The wave?

ELG13

Original Poster
First time going...would drink if anyone had any suggestions?? Or should we opt for a different option? Times and options are pretty limited. We switched from kona cafe bc we already have an ohana reservation but I'm wondering if we should keep the wave, switch to kona or try skippers canteen. Hoping to find someone who's done all three and can offer their opinion!! TIA!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The Wave is pretty awful, it's one of the worst table service restaurants on property. Kona changed their menu a few weeks back and it sadly fell far down on my list as well. I'd personally switch to Skipper's Canteen.

Bender123

The Wave is pretty awful, it's one of the worst table service restaurants on property. Kona changed their menu a few weeks back and it sadly fell far down on my list as well. I'd personally switch to Skipper's Canteen.

While I would agree on Skipper just being the flat out best of the three, Ive never had anything but great meals at the Wave. It is pretty basic locally sourced food in a fairly subdued/unthemed setting, so its a nice break from the insanity outside if you just want a little getaway. Its just a restaurant. The decision to go to Wave vs Skippers is, do you want better food or do you want a break from the crowds and park craziness in a more mature setting?

I haven't been to Kona since the update, so cant speak for it. Used to be a great escape from the crowds.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
While I would agree on Skipper just being the flat out best of the three, Ive never had anything but great meals at the Wave. It is pretty basic locally sourced food in a fairly subdued/unthemed setting, so its a nice break from the insanity outside if you just want a little getaway. Its just a restaurant. The decision to go to Wave vs Skippers is, do you want better food or do you want a break from the crowds and park craziness in a more mature setting?

I haven't been to Kona since the update, so cant speak for it. Used to be a great escape from the crowds.

I think I've only ever had one good experience at The Wave, but since several friends and I have all had multiple bad experiences it's been off of my list for a couple of years now. There are so many other options at WDW that if a couple of restaurants are terrible they can be quickly and easily forgotten about. :D

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I personally think Kona is the most overrated restaurant in all of Walt Disney World. The way it's open in the lobby of the Polynesian makes it feel like an overpriced food court to me. That said, I'm not a big fan of The Wave either. I'd go with Skipper Canteen and get the char siu pork.

belledream

I've tried to consider dining at The Wave every year for the past few years and could never bring myself to do it. Food seems unimaginative and the setting doesn't make up for it in the slightest. Kona and Skipper Canteen on the other hand, have both provided great meals and much better atmospheres. Edge to Skipper Canteen, especially if you are already in MK. But Kona is great for a meal and a relaxing evening as well.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I've tried to consider dining at The Wave every year for the past few years and could never bring myself to do it. Food seems unimaginative and the setting doesn't make up for it in the slightest. Kona and Skipper Canteen on the other hand, have both provided great meals and much better atmospheres. Edge to Skipper Canteen, especially if you are already in MK. But Kona is great for a meal and a relaxing evening as well.
As I said, I'm not a huge fan of The Wave, but I disagree about the setting. I much prefer the setting at The Wave to that of Kona. That tunnel alone is pretty fantastic.

ELG13

Original Poster

Well it's our last night of vacations so we are torn between an early-ish dinner In the park (skipper canteen) or an after 7 ADR near the park. I've been adding and canceling skipper canteen since I've been able to make adrs bc I've never been able to get solid advice on it but I have personally wanted to try it.
I also liked idea of riding the monorail to dinner our last night...kinda lie a good farewell lol (sappy right??) We are staying at ft. Wilderness.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I also liked idea of riding the monorail to dinner our last night...kinda lie a good farewell lol (sappy right??) We are staying at ft. Wilderness.
You could eat at Skipper Canteen then monorail to the Contemporary just for the ride. Then there's a boat right from the Contemporary back to Ft. Wilderness.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I personally think Kona is the most overrated restaurant in all of Walt Disney World. The way it's open in the lobby of the Polynesian makes it feel like an overpriced food court to me. That said, I'm not a big fan of The Wave either. I'd go with Skipper Canteen and get the char siu pork.

The food at Kona used to make up for lack of atmosphere, but that's no longer true.

ELG13

Original Poster
As I said, I'm not a huge fan of The Wave, but I disagree about the setting. I much prefer the setting at The Wave to that of Kona. That tunnel alone is pretty fantastic.
So...embarrassed to say, that tunnel is what sold us lol...we thought the kids would love it

Bender123

Well it's our last night of vacations so we are torn between an early-ish dinner In the park (skipper canteen) or an after 7 ADR near the park. I've been adding and canceling skipper canteen since I've been able to make adrs bc I've never been able to get solid advice on it but I have personally wanted to try it.

Last night means I would strongly lean toward Skippers. Wave is a wonderful escape from the crowds and rush, because its isolated from the parks and outside world. Unless you want to spend your last meal running from Disney magic, then you will get a far more memorable and better meal at Skippers. The Wave, for me, is a day four out of seven place...when you are approaching your park limits of run and fun and crossing into mental breakdown and need an escape. Its got good food, but there is nothing (except the entry way) that is memorable or Disney stimulating.

ELG13

Original Poster
We are huge ohana fans!!! And I'm a sushi fanatic so I was thinking I could get my fix that last night at Kona. What's the update everyone is talking about?? New menu??
I'm not so worried about atmosphere. We have 3 kids and 3 adults and the kids are generally well behaved.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Everyone rants and raves about the Tonga Toast for breakfast and I just don't get it. It's essentially a fried block of sugar served with a melted popsicle. No thanks.

You can get Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks for a lot less and also without the 180 day ADR or having to pay a tip.

ELG13

Original Poster
Last night means I would strongly lean toward Skippers. Wave is a wonderful escape from the crowds and rush, because its isolated from the parks and outside world. Unless you want to spend your last meal running from Disney magic, then you will get a far more memorable and better meal at Skippers. The Wave, for me, is a day four out of seven place...when you are approaching your park limits of run and fun and crossing into mental breakdown and need an escape. Its got good food, but there is nothing (except the entry way) that is memorable or Disney stimulating.

Yea...this is the thought I keep going back to. But then I think, we will be missing those maybe 2 hours to eat, or we could go until 7 and go dine close at like 730/745?? This is my conundrum.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom