News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Disstevefan1

I didn't realize the company is currently being run as a charitable organization. News to me.
Disney’s Theme park business, absolutely no.

Disney’s movie business, sure looks like it.

When I think about it, the Disney theme parks make TRUCKLOADS of money then DONATES their profit to Disney's (not for profit) movie business where its lost.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I didn't realize the company is currently being run as a charitable organization. News to me.
No one said the former. There are ways to run the company that are in the interest of its long-term health and continued growth and ways to run it that are in the interest of short-term profit by extracting and draining all of its current value. Neither is about charity, but the latter is what interests Trian.

Disstevefan1

No one said the former. There are ways to run the company that are in the interest of its long-term health and continued growth and ways to run it that are in the interest of short-term profit by extracting and draining all of its current value. Neither is about charity, but the latter is what interests Trian.
I think I understand -

Disney's theme park business is doing the "short term profit" method, constant cutting costs and constantly raising prices on everything, bringing in BIG MONEY for the company. This "short term profit" method has been going on for decades in the theme parks.

Disney's movie business is now doing the V E R Y L O N G T E R M method. Return on investment taking a L O N G time, if ever, releasing "very important" movies that cost more money to make and market than they bring in, in the short term.

Disney's movie business used to get that HUGE box office "short term profit" but has wisely changed their method and are now releasing those "very important" movies going for that V E R Y L O N G T E R M health and growth.

Even though I hate the "short term profit" method the theme park business does, this method is what is keeping TWDC in business while they wait for that sweet V E R Y L O N G T E R M health and growth from their movies.

Last edited:

Brian

No one said the former.
OP's post implied that Peltz doing this for a payday is somehow different than how current Disney management runs the company. The latter is certainly also very interested in a payday, though, to your point in the unquoted portion of your post, there are differences between the two parties.

Disstevefan1

DisneyBurnsMoney.jpg

_caleb

I think I understand -

Disney's theme park business is doing the "short term profit" method, constant cutting costs and constantly raising prices on everything, bringing in BIG MONEY for the company. This "short term profit" method has been going on for decades in the theme parks.

Disney's movie business is now doing the V E R Y L O N G T E R M method. Return on investment taking a L O N G time, if ever, releasing "very important" movies that cost more money to make and market than they bring in, in the short term.

Disney's movie business used to get that HUGE box office "short term profit" but has wisely changed their method and are now releasing those "very important" movies going for that V E R Y L O N G T E R M health and growth.

Even though I hate the "short term profit" method the theme park business does, this method is what is keeping TWDC in business while they wait for that sweet V E R Y L O N G T E R M health and growth from their movies.
I think you're trying to be witty or sarcastic, but yes, this actually is a pretty good summary of how the company is operating right now. Milking the cash cow (the parks) with insufficient investment, cutbacks, and endless upcharges is keeping money coming in. But it's not sustainable.

The studios were spending way too much on production and marketing, but it's all been an investment in the right mix of content for the long-term viability of Direct-to-Consumer.

This isn't "charity," it's normal for a business to leverage one business unit/revenue stream to support the growth of another.

I'd love to know what Trian has in mind here. What would he do to squeeze more money out of the parks?

Funny that Peltz mentioned how many CEOs "stick around" or "continue to work with us" when they win a proxy fight like this.

Also, I'm pretty sure this may have been Peltz's first trip to Disney World.

Kamikaze

This is a super weird way Nielsen is going about reporting this. Looks like they are ranking only single week snapshots against one another. Hence why shows can be on the list even multiple times. Normally they actually add up the totality of the minutes watched in a year, maybe that is still coming? I assume that’s more the methodology the other company was using.

This reporting highly advantages full season dumps. The one episode a week releases don’t spike as high on the charts (therefore don’t make the list), but In totality likely overtake it. Ted Lasso and all of the Disney series generally being one.

It also buries something like Moana that probably is one of (?if not the most watched) movie this year. It doesn’t spike in the chart, but is frequently in the top ten week on week. Netflix tends to spike their content and move its audience onto the next thing rapidly.

Edit-oh yes it is definitely still coming. Nielsen isn’t even through reporting its weekly December 2023 results yet. Looks like they normally report in February based on previous years.
These numbers can be even more BS than Nielsens. There is no way to get 'real' numbers from any of the streamers.

In the Parks
No
I'm rooting against Iger. I think he needs to go, just like Eisner needed to go. If you read DisneyWar, you'll see so many parallels between current Iger and late-stage Eisner. I don't claim Peltz to be the Roy Disney in this situation, but I want Iger out. So long as Peltz doesn't want to sell Disney, which I'm not convinced Iger won't do, my priority is getting Iger out of there.

Disstevefan1

The studios were spending way too much on production and marketing, but it's all been an investment in the right mix of content for the long-term viability of Direct-to-Consumer.
We fully agree they spend too much on production and marketing for both their movies and DTC content.

I can’t speak as to if they are releasing the right mix of content. It’s my opinion, it appears to me the content is one thing and return on investment is another thing and TWDC knows this and is fine with this apparently?

Disney will create the content it creates period. If it makes ROI appears to be of no concern to the company apparently.

As for the viability of their DTC, this an unknown at this point. Only time will tell.

coachb

“ROI appears to be of no concern to the company…” Bingo! What is their concern then?

The answer may be subliminal even to the creators and it may indicate this company (unless something changes) is in big trouble.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom