Theory, DCA is becoming a movie Park

Tank Man

Original Poster
I actually agree with you. Even though the outdoor Test Track, um, er, Cars Land, ride is fantastic, I liked a lot of the research and love for California that was put into the park. It was landlocked and had cheap carnival rides put in, which affected its value, though. But I think if they had had more budget and time, it was on the way to something uniquely California, and good, I think.

And like other Disney parks, I think some smart use of IP would have worked without compromising the California narrative that was going on, and which matched the Grand Californian that was part of an entrance. Even the landscape of the Grizzly River Run grew.

But overall I think the park suffered from a perception of cheap off-the-shelf rides (including even the Grizzly River Run itself, but especially the pier area rides) that proliferated and were not up to the standards set next door. They were literally building next to the most iconic and revered theme park -- the one that defined "theme park". So to have so many off-the-shelf rides so obvious really hurt it, I think, despite beautiful and well-researched theming.

The theming would have succeeded with more well-done, Imagineering-quality rides. And, yes, Tower of Terror could be included in that idea -- they even built that on the cheap (smaller in scale). But I do think its theme was perfect for the area. And when I rode it, the cast members were much more "into it" than ones I have encountered at WDW.
Current going plans:
As I finish E”E” I am working on my next project for a DCA reimagining. Cars land might stay as I am in early planning, dunno about Pixar Pier as it is ok but the Incredicoaster is straight out cheap and a bit underwhelming. I think on bringing ToT back, not related to Twilight zone anymore, might be original or might tie it into a bit of Marvel so marvel land makes sense but ToT might just use a marvel magic villain or something. Don’t judge as I am in the early works and I am thinking of it becoming the Tower of Terror with illusions and magic but not fully overblown with marvel as I hope on expanding Hollywood land and pushing a bit of Marvel into it. Grizzly Peak will be overhauled and maybe combine the roller coaster in Hong Kong and river run in DCA. The redwood area is ok but could become a amazing attraction so the redwood play area is going. Pixar Pier might still stay and I want to cut the Incredicoaster (no idea yet). Then the area opposing the pier will be gutted for something else.

Californian Elitist

USH is both,
The only studios thing they have are the tram tours, WaterWorld and the fact that it is a studios but I meant by USF, which is a full on movies park

The inclusion of a working movie studio is the only thing that makes a a theme park an actual studio park.

Water World has nothing to do with USH being a studios park.

Tank Man

Original Poster
The inclusion of a working movie studio is the only thing that makes a a theme park an actual studio park.

Water World has nothing to do with USH being a studios park.
Just by the way it works it feels like a stunt show, as it is a stunt show. Showing how they make stunts in the movies,
That is what Universal was trying to do with WaterWorld and the same is for DHS Indy stunt show

Rich T

DCA will become a theme park mostly devoted to movies and television in the way that a frog doesn't know he's slowly being boiled. It's already mostly there. All it needs is one big Dwayne Johnson movie of Grizzly River Run (park ranger gets involved in a rapids competition to re-bond with his kids) and voy-oh-lah, the transformation is complete.

Disney Cinematic Arts... park. :D

Tank Man

Original Poster
DCA will become a theme park mostly devoted to movies and television in the way that a frog doesn't know he's slowly being boiled. It's already mostly there. All it needs is one big Dwayne Johnson movie of Grizzly River Run (park ranger gets involved in a rapids competition to re-bond with his kids) and voy-oh-lah, the transformation is complete.

Disney Cinematic Arts... park. :D
Hah,
We already got one, Jumanji

Californian Elitist

Just by the way it works it feels like a stunt show, as it is a stunt show. Showing how they make stunts in the movies,
That is what Universal was trying to do with WaterWorld and the same is for DHS Indy stunt show

The functioning studio is the main and really only thing that matters.

mickEblu

I actually agree with you. Even though the outdoor Test Track, um, er, Cars Land, ride is fantastic, I liked a lot of the research and love for California that was put into the park. It was landlocked and had cheap carnival rides put in, which affected its value, though. But I think if they had had more budget and time, it was on the way to something uniquely California, and good, I think.

And like other Disney parks, I think some smart use of IP would have worked without compromising the California narrative that was going on, and which matched the Grand Californian that was part of an entrance. Even the landscape of the Grizzly River Run grew.

But overall I think the park suffered from a perception of cheap off-the-shelf rides (including even the Grizzly River Run itself, but especially the pier area rides) that proliferated and were not up to the standards set next door. They were literally building next to the most iconic and revered theme park -- the one that defined "theme park". So to have so many off-the-shelf rides so obvious really hurt it, I think, despite beautiful and well-researched theming.

The theming would have succeeded with more well-done, Imagineering-quality rides. And, yes, Tower of Terror could be included in that idea -- they even built that on the cheap (smaller in scale). But I do think its theme was perfect for the area. And when I rode it, the cast members were much more "into it" than ones I have encountered at WDW.

You can’t just say imagineering quality rides anymore. You know have to put a date on it like imagineering circa 1985 or imagineering circa 1965

Professortango1

Well,
Does anyone have any ideas on what DCA could have in the future as I am apparently not good enough
Also DCA is my next armchair imagineering project and I did this as a test as I am wrapping up Epcot “Evolution”

Bring back TOT, retheme Hollywood Land to embrace a world of 1940's glitz with movie stars, gangsters, and bustling atmosphere. Add a ride to replace Muppet Vision/Millionaire/Hollywood & Dine themed around Peggy Carter a la Dick Tracy's Crime Stoppers. If Disney wanted the ride to feature their prominent heroes, the ride could feature some type of time travel tech (Prym Particles?) and have a gateway opened which thrusts our modern day Avengers crew into this 1940's to help us/Peggy Carter.

Create Redwood Creek Challenge Trail around the walkways of Grizzly near Soarin' with a giant bridge that expands over the walkway into the land. Adds kinetic energy, creates the feeling of exploration and frees up former area to build a new attraction (Alien Encounter but with Bigfoot/Wendigo?). Add AA's and music to GRR.

Turn everything from the western helix to Little Mermaid into San Francisco with a Chinatown area in the corner featuring a Chinese Dragon indoor coaster with fireworks going off as you dance through the streets celebrating the Chinese New Year. Add Mr Toad-style San Francisco darkride where we careen through San Francisco circa 1906 with fireworks factories, cable cars, the Barbary Coast, and an earthquake finale.

Retheme Pixar Pier to 1920's Pier. Disney villains spookhouse added to Eastern Helix, carousel removed to add queue space.

Marvel Land area becomes Mission Square where the Mission style of the Carthay theatre transitions to actual California Missions and a pirates-style E-ticket based upon Zorro/Western River Expedition. Area also features a mine cart slow moving train ride which takes guests in and out of the mines which pepper the hills around the Mission. We see wildlife and have multiple views of the land as we weave overhead and throughout.

Janir

Let me explain. This is a theory but DCA’s idea was bad at the start.
Note: Try and read this in a Mattpat voice (I wrote it in that way)
Michael Eisner must have walked into the Imagineering building and said, people come to California for Disneyland and for the wonders of California. Let’s make a park about California........in California.
The idea won’t hold up as trying to bring someone something when they already have it is bad and DCA is struggling with a theming problem that won’t work. What if they have a huge plan that sadly I have not found any evidence to but they are changing the park into another one slowly.
Why would they be bringing in famous movie IP’s into DCA to bring in the crowds, but what if they have a bigger plan to change DCA into a Walt Disney Studios/Movie Park. The theming won’t work unless they can find a way but most of the lands are based off of IP’s or becoming or can easily be changed. Let me explain my ideas:
-Pixar Pier: [Pixar]​
Originally was Paradise Pier and reopened in mid 2018 with a Pixar theme.​
-Cars Land: [Pixar]​
Opened in 2012 based off of the famous movie, Cars and its sequel Cars 2​
-(Untitled) Marvel land: [Marvel]​
The MCU has made billions upon billions and Disney has not used them in the parks often and they now are which could open late 2020.​
I believe that Marvel land (if successful) could expand into Hollywood land and so one of two non-IP related lands gone and the superhero world might venture into the parking lot behind it for more room. Then the Grizzly peak/Redwood area can be changed into the IP Disney should now use, Fox. They need to embrace the popular franchise into the parks and replacing the grizzly/red wood area with maybe Ice Age could work.

I will have a separate post in the Imagineering forum in about 2-3 weeks, once finished I will put a link as I am taking more time to draw things out and etc.
Have any thoughts, does this seem partially true. Any info or news. Tell me in the comments
Having gone into DCA last fall for the first time, My impression was it was trying to be a version of DHS with IP movie stuff everywhere and the Hollywood feel of the front half of the park. I wonder how much of this DCA wil eventually bleed back into DHS in the east?

DanielBB8

Having gone into DCA last fall for the first time, My impression was it was trying to be a version of DHS with IP movie stuff everywhere and the Hollywood feel of the front half of the park. I wonder how much of this DCA wil eventually bleed back into DHS in the east?
None. Marvel superheroes land is off limits to DHS. The Hollywood Pictures Backlot will soon be swallowed up by Marvel or evolve into something else. Paradise Pier became Pixar Pier, which is it's own version of Toy Story Land. I'm pretty sure this means DHS and DCA will both retain unique designs. Disneyland will get it's own Runaway Railway in Toontown.

Tank Man

Original Poster
None. Marvel superheroes land is off limits to DHS. The Hollywood Pictures Backlot will soon be swallowed up by Marvel or evolve into something else. Paradise Pier became Pixar Pier, which is it's own version of Toy Story Land. I'm pretty sure this means DHS and DCA will both retain unique designs. Disneyland will get it's own Runaway Railway in Toontown.
I am starting to think DCA might become the DHS if the West with all these IP’s tied together with a California theme.
DHS might get a similar theme if this is to be true but probably is not.
But anyways DCA is highly original.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know
I meant that by a “Rock” movie as a lot of his movies are jungle adventures (Jungle Cruise, Jumanji)
But that isn't what you said. And that isn't even a correct statement. Rock hasn't done a lot of Jungle movies. In fact he has done only 2 to date, Rundown and Jumanji, both of which are not Disney movies. Jungle Cruise is out next year, and while a Disney movie but why would Disney theme Grizzly River Run to Jungle Cruise when they already have the original across the Esplanade.

So your statement doesn't even made sense.

TROR

But that isn't what you said. And that isn't even a correct statement. Rock hasn't done a lot of Jungle movies. In fact he has done only 2 to date, Rundown and Jumanji, both of which are not Disney movies. Jungle Cruise is out next year, and while a Disney movie but why would Disney theme Grizzly River Run to Jungle Cruise when they already have the original across the Esplanade.

You forgot Mysterious Island.

Tank Man

Original Poster

He has been in lots of “Adventure” genre movies.
And he has been with Disney a lot for over a decade and soon will still be.
(Race to Witch Mountain, Moana, Jungle Cruise, possibly a Moana 2 but I don’t think that because Moana didn’t do amazing but if we can get a Ralph sequel, we can get a Moana sequel)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom