The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - soft opening status

hpyhnt 1000

Orlando Sentinel is reporting that regular guests were admitted for about an hour this morning (6/1):

Regular theme park guests were briefly admitted to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure on Tuesday morning.

The gates opened for them at 9 a.m., and they were told it would close in an hour, but Muggles were still milling about Hogsmeade past 11 a.m.

The new dark ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, operated throughout the morning and had a wait of 15 to 20 minutes.

Universal Orlando has not announced a schedule of soft-opening hours or days. The grand opening is set for June 18.

Check back throughout the day for updates about Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...theme-park-orlando-op20100601,0,2710018.story

shaggyboiler

Me and my faimly are going down to Orlando, next week. We planned this trip back 6 months ago and got a condo all with the idea of spending days in Harry Poter / universal. We found out a couple months ago that it wasn't opening till the 18th. My son was devistated. He is a special needs child on the autistic spectrum. He lives and breaths Harry.

Reading some of this forum it almost appears if you stay at Universal's hotel there could be a chace to get into the soft preview? Is that still the case? I had thought they closed that option down till the 18th as well? I'd do or try almost anything to get in for my son. Anyone have any ideas?

rainfully

I went yesterday! :)

Don't worry this does not contain spoilers of any kind so read if you'd like:

I got there crazy early because we heard they would let in non resort guests... they started letting resort guests in the park at 8:00... we got there a few mintues before that and we were the very first non resort guests there... they opened the park at 9:00 for the rest of us... They actually yelled at us that Potter was open as we walked through the park! As we were entering Hogsmeade, they said that it was just a preview and would close at 10:00. We walked around for a little bit and then got in line for THE main attraction. We walked right on! Then we went to Flight of the Hippogriff and walked right on that, too. We walked the queue for the Dragons to see what had changed but didn't ride since they were only running one train each side and there was a bit of a wait... we figured there were other more important things to do in the short time we had. We milled about the shops... had a butterbeer (MMMM!!!) Honeydukes was totally awesome and I can't wait to try everything they have in there. Apparently they stopped letting people in at 10:00 but they kept everything open for those of us who were already in... so we rode FB again... waited maybe about 10 minutes. I was really enjoying how calm it was in there because we all know what a madhouse it will be when they open it up for good!

Anyways... my huge regret was that I did not bring a camera... I took a couple of pictures on my phone but my battery ran out. :( I can't wait to go back!!

BigThunderMatt

As I eat my traditional English breakfast at the Three Broomsticks and sip my Butterbeer after experiencing Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey twice in less than an hour I can sum up my feelings in two words: Disney's screwed.

SMRT-1

As I eat my traditional English breakfast at the Three Broomsticks and sip my Butterbeer after experiencing Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey twice in less than an hour I can sum up my feelings in two words: Disney's screwed.

are u a resort guest? is it open to public?

rainfully

Yesterday they were letting anyone in.. resort guest or not. From what I understand they are going to continue to do that.

Matpez

Right now the general public is hit or miss, but the last two days have been let in between 9-10am.

However, they are letting ALL resort guests in at 8am... so if you NEED to see it in the next few weeks, staying at their hotel (even for one night) is key. Plus, you get unlimited express access all day too. (to the other non-HP attractions)

shaggyboiler

Right now the general public is hit or miss, but the last two days have been let in between 9-10am.

However, they are letting ALL resort guests in at 8am... so if you NEED to see it in the next few weeks, staying at their hotel (even for one night) is key. Plus, you get unlimited express access all day too. (to the other non-HP attractions)

Think I might be booking a room there now. Even though I have a very nice condo already. Just want to try and get in. :)

pheneix

If Universal ever gets their act together and operates Wizarding World on a logical schedule, you might have an argument. I don't know if anyone would agree, but it would be an argument.

Unfortunately, Potter's technical rehearsals have been performed with the grace and elegance of a Chinese fire drill. I honestly don't have faith in this company to operate Wizarding World to its full potential. They're gonna have to earn it.

The best ride in the world in one of the worst operated theme parks in the world. Go figure.

Matpez

If Universal ever gets their act together and operates Wizarding World on a logical schedule, you might have an argument. I don't know if anyone would agree, but it would be an argument.

Unfortunately, Potter's technical rehearsals have been performed with the grace and elegance of a Chinese fire drill. I honestly don't have faith in this company to operate Wizarding World to its full potential. They're gonna have to earn it.

The best ride in the world in one of the worst operated theme parks in the world. Go figure.

They can't just open the floodgates before they are ready. They are actually handling this quite well for what it's worth. In the days before twitter and the "#potterwatch" none of us would have been the wiser about what schedule they choose to soft open. They will be ready to open it for everyone June 18th and are using their onsite resort guests and a few members of the public every morning to ensure that.

You can't judge the area based on how they choose to have soft openings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom