News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Jimmy Pitaro was my dark horse candidate after listening to a niche podcast sports media podcast interview (if wanting to hear, look up the Sports Media Podcast with Richard Deitsch, I believe the interview was last summer) but I'm still surprised to see his name. I liked his leadership style and think he's done well continuing to pivot ESPN getting into sports betting and eventually standalone services away from cable. He at least has experience in other Disney divisions, unlike the other three. He's navigated niche media politics needing to work with multiple billion dollar leagues and conferences. Walden, Bergman, and D'Amaro also have pretty niche experiences as well.

I'm currently ranking as Walden, Pitaro, Bergman, D'Amaro. Recency bias may hurt Bergman as films have really struggled and that side seems pretty stuck and in need of new blood. Bergman in running and not being selected may push a separation that side may need. D'Amaro hasn't ripened yet. I think Walden has done well but I'm curious what joining a Biden export committee will do for her candidacy. It's a position with many other CEOs and seems like something of a test for her. CEOs of FedEx, 3M, Citi, CVS, Walgreens Boots, Qualcomm, and then other c-suite folks from Ford, United Airlines, and Comcast. And they didn't put D'Amaro or Bergman on it, they put Walden.

BrianLo

I agree, I think it’s very likely Walden.

Twice they’ve tried and failed to raise an exec out of P&R. The media and studio side of the business is arguably what Chapek screwed up more and seems harder to acquire that skill set on the job.

Walt and Eisner picked up parks just fine coming more from the Studio lens.

D’amaro is also too green in the executive hierarchy, but I think passing him by doesn’t need to be seen as an indictment. If anything, if the environment and the incoming CEO is collaborative enough, they’ll give him far more of a leash and independence.

I’d really like the parks exec to actually remain on the job and not remain a merry go round. I also like that we have an exec who doesn’t have active contempt for its product or its guests. That seems like a very low bar, but it’s a rarity.

Tha Realest

I also like that we have an exec who doesn’t have active contempt for its product or its guests. That seems like a very low bar, but it’s a rarity.
since May 2020, the Parks division:
-fired 28,000 CMs
-Got rid of DME
-Instituted G+ and ILL, doing away with free Fastpass
-Instituted reservation system
-Instituted park-hopping restrictions
-substantially increased ticket prices
-substantially increased APs (when they’be chosen to sell them)
-substantially increased hotel rack rates
-built or started construction on very uninspiring hotels and DVCs

John park hopper

-fired 28,000 CMs
-Got rid of DME

Very impressive list
Might add
substantially increased park snack prices
substantially increased restaurant prices while reducing portion size

Lilofan

I agree, I think it’s very likely Walden.

Twice they’ve tried and failed to raise an exec out of P&R. The media and studio side of the business is arguably what Chapek screwed up more and seems harder to acquire that skill set on the job.

Walt and Eisner picked up parks just fine coming more from the Studio lens.

D’amaro is also too green in the executive hierarchy, but I think passing him by doesn’t need to be seen as an indictment. If anything, if the environment and the incoming CEO is collaborative enough, they’ll give him far more of a leash and independence.

I’d really like the parks exec to actually remain on the job and not remain a merry go round. I also like that we have an exec who doesn’t have active contempt for its product or its guests. That seems like a very low bar, but it’s a rarity.
D'Amaro felt compelled to meet with existing CMs who were distraught during the massive layoff/ furlough during covid. He has a heart but as a CEO that makes these decisions and more, he's not cut out to be one.

LSLS

Oh. Did Iger do that to Chapek?

I thought Iger actually left Chapek in charge.
Alright, you have to be throwing out bait so I want to know about it. It's not that he saw the Covid crisis coming, ran because of it, and put in charge the only person who was there (and not one he felt threatened by or thought would be great)?

mikejs78

Premium Member
If they've narrowed it down to a divisional head, they must have a clear favorite by now internally. It's not like Iger and the board don't know them well enough.

I'd say Walden is by far the most likely option.

Pitaro by far the least likely option.

And D'Amaro and Bergman somewhere in between.

I'm currently ranking as Walden, Pitaro, Bergman, D'Amaro

I don't see Pitaro as a serious choice. Nor Bergman. I think it's a runoff between Walden and D'Amaro, with Walden being the favorite. She has a good track record with content, and has had good success at both Fox and ABC. She's a creative with business acumen, which may be just what Disney needs. Downside is she is fairly new - only being a part of Disney since the Fox acquisition.

D'Amaro's advantage is that he genuinely loves the company and would have some appreciation for the Disney legacy, more than the other candidates. But I think the fact that he came up in parks and lacks studio experience may work against him in this moment in time. I hope he stays regardless of the outcome as I do think he really does love the parks, unlike his immediate predecessors, and although we may disagree with some decisions or direction, I would rather have someone running parks who really appreciates them than another pencil pusher.

I'd rank them Walden, D'Amaro, Bergman, Pitaro.

I don't think it would happen that soon, but I also wouldn't be shocked if there was some kind of announcement before the proxy vote.

Last edited:

SamusAranX

Alright, you have to be throwing out bait so I want to know about it. It's not that he saw the Covid crisis coming, ran because of it, and put in charge the only person who was there (and not one he felt threatened by or thought would be great)?
Definitely bait.

Chapek was used by Iger. Although I’m sure the millions of dollars helped ease the blow

Tha Realest

It’s Walden. It’s always been Walden (of the “internal” candidates). She plays the game better than any of them.

It does say something interesting about the company that, if this comes about, Disney once again eschews options that have a lengthier tenure with the company in favor of someone who came on board due to a recent merger/acquisition.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It’s Walden. It’s always been Walden (of the “internal” candidates). She plays the game better than any of them.

It does say something interesting about the company that, if this comes about, Disney once again eschews options that have a lengthier tenure with the company in favor of someone who came on board due to a recent merger/acquisition.
I mean Eisner was a complete outsider.

Surferboy567

I can’t say I’m that familiar with Walden or what she has done. So not really sure if she is a good choice or not. I think D’Amaro seriously cares about the Disney brand he seems like a “good guy” despite his lackluster returns in terms of investment as the head of parks. In their heads they don’t want to repeat Chapek, he’s wildly more likable than him though just in personality alone. I can see that the fear of Chapek as a reason why they wouldn’t give it to D’Amaro.

pdude81

To me, D'Amaro went from dark horse to "heir apparent" when Iger was extended. He's been with the company the longest of any on the vetting list, and runs the division of the company that makes the most money. Plus there were rumblings here and there about his disagreements with Chapek on messaging and on new development. The parks superfans accept him as one of their own and occasionally wear shirts with his face on them.

Walden as CEO would not surprise me in the least, but I could see the company not wanting to upset the apple cart for TV/streaming content in the same way it might not want to screw up Parks/experiences.

Ultimately the company wants to keep both of these people, as either one leaving after not being made CEO could result in disappointment from fans. So I could also see a situation with Walden as Chief Creative Officer and D'Amaro as Chief Operating Officer, with both reporting directly to the board. My hope is that does not include Bob the first as Executive Chairman.

LSLS

To me, D'Amaro went from dark horse to "heir apparent" when Iger was extended. He's been with the company the longest of any on the vetting list, and runs the division of the company that makes the most money. Plus there were rumblings here and there about his disagreements with Chapek on messaging and on new development. The parks superfans accept him as one of their own and occasionally wear shirts with his face on them.

Walden as CEO would not surprise me in the least, but I could see the company not wanting to upset the apple cart for TV/streaming content in the same way it might not want to screw up Parks/experiences.

Ultimately the company wants to keep both of these people, as either one leaving after not being made CEO could result in disappointment from fans. So I could also see a situation with Walden as Chief Creative Officer and D'Amaro as Chief Operating Officer, with both reporting directly to the board. My hope is that does not include Bob the first as Executive Chairman.
Or, counter, Bob extends HIMSELF and fires them both.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The claim is that Iger *always* undermines CEO candidates to that he can *always* be CEO.

Iger *didn't* undermine Chapek such that Chapek felt the need to leave. And Iger *did* leave.

LSLS

The claim is that Iger *always* undermines CEO candidates to that he can *always* be CEO.

Iger *didn't* undermine Chapek such that Chapek felt the need to leave. And Iger *did* leave.
Was Chapek ever considered a threat to become CEO? As far as I have seen (trying to look at old articles), his name was never mentioned as a serious potential replacement. Then Iger saw chaos coming, needed to split, and Chapek was the only one left who he felt he could stay over.

DisneyNittany

-fired 28,000 CMs
-Got rid of DME

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Was Chapek ever considered a threat to become CEO? As far as I have seen (trying to look at old articles), his name was never mentioned as a serious potential replacement. Then Iger saw chaos coming, needed to split, and Chapek was the only one left who he felt he could stay over.

He was. Most speculation was around him or Kevin Mayer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom