News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

BrianLo

So, if not for poor investment/acquisition strategy, $DIS is actually pretty healthy and fairly priced at a below par position?

Basically, on that one corrected metric at least. I’m not sure what impairments could rear their head moving forward. But the Q4 YoY lapse is definitely in their favour. Both between content impairment and the much stronger box office.

Though of course this is all priced in already. It’s DTC movement (or lack thereof depending on your beliefs) that’s really going to determine the companies moderate term course.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
So that’s how the Disney sausage is made…I guess they spent a lot of time researching this thread.

When the establishment media make Iger the bad guy and Chapek sympathetic, it’s over.

No amount of PR spin can hide a company in complete stagnation. It looks like the knives are out for Iger…from within.

New CEO announcement imminent.

Br0ckford

"But Mr. Chapek told him that his children and grandchildren were a “Disney family” and he couldn’t bring himself to file a lawsuit that might hurt the company, Mr. Freedman said."

Pretty sure it was his D+ subscription

"Mr. Chapek’s wife told him he was little more than Mr. Iger’s “lap dog.”"
Ouch!!

DisneyHead123

DIS Palace Coup

If not already posted elsewhere.

Makes me feel bad for all involved. It’s easy to rant about Disney as a powerful abstraction and forget these are real people. Seems like people were feeling hurt and stepped on all around and it was just one of those situations where a multitude of factors collided and the result was a bit of a mess.

I’m assuming Josh is the likely successor now, and guessing the “apprenticeship” period for him will be much more involved. My guess is that - cultivating the next CEO with more training - will be Iger’s takeaway from what happened with Chapek.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So that’s how the Disney sausage is made…I guess they spent a lot of time researching this thread.

When the establishment media make Iger the bad guy and Chapek sympathetic, it’s over.

No amount of PR spin can hide a company in complete stagnation. It looks like the knives are out for Iger…from within.

…I got a theory on that…

…shocking…I know

Vegas Disney Fan

Makes me feel bad for all involved. It’s easy to rant about Disney as a powerful abstraction and forget these are real people. Seems like people were feeling hurt and stepped on all around and it was just one of those situations where a multitude of factors collided and the result was a bit of a mess.

I think this about most people we place on pedestals, I think most “important” people (politicians, executives, etc) are bumbling and stumbling through life just like the rest of us, they’re just better at hiding their inadequacies and better at shifting blame for their mistakes.

I’ve worked for several multi billion dollar companies and in my experience the people running them are just average Joes (intellectually) who have worked their way to the top through time more than some special knowledge.

DisneyHead123

I think this about most people we place on pedestals, I think most “important” people (politicians, executives, etc) are bumbling and stumbling through life just like the rest of us, they’re just better at hiding their inadequacies and better at shifting blame for their mistakes.

I’ve worked for several multi billion dollar companies and in my experience the people running them are just average Joes (intellectually) who have worked their way to the top through time more than some special knowledge.

Yeah I mean at the end of the day we’re all just humans, right? Easy to see others as living a sort of superpower-ed existence but people are people.

JD80

That article is exhausting. I hope to have to wait 20 years before reading something like that again as the next Disney CEO refuses to let go of power.

When I saw this article, I had a hunch Zenia was behind it or in it somehow. It's NYT after all and she was Iger's protector for years. Then I saw her headshot in it. Very interesting stuff...

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
When I saw this article, I had a hunch Zenia was behind it or in it somehow. It's NYT after all and she was Iger's protector for years. Then I saw her headshot in it. Very interesting stuff...
Dana was barely mentioned.

Dana is the leading contender.

Dana is very chummy with establishment media.

Dana doesn’t want to be Chapeked.

Shots fired.

Nubs70

First, I find it interesting that, by design, Chapek was serving 2 masters at the same time.

This is NEVER a recipe for success. Chapek was screwed before he took the job.

Second, Chapek's name was not trial ballooned prior to the announcement. That is in direct contrast with the Staggs succession evaluation and the current succession activities.

Finally, how the Chapek succession was so abrupt. Bob Iger has at his disposal one of the world's largest intelligence gathering organizations, that is ABC News. He knew real time the implications of Covid in China and the impact governmental policies would have on $DIS. This only reinforces my opinion that Iger pulled the pin, popped the spoon, and handed Chapek a live hand grenade.

flynnibus

Premium Member
First, I find it interesting that, by design, Chapek was serving 2 masters at the same time.

This is NEVER a recipe for success. Chapek was screwed before he took the job.

Second, Chapek's name was not trial ballooned prior to the announcement. That is in direct contrast with the Staggs succession evaluation and the current succession activities.

Finally, how the Chapek succession was so abrupt. Bob Iger has at his disposal one of the world's largest intelligence gathering organizations, that is ABC News. He knew real time the implications of Covid in China and the impact governmental policies would have on $DIS. This only reinforces my opinion that Iger pulled the pin, popped the spoon, and handed Chapek a live hand grenade.

And why the Board is ultimately the party responsible for going along with it, contributing to it, and floundering through it all. They had a power guy in Iger who they deferred to, and then couldn't function in anyway counter to him.

They let this 'no win' situation start, and when things started getting hairy, they couldn't fix it and eventually started picking sides and contributing to the undermining.

The whole board should be flushed... that was the saddest part of the read for me, is that somehow Peltz actually read as somewhat sane in that piece because of seeking change in the board.. of course the rest of his platform was BS... but in the list of characters in that story he actually comes out clean. Insane...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom