The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - soft opening status

hack2112

Right. I wonder if they will end up with some kind of reservation system to get a place in the store.

I'm going to be really interested to see how the whole land handles capacity, including of course the ride. I wonder if the reason we have not had any previews yet is because they are still fighting to get more ride vehicles online. Assuming the ride is good, it would be a disaster if the whole land is wrecked by low capacity throughout.
If you remember, back when IOA first opened, Spiderman had horrible capacity issues that were slowly worked through to where it is now. They're probably trying to do the process before they open this time. They don't want another Rockit. (Though Rockit's capacity is getting MUCH better. The magic carpet is almost always on now.)

I think that was really well done in Disaster. Particularly the interaction with the set and the live actor.
I'm a big fan of the change to Disaster from Earthquake, and the smart use of the tech is a main reason why. It's a case like this where screens are really cool. Plus, I love Walken.

P.S. I've heard nothing but great things from someone who was there last night. Including how big the outside of the area was, how cool Olivander's was, how humongous the insides of the shops were, and how someone bought 25 wands to sell on eBay before the opening. I wish she would have done the same for me. Also, queue changes on DC were very well received last night as well. Direct quote from her: "It blows Disney out of the water."

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
P.S. I've heard nothing but great things from someone who was there last night. Including how big the outside of the area was, how cool Olivander's was, how humongous the insides of the shops were, and how someone bought 25 wands to sell on eBay before the opening. I wish she would have done the same for me. Also, queue changes on DC were very well received last night as well. Direct quote from her: "It blows Disney out of the water."

Something I have picked up from years of watching people go to advance previews of attractions. They are so hyped that they got to see something first, and it's usually in very small groups (which seriously helps), that they tend to get carried away with their praise. We'll see soon enough though :)

dandaman

Banners were up yesterday in place of the Choose Thy Fate wall. The projections were faded and reversed, but you could see "Fireball" and "Horntail" rather clearly. Also, the new temp queue placement takes you right past Dervish & Banges, with full "NO PHOTOS" enforcement in place. :lol: Combined with the soft John Williams score now heard playing in the area, it's shaping up to be an incredible thing!

SleepingMonk

Looks amazing.

Universal has really stepped up the game with this one.

Sadly, Disney has been left in the dust.

I know they can answer back....but do they even care enough to try?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks amazing.

Universal has really stepped up the game with this one.

Sadly, Disney has been left in the dust.

I know they can answer back....but do they even care enough to try?

Have you ridden it yet? or are you just basing this on something you have not experienced?

SleepingMonk

We were just there last week and everything I've seen both in person and on the web leads me to that conclusion.

ETA: I know full well that WDW has the ability to answer back but current events and status of the parks make me doubt they have the drive.

hack2112

Some of the stars from the films got to tour WWoHP yesterday - here's a link:
http://www.cfnews13.com/MediaPlayer...0727&cat=Entertainment&title=Wand Chooses You

The current discussion I've read elsewhere seems to indicate that the experience at Ollivander's is more along the lines of a mini-show - 25 people are allowed in at one time, but only one is chosen for the experience of having a wand 'choose' you. And it looks TINY in there.
Yup. That's exactly what it is. It's also a way to sell wands to people.

Gotta love that creative marketing.

AndyMagic

In theory the first review is already in courtesy of Emma Watson in THIS video.

Emma Watson sitting in the enchanted bench: "Unreal. That was UNREAL!" :)

fbp

In theory the first review is already in courtesy of Emma Watson in THIS video.

Emma Watson sitting in the enchanted bench: "Unreal. That was UNREAL!" :)

Cool. Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't taken the time to watch it. So, so far, one extremely positive review. Or - she meant unreal literally in that the ride doesn't actually exist, it's all a promotional farce. :lol:

I've been going to Disney since I was 2 years old. After previewing the new island, I have to say this is the top area in Orlando now. You will simply be blown away by the amount of detail they have put into this thing, it really is "Unreal".

SleepingMonk

...You will simply be blown away by the amount of detail they have put into this thing, it really is "Unreal".

Exactly.

I love WDW, my name and avatar aren't from Universal after all. But I have to be honest and admit that Disney has been left in the dust with this one. It really is a "totally immersive" environment that seems straight out of another world.

Amazing stuff.

Please step up and answer back Disney...we know you can do it!

Pete C

Some of the stars from the films got to tour WWoHP yesterday - here's a link:
http://www.cfnews13.com/MediaPlayer...0727&cat=Entertainment&title=Wand Chooses You

The current discussion I've read elsewhere seems to indicate that the experience at Ollivander's is more along the lines of a mini-show - 25 people are allowed in at one time, but only one is chosen for the experience of having a wand 'choose' you. And it looks TINY in there.

If it were large it would not be truthful to the books. While this is a theme park attraction, where capacity is paramount, ultimately to build anything they had to answer to J. K. Rowling herself before getting approval.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If it were large it would not be truthful to the books. While this is a theme park attraction, where capacity is paramount, ultimately to build anything they had to answer to J. K. Rowling herself before getting approval.

Yeah it is all well and good to say that, but operationally, if you have 1000 guests wanting to get into a heavily promoted experience that has a capacity of 25, you are in serious trouble.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom