Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Goofyernmost

TSL is pretty boxed in and set on being specifically Toy Story.
Nothing is ever boxed in at WDW unless they want it to be boxed in. For years we heard the whining about the area just to the south of the DHS toll booth as being wet lands and therefore untouchable. However, when they decided to extend the parking lot and build a SW Hotel all of a sudden that problem simply dried up. Who knew that could happen!

Driver

Second photo pair. Then: October 1973. The Contemporary resort from the monorail. Big '70's cars in the parking lot. Very few hedges, lots of grass to mow.

View attachment 101806

Now: July 2015. The trees grew, and a convention center was added. Note some parts of the building are painted white. SUV's dominate the parking lots. More hedges and planting beds than grass.

View attachment 101807
You can't see it in the latest photo but the driveway area close to the building now has the bus stop. Bus service did not exist when the park first opened. I find that vary interesting.

Goofyernmost

You can't see it in the latest photo but the driveway area close to the building now has the bus stop. Bus service did not exist when the park first opened. I find that vary interesting.
When it opened there was no other place to go. Everything was located around MK. Everyone had a vehicle because that was basically the only way to get there. No buses needed. Expansion gave you your job.

Mike S

Nothing is ever boxed in at WDW unless they want it to be boxed in. For years we heard the whining about the area just to the south of the DHS toll booth as being wet lands and therefore untouchable. However, when they decided to extend the parking lot and build a SW Hotel all of a sudden that problem simply dried up. Who knew that could happen!
Shame that wasn’t used for Park developement. I guess it took an extremely expensive hotel concept for them to want to develope that land.

Driver

When it opened there was no other place to go. Everything was located around MK. Everyone had a vehicle because that was basically the only way to get there. No buses needed. Expansion gave you your job.
Oh I know, I just think it's cool to have these photos and comparing then and now.😃

discomouse131

This thread will showcase changes to Walt Disney World over the years. My intent is to post pairs of photographs, from years ago to present day, of various WDW views to show the changes occurring to WDW. Some changes will be quite apparent (i.e., buildings, vegetation), while other changes will be more subtle (i.e., paint colors, details). You may enjoy "finding the differences" as you review the paired photos. All current photos were taken from as near as possible the exact spot as the original so that the perspective will be the same. However, some conditions were not controllable, such as weather.

I will only post photo pairs on occasion, so stay tuned. I have been collecting these photographs from private individuals and my own collection for some time, so I want to ensure they are accurate comparisons. Enjoy! - WDWtraveler

First photo pair: Then: October 1973. Cinderella Castle as viewed from Fantasyland's Mad Tea Party. The building on the right is Cheshire Café. Note the castle hillside is planted with grass.

View attachment 101071

Now: July 2015. 42 years later, the trees on the hillside obscure most of Cinderella Castle.

View attachment 101072
WOW! What a difference a few trees can make! The castle looked so much more elegant in the older photo. Much like the look that the twinkling trees used to give in front of the castle. Way too much concrete nowadays IMO.

mergatroid

Or it is possible to exist without drinking coffee at all. I never even knew that the bakery existed until all the hoopla about Starbucks. On the way in I was heading for rides and had already had breakfast. On the way out I was headed for dining and rest. I never once went to WDW for the food, so, it just was nothing I was interested in. I would think the fact that I am well beyond a little overweight and wasn't drawn in by the bakery is quite remarkable.

That made me laugh far more than it should have, sat here chuckling at your honesty :D

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Thirty-seventh photo pairs. Then: March 2017. The entry to the Centertown building, with the sign on the front tower. No porte cochere then, just a covered walkway to the entrance doors.

IMG_9584.JPG

Now: October 2018. The front tower of the Centertown building was removed and replaced with a porte cochere.

IMG_0795.JPG

Then: March 2017. The view across the "lobby" to the retail store in the background. In March 2017, most of the Centertown "lobby" was populated with merchandize. The bright sunlight on the right is the door leading to the large back patio and pool area. Note the faux balcony in the upper background.

IMG_9294 - Copy.JPG

Now: October 2018. The original building's "lobby" area was returned to an actual lobby, with tables and chairs. In the background where the Calypso Trading Post was located, is the current resort's check-in area (replaces the Custom House). The bright sunlight on the right is still the door leading to the pool area and new Sebastian's Bistro table service restaurant (in a separate building). With USB outlets at every chair and sofa seat (look along the sofa frame near your legs), this is a comfortable and significant upgrade to the lobby.

IMG_0797.JPG

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

Thirty-seventh photo pairs. Then: March 2017. The entry to the Centertown building, with the sign on the front tower. No porte cochere then, just a covered walkway to the entrance doors.

View attachment 319096

Now: October 2018. The front tower to the Centertown building was removed and replaced with a porte cochere.

View attachment 319097

Then: March 2017. The view across the "lobby" to the retail store in the background. In March 2017, most of the Centertown "lobby" was populated with merchandize. The bright sunlight on the right is the door leading to the large back patio and pool area. Note the faux balcony in the upper background.

View attachment 319095

Now: October 2018. The original building's "lobby" area was returned to an actual lobby, with tables and chairs. In the background where the Calypso Trading Post was located, is the current resort's check-in area (replaces the Custom House). The bright sunlight on the right is still the door leading to the pool area and new Sebastian's Bistro table service restaurant (in a separate building). With USB outlets at every chair and sofa seat (look along the sofa frame near your legs), this is a comfortable and significant upgrade to the lobby.

View attachment 319098

Both look like a lot of nice improvements.

fractal

The Tomorrowland waterfalls were switched off for a decade due to the hub bridge becoming slippy in windy conditions. Shame but hey. They had a lot of trouble in the early years with the water on the slopes not being visible. Ridges were added along the top to break the water up. But it was the two tower canons that literally fired water downwards that did the damage weather-wise.

They finally turned off circa 82/3 I believe and stayed off (with murals added) until early 94.

Could the water just be shut off on windy days?

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Thirty-ninth photo pair. Then: July 2017, the old Wolfgang Puck restaurant originally at Downtown Disney West Side. Note the Disney Quest building in the left background.

Now: March 2019, just opened Jaleo restaurant in the same location, Disney Springs West Side.

Then: July 2017.

Now: March 2019. The footprint of the new building appears larger, takes up more space. Note the "Bongos" character above the name of the restaurant next door is missing.

justintheharris

Judging by how uneven it is, I would guess that people were tripping over the individual stones, getting injured and expecting to get their week comped.
I know this comment is years old BUT I have to say, Disneyland's Fantasyland felt so much nicer and I attribute it to the brick and stones that are on the ground. Disney World's Fantasyland just feels... not as whimsical.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Fortieth set of photo pairs. Then: Coronado Springs Resort February 2017. An overview from the balcony of one of the Casitas buildings.

Overview2 Feb 2017.JPG

Now: July 2019. Same view. Two of the Cabana buildings were replaced with the Gran Destino tower. The resort received an updated paint scheme.

Overview2 Jul 2019.JPG

Then: February 2017. The view from the walkway near The Dig Site leading to the Cabanas.

From Cabanas2 Feb 2017.JPG

Now: July 2019.

From Cabanas2 Jul 2019.JPG

Then: February 2017. The view from in front of The Dig Site.

From Pool Feb 2017.JPG

Now: July 2019.

From Pool Jul 2019.JPG

Then: February 2017. The view looking back from the bridge to The Dig Site.

Bridge Feb 2017.JPG

Now: July 2019. The overhead lights attached to the poles may look the same, but they are slightly different. The landscaping around the bridge was also replaced.

Bridge Jul 2019.JPG

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Forty-first photo pair. Then: Epcot March 1983. Canada pavilion as viewed from the center causeway in Epcot. Imagination pavilion on the right, below the monorail beam. Apparently, the rose garden along the walkway didn't exist then. The rose garden consisted of two large planted areas on the embankment. Note on the extreme right in the photo, the railing mounted above the wall is a wooden plank. (Thanks to @montyz81 for the photo posted elsewhere on this website.)

March 1983 fm montyz81.JPG

Now: Epcot August 2019. What a difference 36 years of tree growth makes. The Canada pavilion is all but obscured in this view. The railing mounted above the wall (right side of photo) is a stainless steel tube. A restroom (green roof in center left of photo) was added since 1983.

August 2019.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom