News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Trauma

That's sometimes called insider trading for the ones who do not get caught.
I know this is personal info but I would like to make an assumption about you.

I’m going to guess that you have zero debt.

Would you say that’s accurate ?

I only ask because I always like to know what the influence was.

Was it someone like Ramsey or maybe you read the Millionaire Next Door.

I know you didn’t learn it in school, so it’s fun to find out how you educated yourself.

SpectreJordan

That part of the problem. Talking. And what little we know of it, it seems to have been greatly dialed back from the original plans.

They don’t seem to have this paralysis when it comes to DVC, cruise ships, or residential living experiences. Why is that?
They must somehow make more money from that crap... or atleast think they will.

Stripes

Premium Member
Since you are a good cherry picker you forget to mention that Netflix dominated the top 30 on this list. When you have almost nothing worth watching on your streaming service it would make sense that the viewership numbers are more concentrated.
Netflix sinks a ton of their content spending into originals because they don’t have a studio. They also flood their streaming service with cheap hot garbage, and customers are paying attention. Netflix customer satisfaction has tanked by 16% in the past 2 years and Netflix customer satisfaction is now 10% below Hulu and 8% below Disney+. I think Disney dominating in the top 10 originals is more telling than Netflix holding 8 the next 20, especially considering that Netflix has over 3,000 originals making up 55% of their content library.

Tha Realest

This is never going to happen. Even if a CEO "understood" the parks in the same way you think that means, the actions taken toward the parks and the company has a whole are dictated by hundreds, if not thousands of people all trying to achieve bigger overarching goals (like returning shareholder value).

Case in point: one time the company announced they were going to spend 60 billion dollars on parks,* and the fans kept asking that the CEO get replaced. Really weird.
* Includes international parks, cruises, and resorts/DVC, and when you factor in inflation and capex, is not that much of an improvement as that top line number suggests

Lilofan

I know this is personal info but I would like to make an assumption about you.

I’m going to guess that you have zero debt.

Would you say that’s accurate ?

I only ask because I always like to know what the influence was.

Was it someone like Ramsey or maybe you read the Millionaire Next Door.

I know you didn’t learn it in school, so it’s fun to find out how you educated yourself.
I don't discuss personal but I moved up the food chain by taking risks, living below my means / cut out and dont't follow the noise and having good mentors that taught me from a very young age on dollar cost averaging/ compounding interest/ long term . Yes the MND book is like a bible.

Trauma

Netflix sinks a ton of their content spending into originals because they don’t have a studio. They also flood their streaming service with cheap hot garbage, and customers are paying attention. Netflix customer satisfaction has tanked by 16% in the past 2 years and Netflix customer satisfaction is now 10% below Hulu and 8% below Disney+. I think Disney dominating in the top 10 originals is more telling than Netflix holding 8 the next 20, especially considering that Netflix has over 3,000 originals making up 55% of their content library.
The two services are at different price points.

Let raise the price of Disney + to the price of Netflix and then survey satisfaction.

Tha Realest

What's wrong with that? Is this some kind of "I don't care if it helps the company as a whole, I only care about things that personally benefit me" line of thinking?
Well, this is a WDW site and forum, and “parks” relative to that spending encompasses far more than WDW. Recent history shows they prioritize spending elsewhere in the Parks division ahead of theme parks. There are more DVC and cruise line projects under actual construction than domestic theme park attractions.

Stripes

Premium Member

Let raise the price of Disney + to the price of Netflix and then survey satisfaction.
So you’re saying that Netflix is charging too much for their service?

The Disney+ and Hulu bundle with no ads is $20/month.

Trauma

I don't discuss personal but I moved up the food chain by taking risks, living below my means / cut out and dont't follow the noise and having good mentors that taught me from a very young age on dollar cost averaging/ compounding interest/ long term . Yes the MND book is like a bible.
Yeah man I only ask because we share similar paths and it makes me happy to meet other success stories.

It’s important to pass down what you have learned to the kids.

Our education system teaches next to nothing so it’s up to us to guide them.

Kamikaze

Disney partners with construction and subcontractors and manufacturers for all of the projects they build, whether they’re parks or cruise lines or DVC. It’s really not that difficult, unless you really think the contributions of someone like Wing Chao is insignificant as compared to Fincantieri Marghera.

Tell me again where in DHS, DAK, or DCA we can see some tangible, shovels in ground, projects being spearheaded by WDI.
Change your point midstream?

You are saying Disney is building the Storyliving communities. That is not accurate.

Trauma

So you’re saying that Netflix is charging too much for their service?

The Disney+ and Hulu bundle with no ads is $20/month.
No Disneys margins are to low.

They are going to have to increase prices further.

What’s the endgame here?

At some point most consumers will have to choose a streaming service and forgo the others.

My money is that choice won’t be D+.

Lilofan

Yeah man I only ask because we share similar paths and it makes me happy to meet other success stories.

It’s important to pass down what you have learned to the kids.

Our education system teaches next to nothing so it’s up to us to guide them.
No surprise Iger rose to the top without a Masters degree and started as a production assistant at ABC earning $150 per week fresh out of Ithaca College. What I applied to my jobs in my life from 4 years of
learning and earning my Bachelors - absolutely nothing.

Stripes

Premium Member
No Disneys margins are to low.

They are going to have to increase prices further.

What’s the endgame here?

At some point most consumers will have to choose a streaming service and forgo the others.

My money is that choice won’t be D+.
My money is that Disney+, Hulu, Max, and Netflix will be the big players. Other players like Apple TV+ and Prime will stick around. Paramount+ and Peacock will close down or morph into something else.

I’m a subscriber to all of them although I’ve been getting Paramount+ for free because their laughable system doesn’t realize I canceled a year ago.

_caleb

Disney is aware of this. They're still ramping up toward profitability by adding more and more content to the platform while raising prices. When they started, they didn't have the content to justify Netflix prices or sustain Netflix-level subscriber retention. As they add content that people want to see (top 10 stuff), they're raising prices accordingly and poised to add additional revenue generating features, like shopping and gaming.

TalkingHead

Are you not familiar with Ted Lasso? It's a massive hit and the "final" season was released this past year.
Apple also has a fraction of Netflix’s and Disney’s subscribers, so I was asking how the rankings were calculated.

e.g., other sources seem to disagree: “Outer Banks, The Night Agent and Ginny & Georgia were the top originals when calculated by weekly viewing minutes.” Nielsen: https://www.nielsen.com/insights/2023/tops-of-2023-tv/

_caleb

Apple also has a fraction of Netflix’s and Disney’s subscribers, so I was asking how the rankings were calculated.

e.g., other sources seem to disagree: “Outer Banks, The Night Agent and Ginny & Georgia were the top originals when calculated by weekly viewing minutes.” Nielsen: https://www.nielsen.com/insights/2023/tops-of-2023-tv/
Apple gained lots of viewers for its platform by being at a lower price point and by giving free trials of AppleTV+ with the purchase of Apple devices/hardware.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom