News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Robbiem

Disney mulled buying Netflix in 2017, but instead of making that acquisition Iger paid the same amount for 20th Century Fox.

Netflix now has a market cap far higher than Disney’s.

One of those two assessed the landscape accurately.
Iger was never diverse. For all his supposed success he basically bought a bunch of movie studios to add IP (I know marvel is comic books etc but it was bought for the MCU). He never really diversified into new areas in the ways Eisner did. A diversified Disney should have had something like Netflix, a gaming studio, hospitality outside the parks, retail etc

J4546

Iger was never diverse. For all his supposed success he basically bought a bunch of movie studios to add IP (I know marvel is comic books etc but it was bought for the MCU). He never really diversified into new areas in the ways Eisner did. A diversified Disney should have had something like Netflix, a gaming studio, hospitality outside the parks, retail etc
Well Disney has D+, Housing projects, and retail outside the parks....no gaming studio though, and I agree they really should have an in house gaming studio with their IPs

Tha Realest

Well Disney has D+, Housing projects, and retail outside the parks....no gaming studio though, and I agree they really should have an in house gaming studio with their IPs
They’ve gone back and forth with gaming over time. They hit the ripcord in the middle of the Disney Infinity stuff and has gone all in on licensing.

Lilofan

Iger was diverse in one aspect. After a number of execs thought it would be a failure , Iger went against the grain and went all in to green light - Black Panther. He hit the jackpot.

Robbiem

I'm reading DisneyWar now...it's riveting. Sounds like Eisner was a complete egomaniac, and I'm only as far as 1995. I want James B. Stewart to write about what's going on now.
Disney War is a great book. I’d also recommend Michael Eisner’s autobiography work in progress to see the other side of events.

I agree with the above that a hell of a lot of people with too much power end up as ego driven maniacs.

what I find interesting now is the comparison between Eisner going and Iger. Mike left and did something new keeping quiet and moving on.
Bob was never able to move on. He stayed around and was very vocal about things eventually getting his job back.
Would make an interesting psyc study IMO 😀✌️

denyuntilcaught

Disney War is a great book. I’d also recommend Michael Eisner’s autobiography work in progress to see the other side of events.

I agree with the above that a hell of a lot of people with too much power end up as ego driven maniacs.

what I find interesting now is the comparison between Eisner going and Iger. Mike left and did something new keeping quiet and moving on.
Bob was never able to move on. He stayed around and was very vocal about things eventually getting his job back.
Would make an interesting psyc study IMO 😀✌️
I read Disney War (also loved it, needs a sequel) and am currently smack dab in the middle of Work in Progress, which is also a fantastic book. By nature of its own design, it humanizes Eisner to a great degree.

Even if you read it being aware of the self-promotional aspect of the book (i.e. Eisner's close peer's Barry Diller's raving review on the book cover is particularly amusing) it does give insight as to why Eisner made the choices he made.

Having also read Iger's The Ride of a Lifetime, there's some clear areas of contrast between how the two think. Eisner was a dreamer driven by creativity, polluted by ego. Iger is a businessman driven by ego, with creativity seen as a bullet on a job posting, versus something innate.

Disstevefan1

Absolute Power corrupts absolutely -- quote from British historian Lord Action in late nineteenth century. Some things never change.
PopeIgerMoney.jpg

denyuntilcaught

That sums it up so perfectly!!!

Even some of Eisners failures came from a place of creativity. Light Magic for example.
Yes! Some of his biggest failures may have missed the mark elsewhere, but in retrospect I respect the man for at least giving it a shot. Where Eisner started to go south, funny enough, was when he lost that creative passion due to the Wells + health issues.

BrianLo

Apple also has a fraction of Netflix’s and Disney’s subscribers, so I was asking how the rankings were calculated.

e.g., other sources seem to disagree: “Outer Banks, The Night Agent and Ginny & Georgia were the top originals when calculated by weekly viewing minutes.” Nielsen: https://www.nielsen.com/insights/2023/tops-of-2023-tv/

This is a super weird way Nielsen is going about reporting this. Looks like they are ranking only single week snapshots against one another. Hence why shows can be on the list even multiple times. Normally they actually add up the totality of the minutes watched in a year, maybe that is still coming? I assume that’s more the methodology the other company was using.

This reporting highly advantages full season dumps. The one episode a week releases don’t spike as high on the charts (therefore don’t make the list), but In totality likely overtake it. Ted Lasso and all of the Disney series generally being one.

It also buries something like Moana that probably is one of (?if not the most watched) movie this year. It doesn’t spike in the chart, but is frequently in the top ten week on week. Netflix tends to spike their content and move its audience onto the next thing rapidly.

Edit-oh yes it is definitely still coming. Nielsen isn’t even through reporting its weekly December 2023 results yet. Looks like they normally report in February based on previous years.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Disney CEO Bob Iger saw his compensation hit $31.6 million in 2023 — down from $45.9 million in 2021, his last full year of employment at the company.

Iger’s 2023 pay package included $865,385 in base salary, plus 16.1 million in stock awards, $10 million in stock-option awards, $2.14 million cash bonus and $2.48 million in other compensation. His contract with Disney runs through the end of 2026."

JoeCamel

Some of the replies indicate this would be just an increase in the shares Buffett already has. I don't know Buffett's feelings on the present state of Disney. If he thinks it needs drastic change (namely a return to creativity and a cessation in pricing out guests), then I would welcome this.
Warren likes insurance companies, companies with proven growth and vertical integration. He isn't a speculator and I can't see why this would give him the solid returns he is known for.
I think he is stepping back from day to day with age and the passing of Charlie, looking more to legacy than new horizons to conquer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom