Theme park view at Contemporary

TLR134

Original Poster
Has anyone stayed in a theme park view room at the Contemporary? Is it worth the extra money? Looking to go in mid November. Thanks.

rob0519

Cont_Magic_Kingdom_view_room.jpg
Yes, we have been fortunate to have stayed in the CR Theme Park view multpile times. As surfsupdon said above, they probably are the most expensive parking lot view rooms in the world because you see the parking lot well before you see the MK. We wait for the discounts and only book when we can get 25%-35% off rack rate on room only.

Is it worth the extra money? Well, that's a question only you can answer. First of all, what do you mean by extra? If you were going to stay in the CR with a Bay Lake view, then I would say it's worth the extra money just to see what it's like. If you were moving up from a the WL or a moderate resort it would depend on your budget.

There is no other view like it in the resort. We're not rope drop people, so sitting on balcony at say 07:30-8:00 as the park comes to life listening to the ferry whistle and the train whistle while wathcing the ferry move across the lagoon and the monorails start to make their rounds is truly amazing. The same can be said for getting back to your room after the MK closes and watching all the lights that are still on while the castle changes colors every few seconds. Also, if you're in your room at 10:00 it's a great way to see Wishes.

You may want to check YouTube to see if anyone has posted video taken from one of the rooms. In the meantime, here is an older still shot. Be sure to ask for a high a floor as possible and a room as close to the MK as possible. Although the rooms closer to the convention center seem to have less noise from the buses.

TLR134

Original Poster
View attachment 50205 Yes, we have been fortunate to have stayed in the CR Theme Park view multpile times. As surfsupdon said above, they probably are the most expensive parking lot view rooms in the world because you see the parking lot well before you see the MK. We wait for the discounts and only book when we can get 25%-35% off rack rate on room only.

Is it worth the extra money? Well, that's a question only you can answer. First of all, what do you mean by extra? If you were going to stay in the CR with a Bay Lake view, then I would say it's worth the extra money just to see what it's like. If you were moving up from a the WL or a moderate resort it would depend on your budget.

There is no other view like it in the resort. We're not rope drop people, so sitting on balcony at say 07:30-8:00 as the park comes to life listening to the ferry whistle and the train whistle while wathcing the ferry move across the lagoon and the monorails start to make their rounds is truly amazing. The same can be said for getting back to your room after the MK closes and watching all the lights that are still on while the castle changes colors every few seconds. Also, if you're in your room at 10:00 it's a great way to see Wishes.

You may want to check YouTube to see if anyone has posted video taken from one of the rooms. In the meantime, here is an older still shot. Be sure to ask for a high a floor as possible and a room as close to the MK as possible. Although the rooms closer to the convention center seem to have less noise from the buses.
Thank you. By extra I meant the garden view rooms or the bay lake view rooms.

orky8

Calling these "parking lot views" is just ridiculous. The view is simply amazing and probably the best anywhere on property. I actually enjoy watching wishes more from a TPV balcony than at the magic kingdom, as I think it is a better overall view. Plus, watching the monorails and the ferries -- the area is just so alive. Great sunset as well and you can get a good view of the electrical water pageant.

Now, the $64,000 question of whether it is "worth it," is entirely subjective. For us, absolutely it was worth every penny as we put the kids to bed at 8 and then hung out and watched wishes from the balcony (and also the castle projection show, which you can see pretty good as well). If you are always in the parks, then I could see why it might not be worth it.

rob0519

Calling these "parking lot views" is just ridiculous. The view is simply amazing and probably the best anywhere on property. I actually enjoy watching wishes more from a TPV balcony than at the magic kingdom, as I think it is a better overall view. Plus, watching the monorails and the ferries -- the area is just so alive. Great sunset as well and you can get a good view of the electrical water pageant.

Now, the $64,000 question of whether it is "worth it," is entirely subjective. For us, absolutely it was worth every penny as we put the kids to bed at 8 and then hung out and watched wishes from the balcony (and also the castle projection show, which you can see pretty good as well). If you are always in the parks, then I could see why it might not be worth it.

Ok. Ok. Sarcasm doesn't really come across well in text, does it? It is the most amazing view on the property. I agree completely, but as the photo I posted shows you can't ignore the fact that you get the parking lot view as well as the bus noises along with the monorail and the ferries. I have no problem with either. It just adds to the character of the resort, just more things in motion to watch. If you look between the trees you can even see the train pulling into the Main Street Station. However, for those that may have had Theme Park View Rooms at the GF or the Plolynsian where you only see the lagoon, the parking lot might be a surprise.

I agree again, that if your family spends 10, 12, 14 hours a day in the parks you may want to reconsider the expense and put that additional money toward a longer or additional stay.

orky8

Ok. Ok. Sarcasm doesn't really come across well in text, does it? It is the most amazing view on the property. I agree completely, but as the photo I posted shows you can't ignore the fact that you get the parking lot view as well as the bus noises along with the monorail and the ferries. I have no problem with either. It just adds to the character of the resort, just more things in motion to watch. If you look between the trees you can even see the train pulling into the Main Street Station. However, for those that may have had Theme Park View Rooms at the GF or the Plolynsian where you only see the lagoon, the parking lot might be a surprise.

I agree again, that if your family spends 10, 12, 14 hours a day in the parks you may want to reconsider the expense and put that additional money toward a longer or additional stay.

Yes, I agree. And, it's hard to tell who is being sarcastic because some people actually think the view is bad because of the parking lot. I think surfsupdon was serious, but hard to tell.

Like you, I think the bus/monorail/ferry noise all just add to the action. And yes, you can see (and hear) the train.

Now, the one really bad thing about booking a TPV, is I can't imagine staying in anything less now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
IMHO, yes. There is noting quite like waking up in the middle of the night and seeing the illuminated castle in your line of site. Your room also becomes a great private viewing area for fireworks.

If you are already throwing down the bank for the tower, drop the extra money on a theme park view at least once.

rob0519

Yes, I agree. And, it's hard to tell who is being sarcastic because some people actually think the view is bad because of the parking lot. I think surfsupdon was serious, but hard to tell.

Like you, I think the bus/monorail/ferry noise all just add to the action. And yes, you can see (and hear) the train.

Now, the one really bad thing about booking a TPV, is I can't imagine staying in anything less now.

Yeah, once you've had that view nothing else compares. Although my wife still wants to try GF park view at least once.

sissa216

Yeah, once you've had that view nothing else compares. Although my wife still wants to try GF park view at least once.

We've had GF MK view as well- it was lovely, in a completely different way. It was more fairytale, distant-castle in the clouds view, versus the in-your-face view from the Contemporary.

horizons82

As it has been said, you have to think about how much you are actually going to be in your room to enjoy the view.

I'll also admit that the parking lot does detract from the MK view a little bit (kind of like the difference between a room that has a view of the beach from several blocks away vs. being right on the beach).

Also, if seeing the fireworks is in question, there are several places to see them from at the Contemporary without having to be in your room (although obviously being in your room would be the most private).

I will be having a first stay at the CR later this year and I actually chose the other side with the Bay Lake view--not for the view outside but for the view inside! There are not a heck of a lot of rooms where you can stand in front of your room and watch the monorail glide through the hotel. I am a huge monorail fan-boy, so this is the view that I want. I don't think any rooms on the theme-park view side would allow for that, so the best rooms for me are the ones on the opposite side! ;)

orky8

I will be having a first stay at the CR later this year and I actually chose the other side with the Bay Lake view--not for the view outside but for the view inside! There are not a heck of a lot of rooms where you can stand in front of your room and watch the monorail glide through the hotel. I am a huge monorail fan-boy, so this is the view that I want. I don't think any rooms on the theme-park view side would allow for that, so the best rooms for me are the ones on the opposite side! ;)

Not necessarily right outside your door (though you could from the lower levels), but certainly from the bridge to the elevator bank. How much time are you going to spend sitting outside your door? The bridge to the elevator bank offers a better view regardless of which side you are on.

horizons82

Well, as a hotel AND a monorail enthusiast, there is nothing more incredible than seeing the monorail run right through the hotel. Anytime I've been inside of the CR just watching the monorail run through is almost surreal and I love it.

So while yes, I could watch the monorail from the bridge, I really do plan on being able to step out of the room every now and then to watch it and I have requested a room as close to the floor with the monorail as possible.

I wouldn't think I'd be able to see it at all on the theme-park view side as there are no rooms on the monorail level and the rooms above the monorail would be above it as the walls go inward.

So for me, with the monorail as a big draw, I don't see the point in paying more for a theme-park view.

surfsupdon

I was dead serious. It's a parking lot view with the MK in the distance. But for some people, that's awesome, and I am glad that they have this option.

I live at the beach, my home gives me views of the Atlantic from my windows. There are no parking lots in between. The view would not be as stellar if I overlooked a parking lot with the beach in the distance.

The view from the Poly was awesome, b/c you could see the Castle during the day and changing color at night. No parking lot, no bus depot, no roof of buildings, no service roads. It was great.

Although I much prefer the Yacht Club Lagoon/Epcot view. :)

Either way, it is great that Disney Resorts allow us to choose what view we would like. If you prefer the Contemp TPV, you get it!! And if you do not, you can stay elsewhere.

If you can afford the stay there, and want to, DO IT! I admitted I had not stayed there, because I prefer Lagoon views away from parking lots.

Best of luck with your decision.

sissa216

I was dead serious. It's a parking lot view with the MK in the distance. But for some people, that's awesome, and I am glad that they have this option.

I live at the beach, my home gives me views of the Atlantic from my windows. There are no parking lots in between. The view would not be as stellar if I overlooked a parking lot with the beach in the distance.

The view from the Poly was awesome, b/c you could see the Castle during the day and changing color at night. No parking lot, no bus depot, no roof of buildings, no service roads. It was great.

Although I much prefer the Yacht Club Lagoon/Epcot view. :)

Either way, it is great that Disney Resorts allow us to choose what view we would like. If you prefer the Contemp TPV, you get it!! And if you do not, you can stay elsewhere.

If you can afford the stay there, and want to, DO IT! I admitted I had not stayed there, because I prefer Lagoon views away from parking lots.

Best of luck with your decision.

I agree with everything you said. I was able to look past the parking lot in awe of our wonderful MK view at CR, but I also love Poly and GF views as well. I stayed YC for the first time last week, in a wonderful corner room that had a balcony overlooking Crescent Lake, and 2 large windows on the other wall overlooking the pool, with Spaceship Earth in the distance. The last night of our stay we stayed at AKL, Savannah View. We've also enjoyed simple courtyard or standard views at the Moderates- they can be surprisingly peaceful and lovely as well.

I love that there is such a variety of wonderful views all over property. Having experienced a huge variety of options, I can still say that Tower MK view at the Contemporary was one of my favorites; I was able to lay in bed and watch the castle all hours of night, and from that vantage point the parking lot didn't exist.

USAF79

I'm such a poly snob when it comes to view. I wish the contemporary would build an underground garage and put a pool a park or something else there because you can't help but be drawn to the giant parking lot under your nose in the theme park view rooms. But you are so so close to the fireworks.

BigTxEars

I have never stayed there but yeah it looks amazing and I could so block out the parking lot form my view it would not even matter to me. I might lie in bed in my skivvies at night and just look out the window, that would be so cool!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom