Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
This thread will showcase changes to Walt Disney World over the years. My intent is to post pairs of photographs, from years ago to present day, of various WDW views to show the changes occurring to WDW. Some changes will be quite apparent (i.e., buildings, vegetation), while other changes will be more subtle (i.e., paint colors, details). You may enjoy "finding the differences" as you review the paired photos. All current photos were taken from as near as possible the exact spot as the original so that the perspective will be the same. However, some conditions were not controllable, such as weather.

I will only post photo pairs on occasion, so stay tuned. I have been collecting these photographs from private individuals and my own collection for some time, so I want to ensure they are accurate comparisons. Enjoy! - WDWtraveler

First photo pair: Then: October 1973. Cinderella Castle as viewed from Fantasyland's Mad Tea Party. The building on the right is Cheshire Café. Note the castle hillside is planted with grass.

009 Oct 1973 Pair.jpg

Now: July 2015. 42 years later, the trees on the hillside obscure most of Cinderella Castle.

Castle fm Fantasyland July 2015 Pair.jpg

Last edited:

Bolt

This thread will showcase changes to Walt Disney World over the years. My intent is to post pairs of photographs, from years ago to present day, of various WDW views to show the changes occurring to WDW. Some changes will be quite apparent (i.e., buildings, vegetation), while other changes will be more subtle (i.e., paint colors, details). You may enjoy "finding the differences" as you review the paired photos. All current photos were taken from as near as possible the exact spot as the original so that the perspective will be the same. However, some conditions were not controllable, such as weather.

I will only post photo pairs on occasion, so stay tuned. I have been collecting these photographs from private individuals and my own collection for some time, so I want to ensure they are accurate comparisons. Enjoy! - WDWtraveler

First photo pair: Then: October 1973. Cinderella Castle as viewed from Fantasyland's Mad Tea Party. The building on the right is Cheshire Café. Note the castle hillside is planted with grass.

View attachment 101071

Now: July 2015. 42 years later, the trees on the hillside obscure most of Cinderella Castle.
View attachment 101072
Too many trees, right?

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Second photo pair. Then: October 1973. The Contemporary resort from the monorail. Big '70's cars in the parking lot. Very few hedges, lots of grass to mow.

012 Oct 1973.jpg

Now: July 2015. The trees grew, and a convention center was added. Note some parts of the building are painted white. SUV's dominate the parking lots. More hedges and planting beds than grass.

IMG_5772 July 2015.JPG

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

Gosh I almost can't imagine those trees being so small once. Nearly makes me wish they had done some thinning at some point, just enough to get some peeks of the castle through the "forest" there.

1973= kids walking
2015=kids in strollers
1973= 3 children: 2 in the 10-13 range and 1 in the 5-7 range. All as noted walking.
2015= 5 (or 6) children: 2 (or 3) in the 0-3 range all in strollers, 2 more in a double stroller (1 in the 4-6 range and 1 in the 7-8 range), and 1 in the 8-12 range walking.

No hypothesis can be made from this data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom