They are baack

LittleBuford

Is chanting and clapping like they are at a football match common for british teens running around?
British teens don't generally go on organised group tours, so it's impossible to draw an exact comparison, but groups of British teens abroad (and indeed in the UK itself) can behave very rowdily indeed.

LittleBuford

So great job creating a non-sensical situation to try to counter actual things that DO happen.
The point is that such behaviours aren't contingent on nationality. To complain about large groups of disruptive teenagers at WDW is one thing; to continually draw attention to the foreignness of those groups (overlooking the existence of homegrown groups engaging in similar rowdiness) is quite another.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The point is that such behaviours aren't contingent on nationality.

Correct - They are behaviors that tend to be cultural - which do trend towards Nationality. Because it's BEHAVIOR that is normally acceptable/allowed to them... which is something that doesn't happen in isolation.

You ever watch Carnival in Rio? Or a South American football match? And you think there is no association at all between how these kids behave and where they come from?

Put down the PC cross - Stereotypes are not all evil. You can't possibly try to argue the observations about these groups doesn't happen and isn't real... nor that there isn't an association with where they are from.

To complain about large groups of disruptive teenagers at WDW is one thing; to continually draw attention to the foreignness of those groups (overlooking the existence of homegrown groups engaging in similar rowdiness) is quite another.

Luckily for most WDW visitors, the domestic cheer groups are pretty condensed into when they visit the parks and generally are the only ones that even approach this level. The school trips, the band trips, the pop kids, etc etc etc don't have nearly the same disruptive behavior while in the parks. Nor are they are as prevalent and distinguishable.

None of these groups are being offended by being labeled or sterotyped as Brazilian. That's part of the mindset - to be proud of your heritage and traditions.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
They can also be dismissive/haughty about what they consider American (as in North/South America and the Caribbean, not specifically the US) Spanish because of different word meanings etc.

My brother-in-law was told he was speaking Mexican (as opposed to Spanish) because of some word he used that has a more general meaning here and a more specific meaning in Spain.

I'm a Spanish citizen (acquired through ancestry), but my Spanish is extremely Puerto Rican.

The only time I got crap for my accent while in Spain, I replied "of course I speak this way, you !@#!@# abandoned us to the US!". The person's face turned a shade of red I can't even begin to describe.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Correct - They are behaviors that tend to be cultural - which do trend towards Nationality. Because it's BEHAVIOR that is normally acceptable/allowed to them... which is something that doesn't happen in isolation.

You ever watch Carnival in Rio? Or a South American football match? And you think there is no association at all between how these kids behave and where they come from?

Put down the PC cross - Stereotypes are not all evil. You can't possibly try to argue the observations about these groups doesn't happen and isn't real... nor that there isn't an association with where they are from.

Luckily for most WDW visitors, the domestic cheer groups are pretty condensed into when they visit the parks and generally are the only ones that even approach this level. The school trips, the band trips, the pop kids, etc etc etc don't have nearly the same disruptive behavior while in the parks. Nor are they are as prevalent and distinguishable.

None of these groups are being offended by being labeled or sterotyped as Brazilian. That's part of the mindset - to be proud of your heritage and traditions.
In regards to the Pop Warner football kids , a few making it to the NFL, I would think 2x about misbehaving . At the next practice, the coaches may make it an intense one for us to pay dearly for our misbehavings.

Ayla

And this is also nothing new. The Brazilian tour groups were infamous for this even back in the 70s and 80s.

You never heard complaints about the Asian tour groups (I don't even know if they still visit Disney World in significant numbers, now that Japan and China both have Disney resorts), because they generally were quiet, and respectful of other peoples' space.
That is not the least bit true in my experience. Multiple tour groups from Japan totally ruined our visit to Butchart Gardens.

Lilofan

I know a number of Brazilians and some are my friends on FB. They are friendly but generally being polite is not part of their culture. A typical Brazilian would say " Give me this ", and a polite person would say " Could I have this " as examples. The tour groups in general come from well to do families from Rio, Sao Paolo and they can treat others like they were their servants/ and or not disregard rules and policies. Even though both the USA and Brazil had slavery and we have all gotten rid of that terrible past, in some eyes, some may think Brazilians treat others like they were their servants. One may be shocked to know that some of the songs they sing in loud unison are rude, and very sexual in nature in the theme parks but we the clueless ones who many don't even understand Portuguese don't even get what they are saying.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I have literally never seen that.

I've seen it happen at least once every single time I've been to WDW; I'm shocked that you've never seen it. To be fair, sometimes they are yelling at each other rather than other guests or CMs.

Last time I was there a woman in her 40s or 50s was extremely rude to us for only having two people sitting at a table that had five chairs at the outdoor seating area near the UK pavilion, as though we should have just eaten standing up if we weren't going to take up all available space. It was absurd.

I've also never had any problems with tour groups -- that same last trip was the first time I've ever seen one (it was huge; probably 40+ people) but they seemed well behaved. I recognize that just because I didn't have a bad experience doesn't mean it doesn't exist/isn't common, though.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Somehow that seems to be more of a teen thing than a where they are from thing :)
Indeed. That's exactly the point I was trying to make, though it seems to have got lost along the way, for which I apologise. The reason I mentioned British teens specifically is that I myself am British and wanted to underscore the fact that I wasn't pointing fingers at other nationalities.

CaptainAmerica

I've seen it happen at least once every single time I've been to WDW; I'm shocked that you've never seen it. To be fair, sometimes they are yelling at each other rather than other guests or CMs.

Last time I was there a woman in her 40s or 50s was extremely rude to us for only having two people sitting at a table that had five chairs at the outdoor seating area near the UK pavilion, as though we should have just eaten standing up if we weren't going to take up all available space. It was absurd.

I've also never had any problems with tour groups -- that same last trip was the first time I've ever seen one (it was huge; probably 40+ people) but they seemed well behaved. I recognize that just because I didn't have a bad experience doesn't mean it doesn't exist/isn't common, though.
The only thing I can think of was the Monstrous Summer event years ago, which was one of the first 24 hour parties at Magic Kingdom. All of the park hoppers from Epcot and Hollywood Studios showed up right when the Magic Kingdom day guests were trying to leave, and the crush of humanity trying to go both directions on Main Street felt legitimately dangerous. It's the only time I've ever felt unsafe in a Disney park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom