look like a typical German I guess?), but with him by me they knew we were tourists lol.

ppete1975

Not true. I saw Brazilian super greeter cast as recently as a few years ago when we were in Epcot.
I was more talking about the recent butchering of jobs since the pandemic. Then again, it would be hard to judge if there havent been the normal tour groups.

Texas84

TBH, the cheerleaders are just as bad. And I've never heard so many F-bombs at WDW as I have during Jersey week. At least they don't chant.

Goofyernmost

You know the weirdest thing about this country (USA) is that we work so hard at identifying our ancestry instead of where we were born. Ancestry is actually that place that dead relatives directly came from, not where you physically were born in. I liked knowing what mixtures we almost all have because most of us grew up in a culture that didn't have the first question before dating was "So, what nationality are you?" I was born in the USA and I am of American ancestry, where my family came from in the 1600's is of no importance anymore. We are one of the only nations that do that. If you were born in Japan you are Japanese, France you are French. Here we are all mongrels, which probably explains our bazaar behavior. It makes for a much more interesting location if we could only allow ourselves to mature enough to stop trying to think that our relatives backgrounds are better then the others.

IanDLBZF

I saw rather few of them (most from Paraguay and Ecuador) back in July.
This thread is pathetic and is an embarrassment to this forum.
And while I do dread these tour groups myself, it is easy to say that this is discrimination based on National Origin.
South American Tour Groups (as the name implies) doesn't just apply to Brazil, but to other South American, Central American, and to maybe a few Caribbean Countries.

networkpro

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Fine.

I'll only preserve the privilege of our own home grown, corn-fed, US-made all-American brats.

murica GIF

As the OP , I won't. I was pointing out specifically that with the easing of international travel restrictions, tour groups were reappearing. Up to that point I hadn't seen non-familiar groups at the parks since reopening.

Lilofan

Anyone remember when Obama made a last minute appearance at MK, spoke in front of the castle in front of invited guests including Iger , the park had a delayed opening for guests ? He talked about something near and dear to FL - tourism and specifically Brazilian tourism in Central Florida . FL needs Brazilians and anyone else's money who can support FL's #1 industry.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Fine.

I'll only preserve the privilege of our own home grown, corn-fed, US-made all-American brats.

murica GIF
Why? I won't. There are obnoxious privileged brats in Brazil, in America, in Russia, in Hong Kong, in India. I'll call all of them out, unhampered by US neuroses.

Cultures are different, such is the richness of our wonderful diverse world. So people behave differently. 'Rich, White, Rio' is a different sociological category than 'Crazy Rich, Chinese, Singapore', each having their own distinct behaviour sets. And when a behaviour clashes with common cultural values elsewhere, in our example, loud chanting in a theatrical environment, then it can be named and it can be adressed.

The Empress Lilly

Anyone remember when Obama made a last minute appearance at MK, spoke in front of the castle in front of invited guests including Iger , the park had a delayed opening for guests ? He talked about something near and dear to FL - tourism and specifically Brazilian tourism in Central Florida . FL needs Brazilians and anyone else's money who can support FL's #1 industry.
Should misbehaviour by US teenagers in Mexico, or Australian teenagers in Bali, or British teenagers in Mallorca, be tolerated just because it makes money for a few big corporations?

Brazil is a normal country, with normal people, most of whom sometimes behave appropriately and sometimes not. We can just approach them as such. They are not endangered seal puppies in need of protection.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom