News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

MR.Dis

Was there something fundamentally wrong with the story of the Little Mermaid? Why did it work in 1989?
Nope, not fundamentally wrong. It just was not fresh and offer anything new. Sebastian was a big part of the success of the first movie, was a big dud in the second. I would be disingenuous if I did not mention some of the negative press on casting decisions. Personally, this was sad as I do not care as long as the actor does a good job. As far as other remakes, the remake of Beauty and the Beast was a big success. This despite some negative press on LaFou same sex dance at the end of the movie which was really a big nothing. As for what I would like is more like Elemental, an original story that was well done.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nope, not fundamentally wrong. It just was not fresh and offer anything new. Sebastian was a big part of the success of the first movie, was a big dud in the second. I would be disingenuous if I did not mention some of the negative press on casting decisions. Personally, this was sad as I do not care as long as the actor does a good job. As far as other remakes, the remake of Beauty and the Beast was a big success. This despite some negative press on LaFou same sex dance at the end of the movie which was really a big nothing. As for what I would like is more like Elemental, an original story that was well done.
Wish granted:
  • Disney's Wish
  • Pixar's Elio

Wish removed:
  • The following years will double down on sequels for the money.

Drdcm

The IP stuff makes things tricky and I’m not sure it will play out like they expect it will in the long run. It “turbocharges” returns in the short term, but I’m not sure it will hold up long term. Especially when they start to rely on sequels to maintain a franchise.

There are a few clear classics that will hold their own in recent years -Frozen for example. It’s ok to build a frozen ride in my book, that’s going to be popular for a very very long time.

Zootopia is already waning. Im not convinced kids are going to continue to be obsessed with Encanto a decade from now. I think the same goes for Marvel characters, interest is already waning for that content.

Pirates of the Caribbean May have been a classic… until they made like 5 more that were all far inferior to the first. Same thing with Toy Story. Don’t even get me started on Star Wars…

I’m actually ok with IP, and am fine with whatever IP they choose to implement. I’ll most likely enjoy it, but I think I will get bored of it eventually. They need to really be careful to pick things that are timeless for the long term payout I think.

Although… that’s just my impression

Edit: the original Toy Story is a classic despite the sequels in my opinion.

el_super

Nope, not fundamentally wrong. It just was not fresh and offer anything new.

Depends on how you look at it. Offering the same story with different actors, different settings, different twists is a long cherished tradition that allows you to focus on other aspects of the medium.

It's why there are multiple iterations of Peter Pan or Romeo and Juliet. It's how Broadway shows can for years/decades. Different collaborators can bring different things.

If you narrow the problem with the new Little Mermaid to just actor choice...well... it's going to sound... strange.

Bill in Atlanta

Based Iger?
Iger's comments yesterday are essentially identical to what he said when he returned as CEO in Nov 2022:
"Do I like the company being embroiled in controversy? Of course not. It can be distracting, and it can have a negative impact on the company. And to the extent that I can work to kind of quiet things down, I’m going to do that," he added.

Here we are 10 months later, and he's still speaking about this in the future tense. I'm not sure what it means, if anything.

drizgirl

Iger's comments yesterday are essentially identical to what he said when he returned as CEO in Nov 2022:
"Do I like the company being embroiled in controversy? Of course not. It can be distracting, and it can have a negative impact on the company. And to the extent that I can work to kind of quiet things down, I’m going to do that," he added.

Here we are 10 months later, and he's still speaking about this in the future tense. I'm not sure what it means, if anything.
Still talking about it. Has he actually done anything about it since then?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have some sad news to report.

Bob Iger is sick.

Not only does he have a terrible case of "Remakeitis" (according to those in the know, it's the worst case they've ever seen), he's also suffering from a case of "Sequelitis" (similar to his predecessor, but also some different symptoms) as well as a bad case of "Franchiseitis". The worst part? Not only do these diseases infect the host, but they can often spread to others via close contact. Disney will need to figure out how to eradicate these before they wipe out even more originality (in general) and creative people (who leave due to so many being infected with these diseases). Pfizer and Moderna tried to come up with a vaccine against these but even their doctors and scientists could not create one.

Sadly, none of these diseases will mean he has to step down as CEO.

Lilofan

Ohhh... Was he supposed to actually do something? I don't think he learned that in business school.
Iger went to Ithaca for his bachelors, no MBA. He probably has seen it all , earning $150 a week in his first job at Disney doing manual labor working on television sets for ABC.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Still talking about it. Has he actually done anything about it since then?
The content pipeline is long and slow.

Dranth

Are they not capable of adjusting what's in the pipeline?
I think the problem is most of the stuff they do takes years, even if done quickly, so it takes awhile to see any changes from the outside.

On the studio side you can make some changes to existing projects but unless they want to spend obscene amounts of money on rewrites and reshoots there isn't much they can do. More likely they just finish what was far enough along that it would be cost prohibitive to change and then focus on things that are early in production or new projects. Assuming the strike ever ends, I would think we should see some of those efforts coming out late 2024 if not early 2025.

For the parks, I think we have already started to see some movement there. For example, the last D23 Chapek was still in charge and I feel it was pretty obvious that they had gutted Imagineering and had no idea what to do. They brought Bruce Vaughn back around six months ago and you could tell from the Destination D23 this year he has already made a difference.

Assuming they were able to staff back up, it would take at least a year or two to fully design a ride so it was ready for construction. That would put us in the first half of 2024 before there is anything solid enough to work on.

Tha Realest

Not for nothing, but around $10 below the “Chapek Line”

1695417522214.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom