News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

_caleb

the best business move would have been for Disney to keep out of streaming and have the streaming companies fighting to partner with Disney.

How much would Netflix, Amazon, or Apple Pay to have a rotating Disney vault?
This wouldn’t be the winning strategy you’re making it out to be, because the platforms aren’t content JUST to be middlemen, selling other people’s product for a percentage of the sales.

Examples:
  • Amazon watches what’s selling well (and the data pointing to what’s about to sell well) and undercuts it with knockoffs (see Amazon’s brands, like Amazon Essentials, Amazon Basics, Goodthreads, etc.).
  • Netflix’s algorithm lets them know what people are searching for, and they use that to inform their creation (or purchase of) cheap/bad knockoffs of many Disney/Pixar classics. There’s no incentive to keep Disney films isolated. “You watched Pixar’s Cars, up next: A Car's Life: Sparky's Big Adventure.”
  • Target has extremely successful in-house brands that basically use all the products on the Target shelves as free market testing. They rip off whatever is selling well (or just buy the companies that make successful products).
  • 7-Eleven has developed its own in-house brand, 7 Select that’s brought in billions by competing with its bestselling products by selling copycats at a slight discount.
  • Dick’s Sporting Goods launched its in-house brand, DSG that just copies popular lines from UnderArmour, Nike, Addidas, Columbia, the North Face, etc.
Why, you might ask, don’t those brands just pull out these controlling retail outlets? Because that’s where their customers are. They can’t afford not to sell through these platforms!

Disney/Marvel content on Netflix was heading down this same road when they decided being a major player in streaming was their best chance for survival.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s going to be difficult moving away from Linear TV.

It's already happening. We're at the point where just about more people are getting their home content from streaming than linear TV. This has been a 4 year trend so far.

Hulu + LiveTV with Disney+ and ESPn+ is pretty expensive in itself

Cheaper than Netflix and more people are paying for Netflix

If you mean subbing to multiple streamers to make up for not being part of cable's bundle, it will indeed be about the same cost (not more). Additionally, outside of live events, you get to stream the content you want when you want it. One is no longer a slave to the TV Guide.

and there isn’t a huge amount of people signed up to that so they’re going to have to think of something
Disney's three streamers together is almost as much as Netflix's number of subs.

Indy_UK

I was referring to Hulu Live mainly which with the other Disney services is like $75 a month isn't it?

You're not going to be able to bring linear TV channels over and have people pay that kind of money each month.

BrianLo

I don't think either is going to be viable business for any company. We already seeing companies merge forming one streaming service. IMO it's just the beginning. In a few years there will only be 4-5 streaming services. You will Amazon, Netflix, Apple and whatever happens with the rest of them.

Making profit is one thing but I can't see any of them being ok that. They want to replace the profit from linear tv and the only way to do that is raise prices. It's eventually going to cost the same as cable.

It’s already viable for Netflix. Which has a bigger market cap than Disney or Comcast right now… and all it really does is streaming.

I do agree there will be a bloodbath and it’s occurring. Netflix will be there, Amazon Prime will be there (though as a supportive buisness). Apple theoretically if it continues to see value in its service as retaining hardware consumers.

Disney will be there, the measure of that success was passed in 2020, it will gobble up Hulu though in a more official US capacity.

Something else will be there, but it’s hard to say what sort of chimera that service is. I want to say I think WB-Max will make it too, but I think that service will also do some unclear gobbling or be gobbled.

I want to say CrunchyRoll as a brand will make it, but I could easily see that turning into a ‘panel’ on D+, Netflix, Prime, etc.

BrianLo

How much would Netflix, Amazon, or Apple Pay to have a rotating Disney vault?

A similar amount that D+ licenses content from the studios. It’s all a bit moot, as they work towards profitability of the service they are ahead than in a purely licensed world.

Not only are they ahead, they have the upside of owning all the added content they produce for the service outright and having full creative reigns and control over their studios output.

Structurally I think people are not really grasping that the service is generating 9 billion in revenue for the company already today. Very little of that is paying for the service or marketing, a vast majority licenses or buys studio output and content. Licensing would not be that generous and the company would have absolutely zero upside.

It would have put Disney in a position of being acquired in totality. Maybe even by one of the tech giants or Netflix.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I was referring to Hulu Live mainly which with the other Disney services is like $75 a month isn't it?

You're not going to be able to bring linear TV channels over and have people pay that kind of money each month.
Ah, yes, by emulating the live linear/cable bundle, Hulu Live costs as much as a cable subscription. Same with YouTube live TV and other 'live TV' streamers.

The advantage, for now, of the 'live TV' streamers is the ability to record shows to watch on demand (even if it's only in a two week window). With linear TV, if you miss an episode because of a schedule conflict, you're out of luck.

However, since linear TV will be disappearing (or become a small niche), the 'live TV' streaming model falls apart and won't even be available since it won't be profitable.

All the studios and content creators making shows for linear TV will, in the end, wind up making them for the streamers. The future is not the cost of a 'live TV' provider, but the cost of which on-demand streamers one wants to be subscribed to. And three to four of them together will cost as much as the old linear/cable bundle.

JD80

I just cancelled YoutubeTV after years of having it. Too expensive.

Only thing I'll miss is sporting events and live news. I might resub for NFL TV for the draft.

Also, I have the annual sub for D+ and I can't upgrade it to a package until it runs out again in November. Wish D+ would let me upgrade mid-sub.

pigglewiggle

Only thing I'll miss is sporting events and live news. I might resub for NFL TV for the draft.

Also, I have the annual sub for D+ and I can't upgrade it to a package until it runs out again in November. Wish D+ would let me upgrade mid-sub.

We've had YouTube TV for a few years. The price certainly does keep going up, but not ready to cancel it yet. I still enjoy watching "live" tv. We have the Hulu/Disney + package and we really enjoy Hulu. Shogun is pretty fun right now.
I'm probably cancelling Netflix. The movies are just horrible. Not even fun horrible.
HBO we have for free through ATT.
Prime I keep for shipping. We did not upgrade to their new price for commercial free. The commercials are fine.
We have Paramount +, but sporadically.

Yes, our combined bill is now close to what we were paying for cable. But that's our fault because we keep adding channels.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

You can upgrade mid-sub if you go for the trio (D+, Hulu, ESPN) by going through Hulu's subscription pages.

But, yeah, it seems you're out of luck if you just want D+ and ESPN bundled.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm a bit younger than that, born in 83. But when I was going to school there the Skellar was still a thing. Shame it closed a few years back.
Oh…you’re such a child

A cub on the side of the Mount 🤪

I haven’t been there in years…but the skellar had it coming

First you were Never getting that smell out

And the 4 ft Ceilings had to violate every fire code this side of munchkinland

PSUDisney77

Oh…you’re such a child

A cub on the side of the Mount 🤪

I haven’t been there in years…but the skellar had it coming

First you were Never getting that smell out

And the 4 ft Ceilings had to violate every fire code this side of munchkinland
I didn't say it was a palace. Just one of the dive bars that reminded me of my college days. There are a few that have come and gone but the Skellar had been there for over 80 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
lol…based on that pitiful quarterly?

Goes to show you that it doesn’t matter what else you do as long as you deliver some sweet buybacks

People deserve what they’re dumb enough to fall for

UNCgolf

State College has (or had) a Rathskellar? There was one in Chapel Hill (which is, sadly, now gone) that had the best lasagna I've ever eaten. And basically every surface inside was covered in names and dates carved into the wood from former students going back 50+ years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom