Trip Report The Worst Week: A December 2013/January 2014 Trip Report! *COMPLETE*

You all know the week I'm talking about.

The week that all the guidebooks and fan sites warn about...the parks are packed, Soarin' hits a 4-hour wait, and there are phase closings left and right. It's the week between Christmas and New Year's - the worst week to go to Disney World.

What kind of idiots would book a trip during this crazy, insane time??

Hi, I'm Shannon. Nice to meet ya.
WnDEdit-387.jpg

See that guy in the picture with me? That's my husband, Will. He's sort of my favorite. :inlove: WDW is my favorite place. :inlove: I like to be in my favorite place with my favorite person. :inlove: :inlove:

But there's a catch. You see, this favorite person of mine is a teacher who coaches tennis. So for all of you that smugly say stuff along the lines of, "why not go during off-peak times," (is there even such a thing anymore?!) well, some of us can't. Seriously, like we wouldn't rather go during some random week in February or whatever??? In our case, it's summer or Christmastime for a longer trip. Those are the only options.*

We did the summer thing in June of 2011. It was hot and crowded, and Will swore we'd never do it again. The heat and humidity were too much. I agreed and set my sites on Christmas 2013 pretty much as soon as we got home from that hot, sticky trip. Yep, this trip had been planned (or at least thought about) for about 2.5 years! I'm ridiculous. :facepalm:

But this is where my crazy OCD planning began to shine. Right at the 11-month mark I had our resort reservation secured - no discounts are ever out for that time of year, but I was able to rent DVC points, which saved a RIDICULOUS chunk of change. We still had our APs and Tables in Wonderland card from earlier in the year, we booked flights on rewards points, and thanks to saving up our points on our Disney Visa we had just about enough rewards dollars to cover our food for the week. So as far as Disney trips go, this one was relatively cheap. And I of course woke up early at our 180-day mark to make reservations (19 ADRs! But would we keep them?! o_O) and grabbed some FP+ reservations at the 60-day mark or whatever. I also pored over the few Christmas-week trip reports on this and other Disney boards from fellow *idiots* like me, which were pretty hard to find...because most threads started with someone asking about traveling during this week didn't have actual USEFUL information, just snide replies along the lines of "cancel and book another week."* :rolleyes: Um, thanks?

ANYWAY...I planned for and thought about this trip more than any other trip we've taken, and that's really saying something. But I'd say it paid off overall. :)

*Yes, I'm a little bitter about it. It just got really old to read how stupid people are for going during this time over and over. I promise the rest of the report won't be like this! Let's be friends? :geek:

Last edited:

LisaBelle

I've been following along with this TR and have really enjoyed it. Like Will, I am a teacher so it was great to see how you handled such a busy time of year. I would love to go at Christmas so I will make note of your tips and hopefully use them on a future trip. I've also read several of your TRs that revolved around Run Disney races. I am not a runner but those reports make me want to try. My sister does run and we are talking about signing up for a race in 2016 to celebrate (?!) my 50th birthday. Thanks for the inspiration !

Ariel484

Original Poster
So I'm thinking...if we split cupcakes - we can have/try MORE cupcakes over the course of 4 days. I think this is a great idea. I'm excited to put it into action. I may or may not have a list of cupcakes to look out for and try...and a repeater list of delicious cupcakes I know are delicious and can't wait to eat again.

(insert cake emoji here.)
Yes...yes...this is a good idea. The CMs at Starring Rolls and the Boardwalk Bakery will know us by name! That seems like a good goal for this trip.
I've been following along with this TR and have really enjoyed it. Like Will, I am a teacher so it was great to see how you handled such a busy time of year. I would love to go at Christmas so I will make note of your tips and hopefully use them on a future trip. I've also read several of your TRs that revolved around Run Disney races. I am not a runner but those reports make me want to try. My sister does run and we are talking about signing up for a race in 2016 to celebrate (?!) my 50th birthday. Thanks for the inspiration !
Thank you! :) You should definitely try a runDisney race, that sounds like a great way to celebrate (?! :D) turning 50. And you don't have to run them either, a fast walk is fine as long as it's within the pacing requirements. Give it a shot! :)

Ariel484

Original Poster
I'm always sad when the trip report I'm reading comes to an end. :(

Glad to know THE Week was survivable and *gasp* you guys had a really nice time. :D
Tear. :cry: I'll just have to go back and write another one for you to read. :D
Thanks for sharing this TR!! Great to read! What about that coffee maker?
Thanks for reading! Haha, what about that coffee maker?! :D

sweetpee_1993

I totally think you should change the title of your report, Shannon! This didn't sound at all like the "worst" week. Sounded great to me!

Oh how I do love the AKL. It's definitely a stand-alone destination in my book. I hope the rest of the world keeps thinking it's too far removed. I like it that way!

The wine tasting sounded so interesting! And V&As??? Shut up! I would go in with the list of no-no's, too. No fishy things. The wine pairings sounded quite interesting. Reminds me so much of Remy.

Y'all are definitely proof positive that even the busiest of weeks can be as awesome as any other. Your killer planning skills prob'ly didn't hurt. LOL!

I know I didn't comment as much as I wanted to but I followed along and enjoyed every moment. Thanks for sharing!

Ariel484

Original Poster
I totally think you should change the title of your report, Shannon! This didn't sound at all like the "worst" week. Sounded great to me!
It really was! Probably the best trip we have had yet. :)
Oh how I do love the AKL. It's definitely a stand-alone destination in my book. I hope the rest of the world keeps thinking it's too far removed. I like it that way!
I totally agree with you on all counts. EVERYONE...AKL is far away, don't stay there! :D :angelic:
The wine tasting sounded so interesting! And V&As??? Shut up! I would go in with the list of no-no's, too. No fishy things. The wine pairings sounded quite interesting. Reminds me so much of Remy.
So much wine on this trip! Woohoo!

At times during our V&A meal I did feel a little weird putting the requests in (all in my head, through no fault of the CMs there) but looking back on it, I'm glad I did it and would do it again. It's just a lot of money to have a meal with choices I know we won't like.

We're hoping to book a dinner at Remy this summer! Fingers crossed for us! :)
Y'all are definitely proof positive that even the busiest of weeks can be as awesome as any other. Your killer planning skills prob'ly didn't hurt. LOL!
I think knowing what to expect helped us a lot. Last night my mom told me that my uncle booked a trip to WDW to take my little cousins...first time for all of them and they'll be there on the 4th of July. I was like :eek:. Eeks!

There were many times throughout our trip where I thanked my lucky stars that I am a member of this board. The info here is invaluable when it comes to going to WDW at such a busy time.
I know I didn't comment as much as I wanted to but I followed along and enjoyed every moment. Thanks for sharing!
And thanks for reading! :) :)
Well the coffee maker seems to be more than very special :) Maybe I wanna find out in October? Where to get it :)
Gotcha! I don't have the business card in front of me but I think this is it: http://www.cona.co.uk/
http://www.espressozone.com/cona-vacuum-coffee-maker

I'm sure they were using premium coffee as well, which is probably mostly explains why it was so delicious. :D

PartOfYourWorld

Will definitely have to look into eating at Sanaa sometime! After seeing it on your report and Tammy's....it sounds and looks yummy!!!!!!

Glad you had such a great week! :)

imagination30

Nice trip report Shannon , always love reading your reports.. - the Victoria and albert pics are awesome.. so many new things .. , but sadly I didn't get to try a butter finger cupcake from starting rolls , bc we got to Hollywood stuidos at 12 and they were already closed! .. shucks .. -- so its on my list for next trip...

GoofyFan1

You all know the week I'm talking about.

The week that all the guidebooks and fan sites warn about...the parks are packed, Soarin' hits a 4-hour wait, and there are phase closings left and right. It's the week between Christmas and New Year's - the worst week to go to Disney World.

What kind of idiots would book a trip during this crazy, insane time??

Hi, I'm Shannon. Nice to meet ya.
WnDEdit-387.jpg

See that guy in the picture with me? That's my husband, Will. He's sort of my favorite. :inlove: WDW is my favorite place. :inlove: I like to be in my favorite place with my favorite person. :inlove: :inlove:

But there's a catch. You see, this favorite person of mine is a teacher who coaches tennis. So for all of you that smugly say stuff along the lines of, "why not go during off-peak times," (is there even such a thing anymore?!) well, some of us can't. Seriously, like we wouldn't rather go during some random week in February or whatever??? In our case, it's summer or Christmastime for a longer trip. Those are the only options.*

We did the summer thing in June of 2011. It was hot and crowded, and Will swore we'd never do it again. The heat and humidity were too much. I agreed and set my sites on Christmas 2013 pretty much as soon as we got home from that hot, sticky trip. Yep, this trip had been planned (or at least thought about) for about 2.5 years! I'm ridiculous. :facepalm:

But this is where my crazy OCD planning began to shine. Right at the 11-month mark I had our resort reservation secured - no discounts are ever out for that time of year, but I was able to rent DVC points, which saved a RIDICULOUS chunk of change. We still had our APs and Tables in Wonderland card from earlier in the year, we booked flights on rewards points, and thanks to saving up our points on our Disney Visa we had just about enough rewards dollars to cover our food for the week. So as far as Disney trips go, this one was relatively cheap. And I of course woke up early at our 180-day mark to make reservations (19 ADRs! But would we keep them?! o_O) and grabbed some FP+ reservations at the 60-day mark or whatever. I also pored over the few Christmas-week trip reports on this and other Disney boards from fellow *idiots* like me, which were pretty hard to find...because most threads started with someone asking about traveling during this week didn't have actual USEFUL information, just snide replies along the lines of "cancel and book another week."* :rolleyes: Um, thanks?

ANYWAY...I planned for and thought about this trip more than any other trip we've taken, and that's really saying something. But I'd say it paid off overall. :)

*Yes, I'm a little bitter about it. It just got really old to read how stupid people are for going during this time over and over. I promise the rest of the report won't be like this! Let's be friends? :geek:
Fellow teacher and coach so my family is right there with you

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I ducked out for a while to go on my own WDW vacation, which happened to include my first visit to V&A's! So I have notes to compare with your meal.

It's actually thanks to you that we made sure to go to V&A on this trip, as you mentioned in an earlier TR that the TiW discount was ending there. I have to say, I totally love your gift-card method of saving up for the meal. It was truly amazing, but the credit-card receipt shock at the end of the meal was substantial, even cushioned by the fact that we'd done the wine pairing (and I agree with you and @PartOfYourWorld , those were generous pours that added up to more than 2.5 glasses). I, too, was a devoted wife when it came to finishing the hubby's wine. :D

I'm so glad you took pictures, and was interested to note that they welcomed your camera. I didn't bring mine because I figured it would be frowned upon.

That harpist had a very broad playlist! I was surprised to pick up Beatles songs, Coldplay, and a 60s rock song that I can't recall right now.

Oh, and we made requests, too, and I consider myself and adventurous eater (and hubs is not). He has a nut allergy, which must be mentioned, also a shellfish allergy. And, like you guys, he doesn't care for mushrooms. Doesn't mind the flavor, just not the texture. I'm the same way with onions. Usually I'll pick onions out of my meal, but figured that would be utterly gauche, so I mentioned it to them. And I don't eat veal, either. They'd called my cell phone and sent me an email while we were in flight on the way down the day before our reservation, so I wound up corresponding with them by email. They replied that mushrooms and onions were used in many of their stocks, would it be okay with us just to strain them out? Of course, that was the perfect solution. I recall being told at Remy that kitchens at that level truly don't mind special requests or dining no-nos, they look at them as a challenge to be met, so no one should ever worry about telling a classy kitchen that they need accommodations made.

Anyway, the bread--oh so good. That first course dinner roll, delish, love your photo, you truly captured its essence. The second bread (the one that came with the truffle butter) was a truffle brioche! So you got a double dose of quasi-mushroom there ;) Our butler took it to the next leve and went next door to Citricos to get a slice of ciabatta bread for Bob. The third bread, the multigrain, is an old family recipe passed down from the chef's grandmother, and I think it was my favorite.

It was interesting to note the differences in the menus due to the dietary requests. For instance:
In the first course, where your menu offered Preserved Artichokes, ours offered Octopus (which I chose, Bob got the pintade; he will eat fish, but he's picky about it).
For the second course, my menu included the choice of a scallop dish (which was heavenly).
I hopped over to the vegetarian menu for the third course and ordered the gnocchi with mushrooms (I love mushrooms!). Up until this point, my hubby has made the same choices as yours. :)
For the fourth course, there's a third dish on his menu, though--veal. He loves veal and doesn't get to eat it often because I don't care for it, so if we go out and it's on the menu, he will always choose it. I got the lamb.
After our entrees, I went with the cheese plate, he took the fruity gelato trio that was offered on his menu (because he doesn't eat chocolate, either! What's wrong with this man?). I was given a port with my cheese, and he got a moscato with his gelato. (ooh, that rhymes!)
The chocolate soufflé was outstanding. The coffee pot was neat-o. Our "butler" mentioned that it was actually invented during the time of Queen Victoria.

While I didn't intend to steamroll your report, there were enough other readers who were interested in V&A's that I thought comparing them was kind of like a public service. :)

Oh, and I nearly choked laughing when I read your comment about the chocolates--"surprisingly disgusting". LOL!!! (I didn't get any chocolates, and now I'm not sorry)

Last edited:

Ariel484

Original Poster
I love the night you spent relaxing in World Showcase! I need to remember to take the time to slow down and enjoy time like that on my next trip.
Definitely one of my favorite things to do in Disney! It was really nice.
Will definitely have to look into eating at Sanaa sometime! After seeing it on your report and Tammy's....it sounds and looks yummy!!!!!!

Glad you had such a great week! :)
It's sooooo good. Seriously, you must try it sometime!
thanks for the sites :) Did you used in inside WDW? If so, where?
Just Victoria and Albert's...not sure if any other places have them!
Nice trip report Shannon , always love reading your reports.. - the Victoria and albert pics are awesome.. so many new things .. , but sadly I didn't get to try a butter finger cupcake from starting rolls , bc we got to Hollywood stuidos at 12 and they were already closed! .. shucks .. -- so its on my list for next trip...
At least it's not a seasonal cupcake so you know it will always be there! :)
Fellow teacher and coach so my family is right there with you
It's kind of tough, right? We feel your pain.
Finally had time to catch back up - I loved all your info on V&A. I don't know if I could I ever eat there, because I am way, way picky, but it all looks so good!!
It was so fantastic! I'm definitely trying to scheme up a way to get back there ASAP!

Ariel484

Original Poster
I ducked out for a while to go on my own WDW vacation, which happened to include my first visit to V&A's! So I have notes to compare with your meal.
Welcome back! How did Bob like cruising?? :)
It's actually thanks to you that we made sure to go to V&A on this trip, as you mentioned in an earlier TR that the TiW discount was ending there. I have to say, I totally love your gift-card method of saving up for the meal. It was truly amazing, but the credit-card receipt shock at the end of the meal was substantial, even cushioned by the fact that we'd done the wine pairing (and I agree with you and @PartOfYourWorld , those were generous pours that added up to more than 2.5 glasses). I, too, was a devoted wife when it came to finishing the hubby's wine. :D
Our husbands are just so lucky, aren't they?? :D We'll definitely do the giftcard method in the future when we return to V&A, I think that, mentally, it helped us a lot.
I'm so glad you took pictures, and was interested to note that they welcomed your camera. I didn't bring mine because I figured it would be frowned upon.
I know what you mean and I was so glad that the maitre'd told us that they welcomed pictures! I'm glad to have a set of photos from the meal.
That harpist had a very broad playlist! I was surprised to pick up Beatles songs, Coldplay, and a 60s rock song that I can't recall right now.
Honestly...I think the wine probably inhibited my abilities when it came to recognizing the songs, especially later on in the meal. o_O
Oh, and we made requests, too, and I consider myself and adventurous eater (and hubs is not). He has a nut allergy, which must be mentioned, also a shellfish allergy. And, like you guys, he doesn't care for mushrooms. Doesn't mind the flavor, just not the texture.
YES BOB. That's how we are, flavor is fine, texture not so much.
I'm the same way with onions. Usually I'll pick onions out of my meal, but figured that would be utterly gauche, so I mentioned it to them. And I don't eat veal, either. They'd called my cell phone and sent me an email while we were in flight on the way down the day before our reservation, so I wound up corresponding with them by email. They replied that mushrooms and onions were used in many of their stocks, would it be okay with us just to strain them out? Of course, that was the perfect solution. I recall being told at Remy that kitchens at that level truly don't mind special requests or dining no-nos, they look at them as a challenge to be met, so no one should ever worry about telling a classy kitchen that they need accommodations made.
That totally makes sense and I'm glad you said that, as we're planning on making reservations at Remy for our cruise this summer (!!)...and we'll most likely be putting in the same requests. It's truly not that I don't trust their abilities, I just really, really don't want those foods.
Anyway, the bread--oh so good. That first course dinner roll, delish, love your photo, you truly captured its essence. The second bread (the one that came with the truffle butter) was a truffle brioche! So you got a double dose of quasi-mushroom there ;) Our butler took it to the next leve and went next door to Citricos to get a slice of ciabatta bread for Bob. The third bread, the multigrain, is an old family recipe passed down from the chef's grandmother, and I think it was my favorite.
I'm so glad you are posting this stuff! So interesting! Maybe I would have retained more information if I could hold my booze a little better. ;)
It was interesting to note the differences in the menus due to the dietary requests. For instance:
In the first course, where your menu offered Preserved Artichokes, ours offered Octopus (which I chose, Bob got the pintade; he will eat fish, but he's picky about it).
For the second course, my menu included the choice of a scallop dish (which was heavenly).
I hopped over to the vegetarian menu for the third course and ordered the gnocchi with mushrooms (I love mushrooms!). Up until this point, my hubby has made the same choices as yours. :)
For the fourth course, there's a third dish on his menu, though--veal. He loves veal and doesn't get to eat it often because I don't care for it, so if we go out and it's on the menu, he will always choose it. I got the lamb.
After our entrees, I went with the cheese plate, he took the fruity gelato trio that was offered on his menu (because he doesn't eat chocolate, either! What's wrong with this man?). I was given a port with my cheese, and he got a moscato with his gelato. (ooh, that rhymes!)
The chocolate soufflé was outstanding. The coffee pot was neat-o. Our "butler" mentioned that it was actually invented during the time of Queen Victoria.
Yikes, octopus! I would have NEVER gone for that one! You are much braver than I am! How was the cheese plate?

I loooooved the souffle. Took me right back to our Palo night on the Dream! :inlove:
While I didn't intend to steamroll your report, there were enough other readers who were interested in V&A's that I thought comparing them was kind of like a public service. :)
No worries! I'm sure the seafood eaters of the group appreciated it since our menu was totally seafood-less. I wonder how our choices would compare to someone that went, say, in June or something?
Oh, and I nearly choked laughing when I read your comment about the chocolates--"surprisingly disgusting". LOL!!! (I didn't get any chocolates, and now I'm not sorry)
They WERE. :( I was so sad! I think I forgot to put this in the report but I ended up heading down to The Mara for Zebra Domes, and they were sooooo much better than the candies from V&A!

plaz10

After our entrees, I went with the cheese plate, he took the fruity gelato trio that was offered on his menu (because he doesn't eat chocolate, either! What's wrong with this man?). I was given a port with my cheese, and he got a moscato with his gelato. (ooh, that rhymes!)​

Mmmmm....moscato and gelato. :hungry:

PartOfYourWorld

Glad you enjoyed V&A's! :) and the wine ;)

Betsyboo

Hi, thanks for reading! :)

I'm not sure what time the drawing classes start (10:30 maybe?) but they run continuously throughout the day, every 30 minutes, until the park closes. You don't have to sign up, you just need to go to the animation building and get in line. The CM may cut the line off if the max number of people are there waiting.

Picking the pearl was super fun, I definitely recommend it!
Just wanted to let you know that I did the pick a pearl and had a blast - Sun Knee Itchy! Hahahaha.

Also, the drawing class was one of my favorite new things we tried. Thanks for the tips!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom