News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Dranth

I see this a lot when people defend the sequels and remakes. The problem I have with this mentality is this. All those sequels and remakes were made possible because they once came from an original story. Sequels are fine, but you have to be able to create original projects. Yes, an original project is a bigger gamble than a sequel to something everyone already loves. That's why getting these super inflated budgets in check is so important. If everything wasn't a tent pole budget, you could take some risks and not have to have a tent pole box office. Therefore keeping your pipeline full so you aren't having to rely on toy story 5.
Agreed they really need to work on budgets.

Also, I think it is safe to say we all want as much original content as we can get (without sacrificing quality) but the sequels need to be there to help float the boat. So, after a bad run of originals at the box office, it doesn't surprise me we would get a quick influx of sequels. I would even go further to say the type of sequel matters a great deal. For instance, I want to see Inside Out 2. That can easily be a good movie in its own right. On the other hand, I don't want to see another Toy Story. Who knows, maybe they find a fun, original concept for it but it feels played out at this point.

Regardless, none of this means that is all we are going to get which is what some seemed like they were trying to imply.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Regardless, none of this means that is all we are going to get which is what some seemed like they were trying to imply.

Elio. What other original Disney or Pixar movies are on the schedule in the next 3 years?

Hint: There aren't any.

Squeeze the existing for more money to prop up the division. "Milk the franchises". That's the strategy of someone who doesn't care what wreckage they leave behind when they bail out (for the second time). At this point, I'm surprised Bob hasn't announce Indiana Jones 6, featuring a 100% CGI, de-aged Harrison Ford as the star.

JD80

The same people screaming for more non-sequels (Disney and Pixar are making a lot of these) they complain about the Raya's and the Turning Reds.

These people aren't very good at critical thinking.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And MGM+ bringing up the rear. They should all merge under the Discovery, Warner, HBO Max banner.
MGM+ is the merger of Epix and and MGM. It is is primarily a premium cable network, but like most premium cable networks, is now also a streaming network. It was bought by Apple and is considered a 'sister' to Prime, tho, it is destined to be merged with Amazon Prime in the end. It doesn't need to turn a profit with Apple keeping it as a pet.

You may be think of Starz, which used to be fed with Sony content, but now is left with just Lionsgate/Summit studios, its owner, Lionsgate, has been actively looking to sell itself (the studio) and/or Starz (the cable channel/streamer).

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Elio. What other original Disney or Pixar movies are on the schedule in the next 3 years?

Squeeze the existing for more money to prop up the division. "Milk the franchises". That's the strategy of someone who doesn't care what wreckage they leave behind when they bail out (for the second time). At this point, I'm surprised Bob hasn't announce Indiana Jones 6, featuring a 100% CGI, de-aged Harrison Ford as the star.
Wow, you're going to give them a full three years.

One thing: Each studio only produces, on average, one movie per year. And they only really usually announce the next year's movie, not the ones coming out two or three years later.

So, after DAS does four non-sequel movies in a row, you're going to complain about Frozen 3 and Zootopia 2 which is only over the next 2 years, not three?

And after Pixar does 5 non-sequel movies in four years, you're complaining about the next 3 years... and what movies will that be? Elio and Inside Out 2.

Over the history of Pixar, in general, one of every three movies has been a sequel. Nothing's changing that we can see because we don't have their 3 year plan.

Dranth

We don't know because they haven't announced any yet.

I expect we will get another 2019-esk sequel run and then back to a good mix until we get a new CEO. You are leaning more towards all sequels. We'll see what happens.

ToTBellHop

Given the box office returns this year, it’s no surprise Bob wants Frozen III-XII produced concurrently just to convince investors Disney films will one day turn a profit again. The fact that it was remarkable that Elemental managed to finish in the black tells us all we need to know about the kinds of discussions now occurring over future theatrical releases.

Let’s just hope they don’t leak the titles of those films. If people learn Frozen VII is actually called Revenge of Olaf, there will be trouble.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wow, you're going to give them a full three years.

One thing: Each studio only produces, on average, one movie per year. And they only really usually announce the next year's movie, not the ones coming out two or three years later.

So, after DAS does four non-sequel movies in a row, you're going to complain about Frozen 3 and Zootopia 2 which is only over the next 2 years, not three?

And after Pixar does 5 non-sequel movies in four years, you're complaining about the next 3 years... and what movies will that be? Elio and Inside Out 2.

Over the history of Pixar, in general, one of every three movies has been a sequel. Nothing's changing that we can see because we don't have their 3 year plan.

Pixar did 4 sequels in their first 16 movies, and only 2 in the first 11. They then did 4 sequels in 5 movies, then 5 of their last 6 have been originals. So that has to mean... more sequels? Because that will mean they will "meet the ratio"?

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

You all do realize that it's not a crime for Disney (and Pixar) to continue to create new and original content these days, right? That not everything has to be a Bob-mandated "franchise" or a sequel to something?

ToTBellHop

Pixar did 4 sequels in their first 16 movies, and only 2 in the first 11. They then did 4 sequels in 5 movies, then 5 of their last 6 have been originals. So that has to mean... more sequels? Because that will mean they will "meet the ratio"?

You all do realize that it's not a crime for Disney (and Pixar) to continue to create new and original content these days, right? That not everything has to be a Bob-mandated "franchise" or a sequel to something?
Don’t you dare suggest anything but a sequel to Bob-the-Sequel-to-Bob-the-Sequel-to-Bob!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Given the box office returns this year, it’s no surprise Bob wants Frozen III-XII produced concurrently just to convince investors Disney films will one day turn a profit again. The fact that it was remarkable that Elemental managed to finish in the black tells us all we need to know about the kinds of discussions now occurring over future theatrical releases.

Let’s just hope they don’t leak the titles of those films. If people learn Frozen VII is actually called Revenge of Olaf, there will be trouble.

Minor correction - The super-secret titles have already been leaked. Frozen V is "Elsa Strikes Back". Frozen VI is "The Revenge of Olaf". Frozen VII is "Elsa Awakens". Frozen VII is "The Last Princess", followed by Frozen IX, "The Rise of Anna".

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

then comes live action
Frozen VIII - Infinity War

With a more diverse cast of course

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

I'd appreciate both new IP as well as sequels.

If the sequels are good, I don't understand the hate for them.

Just about every TV series anyone has ever liked is just weekly sequels.

ToTBellHop

Toy Story 3 was the perfect way to end the trilogy. Everything beyond that is just ... wrong.
I snort so much pixie dust that I cried like a baby at the end of TS3.

But, Disney has to make a TS after Lightyear to remind some of their customers that they didn’t cancel Tim Allen due to his political views. Apparently The Santa Clauses wasn’t enough.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The same people screaming for more non-sequels (Disney and Pixar are making a lot of these) they complain about the Raya's and the Turning Reds.

These people aren't very good at critical thinking.

I agree, you can't slam both sequels and original titles and think you'll have any standing.

FWIW, 'Turning Red' is the only movie I wish had never been made. Truly awful. 'Soul'? Good. 'Luca'? Good. 'Raya'? Good. 'Elemental'? Good. Saw both of the latter in the theater, as well.

(After release, I think my daughter was personally responsible for dozens of hours of 'Luca' viewing per month. 😂 )

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I snort so much pixie dust that I cried like a baby at the end of TS3.

But, Disney has to make a TS after Lightyear to remind some of their customers that they didn’t cancel Tim Allen due to his political views. Apparently The Santa Clauses wasn’t enough.
I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of sliced onions in the theater when we saw TS3.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom