The wave?

ELG13

Original Poster
You can get Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks for a lot less and also without the 180 day ADR or having to pay a tip.
It's been a while since we have done the ddp....we still tip while on the plan? I figure at dinner we will have extras like drinks and apps, so I assume tipping is not included. But what about for cinderellas royal table for breakfast? Do we need to tip there?

Bender123

We are huge ohana fans!!! And I'm a sushi fanatic so I was thinking I could get my fix that last night at Kona. What's the update everyone is talking about?? New menu??
I'm not so worried about atmosphere. We have 3 kids and 3 adults and the kids are generally well behaved.

You can just get the Poly Sushi bar on a monorail trip around the lagoon...

The atmosphere isn't really like comparing Skippers against something like San Angel Inn (both very fantastical settings and interesting in their theme and style). Its more like comparing the atmosphere of Adventureland against a local restaurant...Wave and Kona have virtually no theming apart form a mild "modern" or "South Seas" overlay of a bone standard restaurant. An adult might notice the themes and be interested, but the kids will wonder if they are still in Disney World.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The food at Kona used to make up for lack of atmosphere, but that's no longer true.

If you're going there for dinner including anything besides Nigri or Sashimi , maybe you have an argument, but then again I dont go to Pecos Bill and expect Seafood either.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It's been a while since we have done the ddp....we still tip while on the plan? I figure at dinner we will have extras like drinks and apps, so I assume tipping is not included. But what about for cinderellas royal table for breakfast? Do we need to tip there?

Yes, you still have to leave a tip at any table service restaurants even when you using DDP.

If you're going there for dinner including anything besides Nigri or Sashimi , maybe you have an argument, but then again I dont go to Pecos Bill and expect Seafood either.

I'd argue that you don't go to Pecos Bill's at all unless you desire disappointment.

CaptainAmerica

You have to tip on EVERYTHING, not just the drinks and apps. In other words, you tip on the full menu price of everything you ordered. Since you're a party of 6, 18% will be added automatically.

ELG13

Original Poster
I'm thinking I'm gonna go back to skipper canteen. I keep getting pulled that way and just need to stick with it. I figured the wave was probably not the best since it had so many times available :rolleyes: I might convince the hubby to do a round on the monorail when we leave but, who knows, we may be ready to call it a trip!!

Disney4family

I figured the wave was probably not the best since it had so many times available
The availability has nothing to do with the quality of the restaurant. We haven't always been able to get a reservation or if we did, for the time we hoped.
Also - one of the things I love about The Wave is how great they are to work with you even if you don't have a reservation. The staff is professional, friendly and helpful.

Bender123

The availability has nothing to do with the quality of the restaurant. We haven't always been able to get a reservation or if we did, for the time we hoped.
Also - one of the things I love about The Wave is how great they are to work with you even if you don't have a reservation. The staff is professional, friendly and helpful.

Its usually easier to get a reservation at a restaurant like this simply due to the theming...which there isn't any. Its Disney, and lets face it, food quality is generally not the deciding factor on how popular a restaurant is. If that were the case, Sci-Fi would be a walk in every day, Chef Mickey would be easy to get and Narcoosees would be the hardest reservation on property.

WDW doesn't work the same way as the real world...Food is only a small part of the dining package and usually not the locus of the decision as much as the theme/characters/activities. I will continue to love the Wave, and anywhere outside the World, it would be a must go, but a restaurant themed as a modern restaurant just isn't nearly as sexy/magical as other locations on property.

I would have said it was a coin toss between Kona and Skipper's. Then Kona changed their menu! I have now cancelled my Kona reservations for the upcoming trip! Go to Skipper's - great atmosphere, wonderful service and yummy food!

MaryJaneP

We enjoyed the Wave restaurant although it was a few years ago. We still miss the Concourse Steakhouse (where the contempo café currently is) for the environment moreso than the food. However, since you are already going to be in MK, and a look at the Skipper's Canteen menu on line looks good, we would try there as our first choice. We hope to visit that establishment on our next trip to WDW. Good luck.

Last edited:

Demeter Tess

I'm not a huge fan of any of these restaurants. Everything I've eaten at Kona has been bland and I end up wishing I were at 'Ohana. (It doesn't help that you can stare forlornly at 'Ohana as you eat your subpar meal!) My meal at The Wave was actually quite tasty and they have a REALLY cool drink called the Seven Seas Lagoon, but the service was WRETCHED. Skipper's Canteen was a flat-out disappointment as there was little on the menu that I could eat, and what I did order tasted horrible. So TLDR, I am probably not a good person to ask about your dining conundrum!

ELG13

Original Poster
Thanks yall!! I got my husband to sit down with me and go over menus and pics and he threw a curve ball...we are doing quick service for our last meal and we are gonna try Yak and Yeti when we are in AK!!! He's a big Korean bbq guy and I've always wanted to try it. We were originally scheduled for cape may cafe for breakfast that day but I just felt like it wasn't very practical and It is an early magic hours the day we go so I want to get there at 8 and try and get a safari in first thing!!! Or head to Pandora and get on the river cruise.

Thanks yall!! I got my husband to sit down with me and go over menus and pics and he threw a curve ball...we are doing quick service for our last meal and we are gonna try Yak and Yeti when we are in AK!!! He's a big Korean bbq guy and I've always wanted to try it. We were originally scheduled for cape may cafe for breakfast that day but I just felt like it wasn't very practical and It is an early magic hours the day we go so I want to get there at 8 and try and get a safari in first thing!!! Or head to Pandora and get on the river cruise.
The Yeti is one of my favorites!!
Great atmosphere too!!!

ELG13

Original Poster
Oh good to hear!! I haven't done much research with Animal kingdom...probably should since Pandora is huge right now. It looks like an awesome place...I really like the theming too! I was leery of the restaurants there because I had someone tell me the other big restaurants there weren't good (in their opinion) because the food was a little too much for them. I honestly haven't heard much about yak and yeti but after we read overy the menu we wanted to give it a try.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Oh good to hear!! I haven't done much research with Animal kingdom...probably should since Pandora is huge right now. It looks like an awesome place...I really like the theming too! I was leery of the restaurants there because I had someone tell me the other big restaurants there weren't good (in their opinion) because the food was a little too much for them. I honestly haven't heard much about yak and yeti but after we read overy the menu we wanted to give it a try.

Yeti is one of the best restaurants on property, that may have something to do with not being Disney owned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom