News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Casper Gutman

At least your cerebral battery is still connected to the engine…more than I can say for the gotcha king and the two Orlando lurking “imagineers”…

It’s not gonna happen…but it should:

One or two of the larger investment blocks withhold their board votes…which means they are all appointed with 30-40% withheld. Peltz is gone…receiving not enough support to make a blip.

The stock then takes a dive…as the lack of management trust/turmoil causes the supercomputers to short sell it (which they probably get paid with bogus “insurance” policies anyway) for a period of time.

If Iger does the smart thing…he announces his resignation and succession begins.

But since they have no succession because he’ll never leave (tried that…and oh did he not like the cold darkness outside of the lights)…the board would then be beholden to the institutional investors to just “get it done”…at warp 9, Mr. Sulu. The ferret is neutralized.

Then things stabilize…the soap opera ends…and younger blood that MUST COME ANYWAY moves on.

But I’m not asking for much. 😎
Cool. Or maybe Peltz gets so angry when he doesn't get his seats that he tosses his scotch at the wall which then spills into a small patch of ketchup left on the recently polished kitchen table and it turns out that the combination of polish, scotch, and old ketchup creates an elixir that can revive the dead and Walt Disney comes back to life and replaces Iger.

Or Peltz wins and some or all of his stated policies are implemented and things get much worse at Disney and you pretend that you had nothing to do with it.

Iger is 73. He's going to go soon, one way or the other. You won't like his successor.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cool. Or maybe Peltz gets so angry when he doesn't get his seats that he tosses his scotch at the wall which then spills into a small patch of ketchup left on the recently polished kitchen table and it turns out that the combination of polish, scotch, and old ketchup creates an elixir that can revive the dead and Walt Disney comes back to life and replaces Iger.

Or Peltz wins and some or all of his stated policies are implemented and things get much worse at Disney and you pretend that you had nothing to do with it.

Iger is 73. He's going to go soon, one way or the other. You won't like his successor.
He’s not getting a seat…and time is not really on his side

This too shall pass…but we will be the ones scratching our heads. They don’t fret this in Sun valley

And for the 4,005th time: I do not vote for Peltz with my chunk…and it’s a chunk

Try to keep up

Define “soon”

History is your guide. He will extend himself again a year from now. Why? Because what actually happened to him 2020-2022 is not being looked at closely enough…

The only way this ends well is if the board breaks from him and forces an orderly set transition…with an outside search. Because it’s also what’s best for business.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
…which is why Peltz shouldn’t be anywhere near the board
Which is what many of us have been saying for a long time now. This is why voting against him is important. I know you have your reason, but a Withhold vote isn't going to accomplish what you think it is. And it may end up getting Peltz what he wants, we shall see.

I don’t know…mother nature and Father Time are an undefeated tag team
Combo

And we all must prepare ourselves Peltz will claim victory no matter how bad he loses

And in a spin machine…he’ll be able to make that case
Iger isn't likely dying tomorrow, but he for sure isn't staying another 10 years either. I'd put money on that.

And for sure Peltz is claiming victory any way this shakes out, this is what happens in these situations. But as I've mentioned I don't think he is slinking back into the darkness either, he'll stick around and continue to be a thorn trying to exhort his will on the board from the outside.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Which is what many of us have been saying for a long time now. This is why voting against him is important. I know you have your reason, but a Withhold vote isn't going to accomplish what you think it is. And it may end up getting Peltz what he wants, we shall see.
I didn’t say I wouldn’t vote for any of the Board (holding my nose)…I said I would never with my cold dead hands vote for Iger, dull Jay or Nelly…

And let’s face it…I’m on the fourth dimension withholding the votes anyway. Most fools (as evidenced in recent days) couldn’t be bothered to remember or research what happened in Roy’s proxy war anyway…and are now making hair on fire proclamations of “we have to support Bob! Nelly will cancel Tiana’s bayou adventure! 😱” without even knowing the history. Peltz is trouble but his block isn’t big enough. If someone huge funds back him? Yikes…then we’re all wrong here and last one our shut the lights off.

Iger isn't likely dying tomorrow, but he for sure isn't staying another 10 years either. I'd put money on that.

And for sure Peltz is claiming victory any way this shakes out, this is what happens in these situations. But as I've mentioned I don't think he is slinking back into the darkness either, he'll stick around and continue to be a thorn trying to exhort his will on the board from the outside.
The takeaways from the chapek affair do not paint a positive vibe for this stance

I’d sign up now if he actually left when his contract ends. But there is zero trust in that. He gave himself 4 inside of 6 months…which on top of having Sue Arnold disappear with the backstory…looks and smells like what in actually was

🐂💩

Casper Gutman

He’s not getting a seat…and time is not really on his side

This too shall pass…but we will be the ones scratching our heads. They don’t fret this in Sun valley

And for the 4,005th time: I do not vote for Peltz with my chunk…and it’s a chunk

Try to keep up
Cool! And if he gets his seats, you will have helped. Sure hope that doesn't happen!
The only way this ends well is if the board breaks from him and forces an orderly set transition…with an outside search. Because it’s also what’s best for business.
You will utterly hate any successor that an "outside search" turns up. Because the problem isn't just Iger, as you want to believe. It's a far broader set of forces and beliefs.

But then, I'm pretty sure you enjoy being angry at Disney more than you enjoy enjoying Disney, so that'll probably work out fine.

Casper Gutman

I'd really like to know why directly relevant major articles from highly reputable industry news sources are being scrubbed from this thread. This is confirmed information about major new developments regarding the topic of this thread, a topic that also happens to be monumentally important to the entire future of the Disney corporation. Censoring that information distorts the entire discussion and ensures an incomplete picture of the issue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney statements:

1711416913291.png

1711416961317.png

TalkingHead

Grouping Captain Marvel and The Marvels box office is hilarious. Wild, actually.

Next they’ll give the Disney box office total for the last 20 years as proof that everything’s good in Fantasyland.

Casper Gutman

This article in particular contains information that has not been shared or discussed here regarding Blackwell's (the third combatant in this drama) reaction to Peltz as well as their interesting assessment of his past performance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You will utterly hate any successor that an "outside search" turns up. Because the problem isn't just Iger, as you want to believe. It's a far broader set of forces and beliefs.

But then, I'm pretty sure you enjoy being angry at Disney more than you enjoy enjoying Disney, so that'll probably work out fine.
And it doesn’t matter. Because when it’s time for someone new…it’s time. You have to roll the dice of life at crossroads

And let’s just end the next quip: chapek was not a “successor”…he was the only twit with no dignity to hang around and was just “there” when Iger ran.

And you know who also was in a similar position once? Take a wild guess.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This article in particular contains information that has not been shared or discussed here regarding Blackwell's (the third combatant in this drama) reaction to Peltz as well as their interesting assessment of his past performance.

What?!
The third group of screwballs are jumping on the “appalled” train?

Couldn’t see that move coming down the tracks 🚂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

View attachment 774767
View attachment 774769

View attachment 774771

View attachment 774773

View attachment 774775

View attachment 774777

Do you ever not post internal PR? That’s gotta be some type of thing on the high functioning scale…

Now do me a favor and post a glowing review from the Hollywood reporter of the last Jedi?…for old times sake 😎

Last edited:

WoundedDreamer

And let’s just end the next quip: chapek was not a “successor”…he was the only twit with no dignity to hang around and was just “there” when Iger ran.
I think you're right on this. This is my interpretation on how the "succession" was "supposed" to go down...

Being CEO of The Walt Disney Company has many advantages. People in Hollywood, sports, news, etc. all seek you out. Additionally, CEO's of The Walt Disney Company have an impressive opportunity to grow "cults of personality" around themselves. Michael Eisner did this. And Robert Iger also did this. Even fans with a tangential knowledge of the CEO know them and often express adoration. Moreover, being the CEO of The Walt Disney Company is just cool. You get to develop incredible theme park attractions, green light movies and scripts, and work with interesting people every day. It's a sweet gig, that includes a shower in the office!

But being CEO of The Walt Disney Company comes with its fair share of downsides. For one, it's incredibly labor intensive. You need to be on the move and make split-second decisions. You also have to prepare for and attend shareholder meetings and earnings calls. If you say the wrong thing, you can cause the share price to spiral. You also have to handle more mundane operational challenges and negotiations that might not be very stimulating. But like any job, you have to take the bad with the good.

Or do you?

Sometime in 2018 or 2019, Iger came up with a brilliant plan. In fact, it might have popped into his head years earlier, but for sure it crystalized in 2018 or 2019. Iger believed he could keep the benefits of being CEO while jettisoning the disadvantages. How? Simple, he would become the company's new Executive Chairman. As Executive Chairman, Iger would have control of the part of the business he loves. He would be able to hire creatives, greenlight projects, hang out at star-studded parties, and give feedback on Disney Parks rides. All the day to day minutia of being CEO would be out of his purview.

But there was just one thing he needed... A CEO candidate.

Iger needed someone to fill the CEO position who had shown a lack of interest in creative matters. He needed someone who had spent his life working diligently and competently in the shadows. Someone who would not create a new "cult of personality" surrounding himself. Why? Because they were both uninterested and just not charismatic enough to create one. Iger would still be the star and leader of the relationship. What he needed was a "little Bob" to take over the boring parts of being a CEO.

And Iger found his man in Bob Chapek.

Chapek seemed like the perfect choice. He would never upstage Iger. He had shown ambition in his life, but not enough to be threatening to Iger. Anyone who saw the two executives together knew who was the leader. It was perfect. Or so Iger thought...

Most individuals at Team Disney in Burbank worship the ground Iger walks on. His effectiveness at creating a cult of personalty at HQ was incredible. That's how you get lines like "Iger is the best thing to happen creatively to The Walt Disney Company since the days of Walt Disney" and Iger being a "creative North Star." He has a lock on most people in Burbank. Iger became used to this quasi-deification. In a way, he began to take it for granted. That made him blind to Chapek's ambitions.

Chapek's tenure at The Walt Disney Company can be characterized by patience. He slowly ascended the corporate ladder over a period of decades. While he seemed to be amongst the most loyal foot soldiers, he actually was an incredibly ambitious individual in his own right. What Iger perceived as weakness and malleability, was actually Chapek's disciplined patience. This is in no way an attempt to lionize the man who brought us such awful attractions as Pixar Pier. Instead, it is to give proper credit where credit is due. Chapek was not simply automaton that Iger could order around at will. Instead, he wanted control of the firm.

Iger's brilliant plan to eject the boring responsibilities of managing the company onto a hapless lackey, suddenly were thrown into chaos. Iger had been planning to stay on as Executive Chairman for at least two years. Personally, I suspect that he would have happily extended the contract over and over again. Why not? He had all the fun perks of the job and was being paid handsomely. But almost immediately, Chapek began to clash with Iger. Instead of happily receiving Iger's advice and directives, Chapek was interested in wresting away power from Iger's diminishing area of responsibility.

Iger suddenly found himself increasingly isolated, disrespected, and powerless. To make matters worse, he also started to lose the influence he so loves in Hollywood. People stopped meeting with him as frequently. It turns out that in order to have the perks of the CEO job, Iger needed to actually be the CEO after all.

At some point, he began to orchestrate a coup against Chapek with disgruntled executives at Disney. The executives would take their issues directly to the board, thus circumventing Chapek. The rudderless and hapless board panicked, and took the advice of the renegade executives. Iger would be back at work in a matter of a few days.

Will he leave this time? He has described the last few years as being some of the most difficult in his career. He might be legitimately burning out. But I think it's wise to question the 2026 date. Who knows? Maybe Iger will find the right CEO for him to "manage" as Executive Chairman this time...

WoundedDreamer

Problem is that I don't think Peltz is going away if he loses. He'll try the end around by trying to gain favor from the outside.

You can believe it all you want, and keep repeating it endlessly, but Iger is not staying forever.
This is something I've thought about. Does Peltz try again if he loses? There are a few important things that would make Peltz more or less likely to try again...

1) Disney's 2024 Movies Grosses- Disney's 2024 box office grosses really matter this year. After the catastrophe that was 2023, investors will be watching for how 2024 performs. There's some movies that give optimism in the pipeline for 2024 box office. Moana 2, the repulsive primate film sequel, and Deadpool 3 should all perform well. We could see Disney make a handsome profit this year at the box office. That would keep critics at bay, and change sentiments surrounding the firm's creative engine. But if the films do not perform well, then Iger would be more open to questions surrounding his turnaround.

2) Progress on a successor- If Iger named a well-respected successor sometime later this year, it might dissuade further challengers. We'll have to see on that one...

3) The voting margin- If Peltz gets blown out of the water, then we'll see him just fade away. I think that's now unlikely thanks to ISS. Other important voting blocks, including the vast Murdoch family holdings, remain undeclared. There's a good possibility Peltz can get into the 40%+ range.

4) Disney's share price- An important deal breaker. If the share price breaks higher, then Peltz's case would be weakened.

5) Sports streaming service- I remain very very concerned about the regulatory hurdles surrounding this sports streaming service. This could easily run afoul of the government. But we shall see. If it actually launches as advertised, on time, and gets off to a good start then Iger will have something exciting to point to.

6) Participation of other interested parties- Depending on how close it is, wealthy individuals or firms could buy up shares to close the gap next time around.

I think ISS crushed Iger's dream of a catastrophic defeat for Peltz. Many large firms literally have ISS cast their votes for them. There's no way to really come between ISS and Peltz at this point. It's going to be fascinating where other parties land. So much at stake!

Vegas Disney Fan

This is something I've thought about. Does Peltz try again if he loses? There are a few important things that would make Peltz more or less likely to try again...

1) Disney's 2024 Movies Grosses- Disney's 2024 box office grosses really matter this year. After the catastrophe that was 2023, investors will be watching for how 2024 performs. There's some movies that give optimism in the pipeline for 2024 box office. Moana 2, the repulsive primate film sequel, and Deadpool 3 should all perform well. We could see Disney make a handsome profit this year at the box office. That would keep critics at bay, and change sentiments surrounding the firm's creative engine. But if the films do not perform well, then Iger would be more open to questions surrounding his turnaround.

2) Progress on a successor- If Iger named a well-respected successor sometime later this year, it might dissuade further challengers. We'll have to see on that one...

3) The voting margin- If Peltz gets blown out of the water, then we'll see him just fade away. I think that's now unlikely thanks to ISS. Other important voting blocks, including the vast Murdoch family holdings, remain undeclared. There's a good possibility Peltz can get into the 40%+ range.

4) Disney's share price- An important deal breaker. If the share price breaks higher, then Peltz's case would be weakened.

5) Sports streaming service- I remain very very concerned about the regulatory hurdles surrounding this sports streaming service. This could easily run afoul of the government. But we shall see. If it actually launches as advertised, on time, and gets off to a good start then Iger will have something exciting to point to.

6) Participation of other interested parties- Depending on how close it is, wealthy individuals or firms could buy up shares to close the gap next time around.

I think ISS crushed Iger's dream of a catastrophic defeat for Peltz. Many large firms literally have ISS cast their votes for them. There's no way to really come between ISS and Peltz at this point. It's going to be fascinating where other parties land. So much at stake!
I think he’ll cash out, the proxy fight has done exactly what he wanted, influenced Disney to bring back the dividend and make other changes that have improved the stocks price, the stock price up about 33% from the start of this proxy fight, I think he’ll take his winnings and walk away.

One thing with rich people, even when they lose they usually win.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Or, as I think will happen, he'll continue on in the background making public statements every now and then saying he accomplished his goals just to show he is still around. Basically sort of what happened last year, he didn't go away he was just held off at bay for awhile. All while still trying to sway favor with various board members to get his agenda pushed behind the scenes. But I don't think he'll try to make a run for a board seat again unless he can somehow be assured victory, like after Iger leaves and different board members are starting to be brought in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom