News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Dranth

I think the tone of the article should be taken with a huge grain of salt. The factual details were interesting, but they are constantly describing people “fuming”, “stewing”, etc. upon hearing various remarks or in reaction to certain things. Like really, how would they know what all parties were doing internally?
I partially disagree here. The tone mostly comes from the people that they talked to for the article, not the article itself.

Dranth

Iger comes across as an egomaniac who doesn’t want to be left out of Hollywood shindigs and used a public company as his own plaything while the incompetent board sat back and did nothing. How there wasn’t a mass exodus from the boardroom after all this is an even bigger mystery.
Yes, he is an egomaniac, just like every last type A CEO that will ever exist. You don't get that job without being one or if you do, you quickly become one.

Also, a big chunk of the board was replaced.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He's not flawless - but if the story is correct, he was certainly undermined and then hung out to dry by the CFO.

Basically the jist of the story is, once Iger soured on him for not continuing to kiss the ring properly, he was more then willing to undercut him and lead to his demise.

You can't give someone the keys to the kingdom and then work against them from inside. And that's exactly what Iger and the board apparently did.

No one is going to bat .1000 with their choices, nor be the perfect avatar from the get go.. but Disney sure has a history of screwing up promotions.

You’re missing a chapter there…

The one where Napoleon got wind that there would be a coming recession/depression (fact…it’s been stated by the powers that be as the dust stlettled) and was worried that his “flawless” reputation would be soiled…so he “retired to spend time with his family and ran screaming from the dopey corner suite…

…had that not happened…Slaphead would have been kept in the basement or forced out as Xenia spread gossip about him around town and old sweater would be still maneuvering for extensions today…

…wait…that last part is happening…so scratch that detail.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the tone of the article should be taken with a huge grain of salt. The factual details were interesting, but they are constantly describing people “fuming”, “stewing”, etc. upon hearing various remarks or in reaction to certain things. Like really, how would they know what all parties were doing internally?
Because someone is leaking to push a narrative…

Are they exaggerating?..probably…

But it’s Hollywood and that’s ALWAYS ego and money…not too much of stretch to accept there’s fire behind the smoke

Animaniac93-98

It is funny to me how many people are reading into the article what they want instead of what is actually there.

Iger comes across as petulant and controlling while Chapek needy, incompetent, and downright unintelligent.

As I said in another thread, neither look good after what's been written, but the board doesn't look good either.

DisneyHead123

I don't know how much is really "factual" and how much is just people speaking to the authors and retelling their version of events from their perspective. Memory is a funny thing, as its inaccurate and can be manipulated with each retelling of a story. I'd take the whole article with a huge truck load of salt, as its basically just the same information from that CNBC article from last year (as a poster pointed out in another thread).

Yeah, and in addition, who knows how what was said between parties that wasn't reported? It's an interesting outline of events and of course I'm intrigued with anything involving Disney, but I'm willing to bet there's more to the story or at least multiple possible interpretations.

hopemax

No one comes out well in that article. Iger, Chapek, the Board. I don't know how people can read that, and everything else and come away thinking Disney is a well-run company that just hit the same unanticipated roadblock everyone else did (pandemic and coming out of it). Chapek seems like he wanted the top job, but all the stories seem like he wasn't actually interested in *doing* the job. Not reading necessary materials, agreeing to sign the statement the rest of the industry signed, meeting and schmoozing. Iger is another example of power corrupting. You think you will be the one that doesn't have to be king forever, and can walk away, until someone hands you the ring of power and then it's all about legacy.

I figured that was how it went down, but this reads as even more dysfunctional than I imagined. When you are talking about the C-suites at major companies you think there is some base level of competence. And well, the last few years has been an example how that is totally not the case. The Board follows a trend I see lots of places. Letting problems fester. When forced to have to deal with a problematic situation before it becomes a crisis no one steps up; the bad behavior intensifies because no one wants to stick their neck out. Everyone just hoping the problem will come to their senses, wise up and do better.

Animaniac93-98

No one comes out well in that article. Iger, Chapek, the Board. I don't know how people can read that, and everything else and come away thinking Disney is a well-run company that just hit the same unanticipated roadblock everyone else did (pandemic and coming out of it). Chapek seems like he wanted the top job, but all the stories seem like he wasn't actually interested in *doing* the job. Not reading necessary materials, agreeing to sign the statement the rest of the industry signed, meeting and schmoozing. Iger is another example of power corrupting. You think you will be the one that doesn't have to be king forever, and can walk away, until someone hands you the ring of power and then it's all about legacy.

I figured that was how it went down, but this reads as even more dysfunctional than I imagined. When you are talking about the C-suites at major companies you think there is some base level of competence. And well, the last few years has been an example how that is totally not the case. The Board follows a trend I see lots of places. Letting problems fester. When forced to have to deal with a problematic situation before it becomes a crisis no one steps up; the bad behavior intensifies because no one wants to stick their neck out. Everyone just hoping the problem will come to their senses, wise up and do better.

But the parks are busy and Inside Out and Deadpool were big hits! Doesn't that mean they know what they're doing?

[/sarcasm]

MagicEye99

There’s nothing impressive between the two, or any internal candidate.

This article couldn’t have made it out there without multiple people from the c-suite past and present passing notes.

Bob doesn’t want to go, at least not on these terms. The board and bureaucracy is with whatever Bob wants to do. He’s got another year or two to rebuild, but I’m not sure if that’s possible. This story was supposed to force him to the door, but I think it does the opposite. This was a power play move to put pressure on him, but I think he stays. None of the internals have a fraction of his gravitas. The only one that does who has been circling from outside is Staggs.
I have no idea who this person would be, but maybe they need to pull externally. That's what they did with Eisner, poaching him from Paramount. There must be a competent individual out there who can fill the role better than the dolts at the company now...

Ultimately, the market will dictate how this goes. Down 25% in 6 mos. is pretty horrendous when the market returned nearly 7% in a tepid economy. Sad as it is, I'm almost hoping for a nearly bottoming out that forces them to get creative and make sweeping changes.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨︎ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
I have no idea who this person would be, but maybe they need to pull externally. That's what they did with Eisner, poaching him from Paramount. There must be a competent individual out there who can fill the role better than the dolts at the company now...
I've wondered. But, I don't think there is.

I think the best strategy moving forward is a duo of shared leadership. That way we get a needed creative but also the all-business operational role for an even system of checks and balances.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

As I said in another thread, neither look good after what's been written, but the board doesn't look good either.
The creatives don’t come out looking good either, seems like everyone involved at the upper levels of Disney view it as a place to advance their personal goals and beliefs rather than a place to create joy.

Chapeks downfall started when he didn’t sign on to the opposition letter all the other major corporations signed (after saying he would), which lead to Iger making a public statement, which lead to the creatives protesting, which lead to Chapek making a stand alone Disney statement, which lead to the very public feud with FL, which lead to the whole “woke Disney” narrative, which lead to the downfall of RCiD, etc, etc, etc…

Makes me wonder how differently the last few years may have turned out for both Chapek and Disney had be just signed the letter like he said he would.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
The creatives don’t come out looking good either, seems like everyone involved at the upper levels of Disney view it as a place to advance their personal goals and beliefs rather than a place to create joy.

Chapeks downfall started when he didn’t sign on to the opposition letter all the other major corporations signed (after saying he would), which lead to Iger making a public statement, which lead to the creatives protesting, which lead to Chapek making a stand alone Disney statement, which lead to the very public feud with FL, which lead to the whole “woke Disney” narrative, which lead to the downfall of RCiD, etc, etc, etc…

Makes me wonder how differently the last few years may have turned out for both Chapek and Disney had be just signed the letter like he said he would.
Don’t think it would have mattered much. There were so many things that Iger could hold above Chapek’s head. It’s clear Iger was willing to go scorched earth and do as much damage to the company as possible in order to force Chapek out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Ultimately, the market will dictate how this goes. Down 25% in 6 mos. is pretty horrendous when the market returned nearly 7% in a tepid economy. Sad as it is, I'm almost hoping for a nearly bottoming out that forces them to get creative and make sweeping changes.

They absolutely 1001% need external. They won’t do it. I don’t think they’re even serious to be honest.

And “tepid” economy only applies to the growing ranks of poor people who have been price gouged into oblivion

The stock market? They’ve never been fatter and happier. No way Disney should be down. For them to be the opposite of the trend line is fairly redonkulous

I've wondered. But, I don't think there is.

I think the best strategy moving forward is a duo of shared leadership. That way we get a needed creative but also the all-business operational role for an even system of checks and balances.

They’d find someone if anyone had the slightest inkling to look…they never have. Not once. Not since 1984. That’s kinda silly.
I’m hoping we end up with Josh, he doesn’t overly impress me but at least he knows what a theme park is.
Not qualified. Really at all.
Yes, because the reign of strategic planners has been so good every time it’s been tried. Tom Staggs is the unsung architect of contemporary Disney.

Ah yes…every low level WDI or fan HATES the old OSP…so much so it’s brought into every discussion anywhere close

But what really belongs in all talk? Iger is just as bad of a cheap, empty suit and has a done a bang up job of running the whole thing over the cliff…

Dranth

The board made mistakes but honestly only one of them stands out to me as exceptionally bad and that was not sticking to and insisting on interviews and the COO route for Chapek. The weird, reporting structure wasn't great either but could have worked well for Chapek had he played it right and honestly, as bad as he turned out to be, it likely prevented even more damage than what could have been done otherwise.

Either way, half the board has been replaced since that decision was made so hopefully we won't see something similar again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom