News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
State College has (or had) a Rathskellar? There was one in Chapel Hill (which is, sadly, now gone) that had the best lasagna I've ever eaten. And basically every surface inside was covered in names and dates carved into the wood from former students going back 50+ years.
It opened 4 days after the XXi Amendnent (repeal of prohibition) and was the longest continually operating bar in Pennsylvania until 2018

Probably some gaudy new development for. Those brats 🤪

Did a lot to put a couple of local beers on the map - yuengling and rolling rock

East vs west…depending on which witch you show allegiance to 🧙‍♀️

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Latest update from Bloomberg on the Board of Director's search for a successor to Bob Iger.

Walt Disney Co.’s board is focusing on four divisional heads as part of a formal search for an eventual successor to Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger, people with knowledge of the matter said.

The four are TV chief Dana Walden, ESPN’s Jimmy Pitaro, theme-parks boss Josh D’Amaro and Alan Bergman, who heads the film business, according to the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private conversations.

As part of the process, Disney may appoint a No. 2 executive — a chief operating officer or president — to serve for a time before Iger steps down, according to the people. His contract runs through the end of 2026, and no decision on a successor is expected this year, the people said.

Iger is spending time with all of the internal candidates to help them understand how he approaches the job and give them exposure to business units they’re not familiar with, according to the people.

All of this is happening under the glare of dissident shareholders who are seeking seeking board seats at Disney’s April 3 annual meeting. Trian Fund Management’s Nelson Peltz, in particular, has been critical of the company’s succession planning, saying he and Jay Rasulo, Disney’s former chief financial officer, should join the board to invigorate the search.

Disney has outlined some of its succession planning in regulatory filings. A board committee formed last year met six times in fiscal 2023, working with a search firm, reviewing internal and external candidates, and conducting interviews.
Chairman Mark Parker, who oversaw a successful transition as CEO of Nike Inc., is leading the effort, along with three other board members: Morgan Stanley Chairman James Gorman, General Motors Co. CEO Mary Barra and Lululemon Athletica Inc. CEO Calvin McDonald.

The world’s largest entertainment company has struggled with succession in the past. Iger passed the baton to parks chief Bob Chapek in February 2020, only to return in November 2022 amid streaming TV losses and a public feud between the company and Florida politicians.

In 2015, the company named then-parks head Tom Staggs as chief operating officer, positioning him as possible successor to Iger. But Staggs stepped down a year later, and Iger extended his tenure for another four years.

Walden is seen as a brilliant creative executive with strong talent relationships, but she is still learning the streaming business and has little experience in parks. D’Amaro has plenty of savvy with parks and almost no background in film and TV. Pitaro is leading the charge into streaming for ESPN, the largest sports media company in the world, but has a smaller portfolio than most of his peers. Bergman has spent much of his career at the film studio, with his earlier years in financial roles.

Should Disney go outside the company for its new leader, it would be the first time since Michael Eisner got the job in 1984. Both Chapek and Iger were appointed from within.

Jrb1979

NotCalledBob

Latest update from Bloomberg on the Board of Director's search for a successor to Bob Iger.

If they've narrowed it down to a divisional head, they must have a clear favorite by now internally. It's not like Iger and the board don't know them well enough.

I'd say Walden is by far the most likely option.

Pitaro by far the least likely option.

And D'Amaro and Bergman somewhere in between.

el_super

Even understanding that there are differences between Chapek and D'Amaro, I have a hard time believing that investors would respond positively to having a parks head come in and helm the entire company again.

Also at this point, with a generally favorable opinion on how the parks are running under D'Amaro, there may be desire to keep him where he is and not upset the apple cart.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think the best option is to launch a new Disney+ show where they compete in various tasks and the audience can vote them off.

Dancing with Disney's Idol Got Talent. Top masked CEO edition.
"Jimmy, you did well in the talent show as you put your resumé to the tune of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

You have great skill in the world of sports entertainment, but you know nothing of parks or the Hollywood game.

<loud dramatic orchestra lick with spotlights darting about>​

I'm sorry to say: You are the weakest link. Take your resumé and go."

SamusAranX

"Jimmy, you did well in the talent show as you put your resumé to the tune of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

You have great skill in the world of sports entertainment, but you know nothing of parks or the Hollywood game.

<loud dramatic orchestra lick with spotlights darting about>​

I'm sorry to say: You are the weakest link. Take your resumé and go."
I would start my Disney + subscription back up for this

MR.Dis

If they've narrowed it down to a divisional head, they must have a clear favorite by now internally. It's not like Iger and the board don't know them well enough.

I'd say Walden is by far the most likely option.

Pitaro by far the least likely option.

And D'Amaro and Bergman somewhere in between.
Poor Walden, it is the kiss of death to be the favorite. How long before Iger oh so gently starts to undercut and stick his very sharp long knives in her back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom