They are baack

Heppenheimer

Now we know what Europe thinks about us when we show up there. Oh no, not those damn American English speakers again.
Believe it or not, now that the whole world can afford trips to Europe (or did, prior to COVID), Americans in Europe have mostly faded into the background. We don't tend to visit with large tour groups nearly as much as the Chinese, Arabs or Indians, so we barely even get noticed anymore. Pretty much everyone dresses similarly these days on vacation (minus some cultural-specific clothing for some Muslim and Indian women), so you can't even really spot us by our clothing.

The one sure-fire way to identify a US or Canadian citizen in Europe, though, is if they're carrying the tell-tale Rick Steves guidebook. No tourists from other countries use this series.

Last edited:

jloucks

When 49 of those 50 push past you in a slow line to join up with the one person who’s been waiting a few spots ahead of you, you really notice them!
I make a scene when this happens, every time.

It all goes back to my big peeve about not respecting my time. Ima call you on it every time, don't care who your are or what your excuse is.

This was one of my biggest negative memories about a visit to WDW. An U.S. cheer squad pulled this stunt at a bus line. 3 girls held a spot, and 30 more showed up. Public shaming happened.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I beg to differ. American men (the straight ones, anyway) very often wear clothing that would be considered oversized in Europe, where more fitted cuts are generally preferred.
On top of that, you can also spot an American family on vacation if they are larger in size... statistically speaking.

ppete1975

I could care less what country you are from, what race, sex or who you love. But disney should do better about the chanting and cutting (even if its to do something with the code of conduct). If nobody says anything (disney) then they dont even realize they are doing something outside the cultural norm. Also they could talk to the tour groups, and people in charge of them (this isnt acceptable and you can be asked to leave, please control your group). BTW I feel the same way about the cheerleaders when their activities interfere with other vacationers. As far as cutters.. if it bothers you, dont let them.

Heppenheimer

I beg to differ. American men (the straight ones, anyway) very often wear clothing that would be considered oversized in Europe, where more fitted cuts are generally preferred.
I vastly prefer European tailoring for this reason. Our men's clothes over here tend to have a very boxy, unflattering cut.

Anyways, the point being that the days of the "Ugly American" tourist drawing disproportionate attention to themselves through loud, abrasive behavior in Europe are generally over. Those types generally stay state-side for their vacations now:

Lilofan

I could care less what country you are from, what race, sex or who you love. But disney should do better about the chanting and cutting (even if its to do something with the code of conduct). If nobody says anything (disney) then they dont even realize they are doing something outside the cultural norm. Also they could talk to the tour groups, and people in charge of them (this isnt acceptable and you can be asked to leave, please control your group). BTW I feel the same way about the cheerleaders when their activities interfere with other vacationers. As far as cutters.. if it bothers you, dont let them.
WDW several years ago hired Brazilian super greeters which were part of the International CP program for this purpose. Dressed in green and khaki they are fluent in English and Portuguese stationed in Future World and World Showcase.

castlecake2.0

So if I go to, say, Iran, Japan, Italy, China, and only speak English, and don't study their cultures or even try to even remotely shape my processes to their way of life.. should everyone abide by my ways anyway because I'm a foreigner in their home?
Not to be rude, but did you read what that phrase means? I’m simply saying that singling out a group of kids in a negative way based on their language seems off to me. Never said anything like what you just wrote.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Not to be rude, but did you read what that phrase means? I’m simply saying that singling out a group of kids in a negative way based on their language seems off to me. Never said anything like what you just wrote.

You're not being rude at all. My question was what i understood the OP to be referring to.

UNCgolf

I've seen open racism towards people of color especially in Spain.

Spain and Italy both have racism problems; I was only talking about speaking English.

With that said, I don't think they're any more racist than people in the US. The people that are racist are just more open about it because they never had a significant civil rights movement or anything like that, which eventually forced American racists to be more circumspect about their racism (for the most part).

Last edited:

ppete1975

So if I go to, say, Iran, Japan, Italy, China, and only speak English, and don't study their cultures or even try to even remotely shape my processes to their way of life.. should everyone abide by my ways anyway because I'm a foreigner in their home?
well technically america doesnt have an official language :) But the bigger thing is in theory america is the melting pot and we are supposed to not judge others... in theory... but yes go to most countries without learning their cultures and refusing to speak their language loudly can be bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom