News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

_caleb

In the real world, if a business loses money for several years, and then finally stop losing money that doesn’t mean they are profitable. They aren’t profitable until they make up what they lost for several years! Haha.
It’s pretty typical for businesses to leverage existing revenue streams to invest in new revenue streams.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s pretty typical for businesses to leverage existing revenue streams to invest in new revenue streams.
Indeed, the overall company is still netting billions.

When Disney bought Pixar for billions, where were all the people bemoaning that loss of cash savings which could have been more dividends?

The purchases of Pixar, LucasFilm, Marvel, and 20thC were all investments which 'hurt' the bottom line, but, was presumed to provide profit later on.

Trauma

Indeed, the overall company is still netting billions.

When Disney bought Pixar for billions, where were all the people bemoaning that loss of cash savings which could have been more dividends?

The purchases of Pixar, LucasFilm, Marvel, and 20thC were all investments which 'hurt' the bottom line, but, was presumed to provide profit later on.
No matter how you spin it net income is at lows
we haven’t seen since the 2000’s.

Even more concerning is the return on capitol deployed is at RECORD lows. That means current management is investing money less effectively then any point in company HISTORY.

That is why the company is in so much trouble right now, yet you keep going on about how they made a couple Billion.

Not a single positive metric about the direction on the business. That’s why the stock is in the dumpster.

It’s time for new management that can effectively lead the company into the future.

Disstevefan1

In the real world, if a business loses money for several years, and then finally stop losing money that doesn’t mean they are profitable. They aren’t profitable until they make up what they lost for several years! Haha.
I agree, but, If Disney+ ever becomes profitable all the losses to get there will be forgotten and Iger will be crowned king of entertainment.

MrPromey

Entertainment is so far outside his wheelhouse that I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would think he is a good fit for a company like Disney. He does his best in areas that interest him and that has always been tech focused.
I don't know.

Watching a 52 year old man constantly trying to PWN his haters while pretending he's too cool to care is entertaining in a totally unscripted if-reality-tv-were-real sort of way.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Entertainment is so far outside his wheelhouse that I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would think he is a good fit for a company like Disney. He does his best in areas that interest him and that has always been tech focused.
How's that boring company going?

Brian

Musk is focused on issues important to the future of humanity. The environment (Tesla), traffic (Boring Co.), AI (xAI), free speech (X) and the possible extinction of consciousness due to a global event, requiring humanity to become a spacefaring, multi-planetary species (SpaceX).

Disney is the most beloved entertainment company in history. The content that Disney puts out has an impact on humanity, and especially on children. I could easily see him being interested in Disney's future. Whether he's interested enough to be willing and able to secure the untold billions it would take to acquire them remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Dranth

Musk is focused on issues important to humanity. The environment (Tesla), traffic (Boring Co.), AI (xAI), free speech (X) and the possible extinction of consciousness due to a global event, requiring humanity to become a spacefaring, multi-planetary species (SpaceX).

Disney is the most beloved entertainment company in history. The content that Disney puts out has an impact on humanity, and especially on children. I could easily see him being interested in Disney's future. Whether he's interested enough to be willing and able to secure the untold billions it would take to acquire them remains to be seen.
His actions argue otherwise but for the sake of the discussion let's say all that is true, that still doesn't make him a good fit for an entertainment company. One of the reasons Twitter has been such a disaster is that he had NO idea what he was walking into or how to manage it and it shows.

This goes for anyone, if you don't understand what you are running, you're are going to make bad decisions.

Brian

His actions argue otherwise but for the sake of the discussion let's say all that is true, that still doesn't make him a good fit for an entertainment company. One of the reasons Twitter has been such a disaster is that he had NO idea what he was walking into or how to manage it and it shows.

This goes for anyone, if you don't understand what you are running, you're are going to make bad decisions.
He can own the company and put into place entertainment industry veterans in whom he has confidence to run the C Suite.

Vegas Disney Fan

You don’t have to be an expert to own a company, you just need to hire experts. Something he’s done pretty well with Tesla, The Boreing co, Spacex, etc but something he’s done a horrible job with Twitter.

Unfortunately with Musk you don’t know if you’re going to get the concept level guy or the micromanager guy.

Dranth

You don’t have to be an expert to own a company, you just need to hire experts. Something he’s done pretty well with Tesla, The Boreing co, Spacex, etc but something he’s done a horrible job with Twitter.

Unfortunately with Musk you don’t know if you’re going to get the concept level guy or the micromanager guy.
Yes, but we were talking about running a company or at least that is how I read it. However, even as an owner instead of a CEO, you need to know enough to know what you don't know.

His problem with Twitter is he thought he knew. Same problem with something like Disney in my mind.

I think most of us want Iger to step down, when his current contract is up at the latest, and then have a creative type step in. That isn't Musk and I don't know why anyone would trust him enough to think he would not try and take the reins or would know enough to appoint someone who could do the job.

Besides, nearly every company he is involved with, outside of Tesla, losses money. He is rich enough to do that for now but there is a limit. The complaining about D+ losing money for five years, which we were told about up front, is bad enough. I am not sure I want to see the posts about how SpaceX is using the parks as an ATM because it lost money again for the 22 straight year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom