News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
One of the problems with their movies is they have alienated their once loyal fan base. I went to the theater with my grand kids to watch the movie "Wish". Not bad, not great like say Tangle, but was a solid movie. Yet the box office was extremely disappointing. Not offering any commentary on why, just stating the facts.
Some of that I think started when they began focusing more on statements than entertainment. They tarnished their brand to some and it usually takes awhile to come back from that. Sadly they are good at creating their own problems in so many things they do now.

Disstevefan1

I fear if drastic changes aren't made we are going to end up with Peltz. That is my concern.
There will be no drastic changes as Iger sincerely believes he is doing everything right.

Even if Peltz gets a seat the board is full of “Iger lovers” so things will continue to run the same way.

Look on the bright side, there are many people, many on these boards that also sincerely believe TWDC is fine as is and should continue business as usual.

Personally I am really just a WDW fan and I want the parks to improve.

I have resigned myself, Iger’s business as usual will NOT help WDW.

_caleb

yeah I don’t think you understand what I’m saying. Did you ever think that maybe part of the reason they haven’t greenlit big expansion projects in the parks yet and have teased us with just drawings for 2 years now is because other parts of the company are bleeding and at the end of the day it comes down to money?
That's an example of the overly-simplistic and history-ignoring perspective I'm talking about. TWDC is pretty dynamic: sometimes the studios make money and carry the parks, sometimes the parks rake in money and carry the studios. Sometimes, all departments have to buckle down as Disney invests in new business (DCL, D+).

But it's not like this is the only time the Company hasn't had a major new expansion in the works. There have been periods of stagnation and periods of expansion. Epcot is being remade as we speak. I know some here hate it (some here seem to hate everything), but the park is not left rotting (as it was in the past).

Sometimes, I think that because folks around here visit the parks all the time and pay close attention to every bit of news and speculation it affects how we perceive things. Nothing is as good as it used to be. They're not building new stuff fast enough. Everything takes too long to build. Uni has this cool new thing and Disney can't compete. Disney doesn't know what they're doing. Disney+ is a disaster. WDI forgot how to design themed attractions. The Studios are inept. The tech department are imbeciles. Customer service sucks. Nobody wants to work, kids these days are entitled, it's all political.

I don't know. Maybe something about paying such close attention can ruin one's enjoyment of Disney. For so many it's become fun to be cynical and negative about everything Disney does and they start to root against the Company they once enjoyed. They blame everything on Bob Iger or Bob Chapek or Josh D'Amaro. They doomscroll Disney's box office returns, stock prices, and news about the parks. They subscribe to (and invent) conspiracy theories about why everything is as bad as they perceive it to be.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
That's an example of the overly-simplistic and history-ignoring perspective I'm talking about. TWDC is pretty dynamic: sometimes the studios make money and carry the parks, sometimes the parks rake in money and carry the studios. Sometimes, all departments have to buckle down as Disney invests in new business (DCL, D+).

But it's not like this is the only time the Company hasn't had a major new expansion in the works. There have been periods of stagnation and periods of expansion. Epcot is being remade as we speak. I know some here hate it (some here seem to hate everything), but the park is not left rotting (as it was in the past).

Sometimes, I think that because folks around here visit the parks all the time and pay close attention to every bit of news and speculation it affects how we perceive things. Nothing is as good as it used to be. They're not building new stuff fast enough. Everything takes too long to build. Uni has this cool new thing and Disney can't compete. Disney doesn't know what they're doing. Disney+ is a disaster. WDI forgot how to design themed attractions. The Studios are inept. The tech department are imbeciles. Customer service sucks. Nobody wants to work, kids these days are entitled, it's all political.

I don't know. Maybe something about paying such close attention can ruin one's enjoyment of Disney. For so many it's become fun to be cynical and negative about everything Disney does and they start to root against the Company they once enjoyed. They blame everything on Bob Iger or Bob Chapek or Josh D'Amaro. They doomscroll Disney's box office returns, stock prices, and news about the parks. They subscribe to (and invent) conspiracy theories about why everything is as bad as they perceive it to be.
So we shouldn’t as paying customers pay as close attention to all the things that are going the wrong direction?

You’re the type of customer Bob wants more of while he continues to raise prices. Nothing to see here…move along…and keep swiping that card.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who's making excuses for Bob Iger?

I have no idea what you mean about giving me the rope, but I've never seen anyone here claim anything even remotely like "Bob Iger represents the soul of Disney."

I'm not sure how to measure being a "better fan," but if it entails "endless bitter complaining about Bob Iger all day every day," I'm not interested.
Two things:

1. Bob Iger is presented as the “soul of Disney” when we cannot point out his mistakes. And that happens constantly. And it’s not even him…it’s the really sophomoric idea that you a. Cannot criticize Disney and be a fan b. Disney is so awesome it doesn’t make mistakes.

Daily. Truth. This is immaturity on a non-functioning scale.

2. Maybe not “better fans”…but more effective ones. They are in a slide and the customers and shareholders can effect change. It can be done. Even if difficult.

I’ll give you examples:
1. Your movies suck because you aren’t delivering for the audience. Make better ones and I’ll show up THEN.
2. Your park system is in shambles - at least in Orlando - I’ll wait to buy anything until the bottomline shows it. Hell…you don’t have to boycott…just reject the bad to hit them. That how economics works. The good is rewarded…the bad fails.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The reason they only “tease” projects is fairly simple. They don’t intend on building them…and short of that will delay the costs as long as possible.

Why? Saturation of the theme park market for them combined with bleeding a huge amount of the traditiobal revenue for years…particularly cable receipts.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

When was the last time the studios "carried the parks"? Take your time. We'll wait.

The parks decline started when Iger took over. It accelerated when $lappie was installed as P&R head. The two are intertwined. D'ollar loves to make PR appearances and make the fanbois and fangurls swoon. If he's been involved with any improvements in the parks, he sure as hell hasn't said a word about it. "Oh but he's invested billions in the parks!" Throwing money at things, without regard for how that money gets spent, is not a strategy or solution. I'm not against change, but change for change's sake is not something I'll ever get behind. And that seems to be a hallmark of the Iger era as far as the parks go, along with his movie IP mandate.

But their IT department is chock full of imbeciles. ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think it's healthy to post Iger hate posts all day every day, but I guess I'm just not smart enough to connect all the dots and see how badly he's ruined my life or something.
You seem like a bright boy…but this one escapes you

It is never a good idea to support bad product from a company. Any company. It’s what keeps the field level for the consumers and holds hem to account. It spurs new ideas and innovation. Ultimately it’s good for labor.

_caleb

One of the problems with their movies is they have alienated their once loyal fan base. I went to the theater with my grand kids to watch the movie "Wish". Not bad, not great like say Tangle, but was a solid movie. Yet the box office was extremely disappointing. Not offering any commentary on why, just stating the facts.
Sounds like you're saying, "Disney alienated us by doing the thing they used to do that we loved so much. Here's my opinion, just stating facts!"
Some of that I think started when they began focusing more on statements than entertainment. They tarnished their brand to some and it usually takes awhile to come back from that. Sadly they are good at creating their own problems in so many things they do now.
I'm not sure the line between "statements" (whatever you mean by that), and "entertainment" is one that can be clearly drawn. I think many of the audiences who are frustrated and disappointed by Disney are the ones who've changed. It's been a pretty abrupt change at that. What they're really upset by is that the Company didn't change with them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And that’s another pressure point…

I don’t have problem with diversifying the movies and message - it would help if they didn’t make bad movies which they absolutely have - but no ideological opposition

But the customer is always right…which means it’s time to throw it over hard to the left/right

Malfeasance and losing people’s money to double down.

Fix it.

Find a better route

Chi84

Premium Member
So we shouldn’t as paying customers pay as close attention to all the things that are going the wrong direction?

You’re the type of customer Bob wants more of while he continues to raise prices. Nothing to see here…move along…and keep swiping that card.
You’re right. I think Disney would rather have the money of those who happily swipe the card than the money of those who grudgingly swipe the card.

The problem is that there are so many guests with such varied tastes and expectations that happy guests sometimes unhappily swipe the card (usually for Genie+ lol) while unhappy guests sometimes (hopefully) find something worth paying for.

I personally think the entire organization has become more greedy than is good for it in the last several years. That said, our best vacations were fairly recent ones. I’m sure the exact opposite is true for others.

I have no idea where Disney’s headed except to say it’s not “going back to the way it was.” In my experience, that never happens.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’re right. I think Disney would rather have the money of those who happily swipe the card than the money of those who grudgingly swipe the card.

The problem is that there are so many guests with such varied tastes and expectations that happy guests sometimes unhappily swipe the card (usually for Genie+ lol) while unhappy guests sometimes (hopefully) find something worth paying for.

I personally think the entire organization has become more greedy than is good for it in the last several years. That said, our best vacations were fairly recent ones. I’m sure the exact opposite is true for others.

I have no idea where Disney’s headed except to say it’s not “going back to the way it was.” In my experience, that never happens.
Fair points…

The problem is we know that audience bleed has begun in one of their key segments - parks - and that one other key segment - broadcast/cable - is organically dying

The one everyone assumes will make bank this year (with nothing to support the stance)…streaming…is far from given.

That’s why their stock slowly sinks.
It has nothing to do with if the fans believe…the street continually is saying that they don’t believe. Accountants and fund managers armed with computers tend to be pretty smart…if terminally greedy.

Jrb1979

Sounds like you're saying, "Disney alienated us by doing the thing they used to do that we loved so much. Here's my opinion, just stating facts!"

I'm not sure the line between "statements" (whatever you mean by that), and "entertainment" is one that can be clearly drawn. I think many of the audiences who are frustrated and disappointed by Disney are the ones who've changed. It's been a pretty abrupt change at that. What they're really upset by is that the Company didn't change with them.
That is me and my family. What we liked about Disney and more so the parks was what they were and not what they've become. Our favorite park was the original Epcot with Horizons, World of Motion and Maelstrom. We loved the immersive dark rides that told stories. Rides like Snow White and Mr. Toad were far better than the over hyped Rise of the Resistance and Guardians. It feels like they see the thrills that Universal does and want to do the same. The problem is they dumb them down to not be so intense.

As far the movies go, nothing lately they have put out have been that great. Last movie on D+ we watched was the Beatles movie. Since than nothing has drawn interest for us. IMO the company needs to go back to what they used to be. That goes for both the studios and the parks.

_caleb

You can pay close attention to whatever you like! All fans approach things differently. I love to pay VERY close attention to things (I'm a big geek like that). But if you're only paying close attention to the negative (or can't find anything positive to pay attention to), I'd say it might be time to change some things.
Why would you feel the need to disparage me here? I already said that I go to the parks less as prices go up. I'm not some brainwashed fan, mindlessly giving Disney my money. I see both the good and the bad, and sometimes the bad outweighs the good. I just don't understand folks who can't find any good and seem to delight in pointing out the bad (over and over).

Jrb1979

You can pay close attention to whatever you like! All fans approach things differently. I love to pay VERY close attention to things (I'm a big geek like that). But if you're only paying close attention to the negative (or can't find anything positive to pay attention to), I'd say it might be time to change some things.

Why would you feel the need to disparage me here? I already said that I go to the parks less as prices go up. I'm not some brainwashed fan, mindlessly giving Disney my money. I see both the good and the bad, and sometimes the bad outweighs the good. I just don't understand folks who can't find any good and seem to delight in pointing out the bad (over and over).
For my family I'm sure if we ever do go back we would have fun. We do that on all vacations we take. The problem is the changes Disney has made recently has made it hard to get to the point where we will book something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom