Pre-Trip The warmup is over - a September Pre-trip report

The warmup is over - a September Pre-trip report

Some preamble stuff

If you’ve read my last two mini trip reports, you know that we’ve been dipping our feet back into all things WDW (links to the past two mini-trip reports are here if you’re interested:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/surprise-we-went-to-disney-again.984195/)

I guess those were kind of like the pitcher warming up in the bullpen for me…Now it’s time to get into a full trip report….

OK, to be honest, I was kind of the fence about doing a full trip report. I found the last two to be really time consuming, and they were only covering a couple of days each time. However, a few things kind of pushed me to do this one:

• I really did enjoy doing the last couple. I had been off trip reports for a few years (see @Tuvalu , that’s how you do a retirement LOL), and doing the last couple kind of got the trip report juices flowing again
  • It’s been great interacting with everyone on these boards again. Some have been around from when I first started doing these back in 2010, and some are new to me, but it’s been fun interacting with all of you
  • I had mentioned to Stephanie (@S&CVDZ - our daughter (more on her in a minute)) that I wasn’t sure I wanted to do another trip report, and she was like “Dad, just do it”.

Trip details

As I mentioned in my mini-reports, we were working on a big family trip with Steph and her husband Calvin, and Liam (our son) with his girlfriend. However…life happens. Unfortunately, Liam’s schedule didn’t allow for him to make this trip with us. We’ll plan something with him in the future, but we’re going to miss doing a full trip with one of our normal crew missing.

So who is going:

There’ s Tammy and I (Graham)

dock.jpg

And our daughter Stephanie and her husband Calvin.

sc.jpg

When

September 20-28th

Where are we staying:

We have a 1 bedroom villa at Animal Kingdom Lodge – Kidani Village (We’re DVC owners). Tammy and I love AKL. Steph likes it, but thinks it's too far away from everything, and the bus system is kind of slow. However, we do have a rental car, so transportation won’t be an issue. Calvin knows nothing about any of this as it’s only his second trip and has only experienced Saratoga Springs (we own there, and booked Steph and Calvin there for their honeymoon last year).

Travel information

We’re doing something new this year. If you read my last mini trip report, you know that we started our trip in Tampa as I was on a course for the first half of the week of that trip. Tampa plays into this trip. No, I don’t have a sudden affinity to the Tampa area. However, when I was booking flights, I started by looking at flights into Orlando, but the price was more than I anticipated. Then I remembered that Tampa isn’t that much more of a drive to Disney than from Orlando airport (Orlando airport is around 25-30 minutes to Disney property, and Tampa is about 55-60 minutes), so I checked out flights there instead. It turns out, the flights to Tampa were quite a bit cheaper than flights to Orlando (I’d say about $300 ish cheaper for the four of us), and the car rental was about $150 cheaper at Tampa than at Orlando. So, for an extra 30ish minute drive, I was able to save around $450.

To summarize, we’re flying on Southwest out of Buffalo to Tampa, and then picking up our rental car and driving to Disney (with a stop at a grocery store or Sam’s Club on the way to pick up some coffee, snacks and breakfast stuff for the room).

Any concrete plans yet?

Glad you asked. A few things:

• Due to the not-so-favorable exchange rate between Canada and the US, Disney was offering a Canadian ticket discount as long as you booked at least a 4 day base ticket. The discount was quite substantial (25%), so we jumped on that and booked a 5 day with park hopper and waterparks/sports options.
  • What about food. Well don’t worry “’Cause there’s a ton of it” (throwback to Stacy – does anyone else miss the old Must-Do Disney?). So we had to factor in that Calvin is quite a big eater (he’s also a big guy at 6’5), so we had to try and pick places that had lots of food (so you’ll see a lot of buffets on this list). Here’s what we’ve booked so far:
    • Biergarten – Calvin is really excited about this one. We've been here once before. It was "meh" for us, but we figured we'd give it another shot.
    • Chef Mickey – It was either this or ‘Ohana. Steph and Calvin did ‘Ohaha on their honeymoon, and Calvin has never experienced character dining before, so we booked this. We will try to go up to the Top of the World Lounge after eating here to watch the fireworks
    • Liberty Tree – We all love this one
    • Beaches and Cream – We want Calvin to experience the Kitchen Sink
    • Date night – Steph and Calvin are going to go to Planet Hollywood (they went there on the first night of their honeymoon so they want to go back for nostalgia reasons). I’m not sure where Tammy and I will go. We talked about Chef Art Smith’s , but we’re also not really picky so we’ve even talked about Earl of Sandwich or Blaze Pizza. We’ll figure it out.
    • Whispering Canyon – we’ll close out the trip here. We’ll make sure to ask for ketchup.
    • We’ll probably venture off property for a meal or two as well

Other things being discussed

The big thing we’re still talking about is whether we do a Mickey’s Not So Scary Hallowe’en Party. My thought is that we could do one on the first Sunday there, which would supply our room with candy and chocolate for the week. Tammy and I did do one last year, but we focused on rides and candy. If we go this time we could slow down and enjoy the fireworks and parade rather than trying to cram in as many rides as possible.

The other thing we may do is an after hours thing, but none of those have been announced yet (we’d either do the MNSSHP or an after-hours thing)

We’ll need to decide that one soon.

Final thoughts.

So I’ve noticed a lot of comments on the boards about low crowd levels right now, so I’m hoping thing will be quiet when we’re there. The one thing I did notice is how much dining availability was still available even today. Back when we first started going to Disney, you had to book your dining 180 days in advance, and you pretty much had to be up the second the reservations opened or you could forget about getting some of the more popular restaurants. I’ll use ‘Ohana as an example. If you didn’t get on at the 180 day mark, you could forget getting ‘Ohana. I was just on the app today (Aug 5 – about 45 days from our trip), and there are still ‘Ohana slots available.

We are really looking forward to this trip. Calvin may be in for a bit of a shock as I don’t think he’s ever rope-dropped before, and I’m a rope-drop guy. It should be a fun time. Thanks for following along

Last edited:

erstwo

Yes! Excited to hear about crowd levels too. I don’t think I’m going back in hot weather again (except if it’s the best use for the family or a friend to travel) but I would love to see some low crowd levels again.
It was nice to have certain times the year you could rely on low crowds. Especially for those who only take one trip a lifetime. Or for those who prioritize rides, etc.
Looking forward to more!

gwhb75

Original Poster
Woohooo!!! I think it's definitely a consensus that we love reading your reports, so I'm thrilled you (and Steph) decided to do this! I'm considering a later September trip myself, so maybe we will cross paths!
If you see us please come say hi.

gwhb75

Original Poster
AUG 17 Update

Man, why do I even bother trying to finalize plans so early.... so a few things have changed

1) Flights - Remember that idea of flying into Tampa because it was cheaper....CHANGED. Found cheaper flights on Southwest into Orlando now. Southwest doesn't charge to make changes (bonus), and we end up with a credit of around $90 on our account. The real reason for the change is that the flight to Orlando is direct, as opposed to the flight to Tampa that included a stop in Baltimore. Tammy already doesn't love flying, but really hates the takeoff and landing parts, so a direct flight is the best option whenever possible.

2)Date - Well, sort of different. Think more like "we added a day". That cheaper flight to Orlando was in the evening of the 19th (6:45pm) , as opposed to first thing in the morning on the 20th like we had originally booked. There was quite a bit of logistical work to figure out:
  • First we had to figure out work schedules. Tammy works until 3 on the 19th, and we're about 1.5 hours away from the airport. Hopefully she can get out of work a bit early. Steph changed her work schedule so she's now off on the 19th, and Calvin was already off. I'll probably book the afternoon off on that day.
  • Next we had to make sure there was room available at Disney that night. I wasn't optimistic, and was willing to do one night in a different resort if we had to. But then a miracle happened...when I looked at the DVC website, there was a 1 bedroom standard view room at Kidani available (which is the room we had originally booked). I quickly called member services, and they were able to add the extra day, so we don't have to do any moving around
  • I had to cancel our original rental car booking at Tampa, and book a new one at Orlando - it is about $120 more than Tampa, but we are getting an extra day. I'll keep checking the prices as we get closer as they tend to drop closer to the time (I book my rentals through the Costco Travel website)
It looks like we are going to do the Not-So-Scary on September 22nd so I'll book that this upcoming week.

I'm seriously thinking of doing travel planning as a side hustle (I'm being serious. I don't know why, but I really like doing this kind of stuff. Probably because it's a change from the day to day finance stuff I do).

I'll keep you posted if anything else changes.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Aug 18

Booked MNSSHP for Sept 22.

We almost had a major issue with our pet border. Don't know if I mentioned we have 3 rescues (our cat Lylla - she's about 1 year old, our dogs Cooper (he's around 8 - we think he's a Corgi Lab mix) and Sasha (she's our foster fail - she's from Korea, and we were only supposed to be fostering her for a few weeks, but ended up adopting her - she's 4). Anyways...we had always planned on dropping the dogs off in the morning of the 19th, but we sent a message to our border to just confirm we're still good (she runs the rescue that we ended up adopting Sasha from). She said something had come up and that she was going to be in Vancouver until around midnight on the 19th, but we could drop the dogs off after 3pm (which wasn't going to work for us since she's about 30 minutes from our house so we wouldn't be able to leave our place until after 4 - and we have to be in Buffalo by about 5 at the latest). However, things worked out and we are able to drop them off before 10am with her family. Mini-crisis averted.

Last edited:

mpaulam

In the Parks
No
Aug 18

Booked MNSSHP for Sept 22.

We almost had a major issue with our pet border. Don't know if I mentioned we have 3 rescues (our cat Lylla - she's about 1 year old, our dogs Cooper (he's around 8 - we think he's a Corgi Lab mix) and Sasha (she's our foster fail - she's from Korea, and we were only supposed to be fostering her for a few weeks, but ended up adopting her - she's 4). Anyways...we had always planned on dropping the dogs off in the morning of the 19th, but we sent a message to our border to just confirm we're still good (she's runs the rescue that we ended up adopting Sasha from). She said something had come up and that she was going to be in Vancouver until around midnight on the 19th, but we could drop the dogs off after 3pm (which wasn't going to work for us since she's about 30 minutes from our house so we wouldn't be able to leave our place until after 4 - and we have to be in Buffalo by about 5 at the latest). However, things worked out and we are able to drop them off before 10am with her family. Mini-crisis averted.
Phew!! Glad you could work it out!!

erstwo

I am far from a rental car deal expert (usually I only book for business and my company is paying so I pay less attention) but I’m surprised it’s that much more for an extra day. I bet you’ll come across a better rate
My husband reserved a car from MCO for Labor Day weekend a few days ago (he’s driving towards the coast to see his dad& back again) and he said it was less than $130 for 3 days! I think it was Hertz.

gwhb75

Original Poster
I am far from a rental car deal expert (usually I only book for business and my company is paying so I pay less attention) but I’m surprised it’s that much more for an extra day. I bet you’ll come across a better rate
My husband reserved a car from MCO for Labor Day weekend a few days ago (he’s driving towards the coast to see his dad& back again) and he said it was less than $130 for 3 days! I think it was Hertz.
It's a combo of an extra day and renting from Orlando airport instead of Tampa. Orlando is known to be more expensive because of the higher demand.

However...I did find a cheaper car through Thrifty that knocked the price down by about $100 (through Sam's Club). I'll keep checking as we get closer to the trip to try and get the price even lower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom