News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe they’ll put franchises like Star Wars in the hands of directors that want to make the core audience “uncomfortable” or “p—- people off.”

Wouldn’t that be foolish and an example of gross corporate malfeasance?

Wrong thread.

Perfect thread. The gross mismanagement of the creative that was blatantly exposed this year and what needs fixing the most.

Bob has ruined Star Wars…and the others have followed. The buck stops with him in the end.

Sir_Cliff

People aren’t looking at what is really going on here…
Perlmutter and Peltz are 81 each.

Are they interested in “reshaping” Disney? Of course not…this is settling an old score and ousting Iger. And under the circumstances…that may be a great thing. Even if swinging Jay is put in control…the next board will be the ones that have to shift to the next phase. Those two don’t have enough time left in the game.

And I’ll remind: how did Iger end up here?
Roy Disney did the same damn thing…settled a score and then left.

Ultimately…Disney will be sold. The question for fans is do you want them to be operating more as when parks and franchise longevity was king? Or 2023 - which is quite the opposite?

I’ll take my chances
I think this is a bit naïve. They don't just want to settle a score: they also want to make a lot of money.

How do you suppose two 81 year-olds do that? Do you really imagine it will be investing in quality content and thinking longterm about how to build the theme parks and resorts?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He’s significantly better than a Disney run by Rasulo, more-so if he’s beholden to Perlmutter. Neither are committed to strong storytelling. Rasulo had/has open disdain for Disney’s products, especially the parks that he would avoid like the plague.

No one has treated the park guest with more disdain for longer than Bob Iger.
You forget it’s an oligarchy and the P&R head always takes the bullets for the implementation of the CEO’s financial mandates in parks.

Who have we hated? Pressler…Rasulo…staggs…Chapek…now tighties…

Track the common thread. Isn’t it ironic that ALL the parks heads hated the parks and its customers? How can that be?

….hmmmmmm? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think this is a bit naïve. They don't just want to settle a score: they also want to make a lot of money.

How do you suppose two 81 year-olds do that? Do you really imagine it will be investing in quality content and thinking longterm about how to build the theme parks and resorts?

It’s not naive at all…it’s a no BS assessment of bad options and picking the one that looks to have the least longevity to it.

But that’s what we have here…and why?
Unfortunately because my Iger rants dating back 15 years are being proven correct. And I never wanted it to be so.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nor I but that doesn’t mean you go running to someone who is worse. Unless of course you’re not actually interested in storytelling or anything related to the entertainment business.
The overall situation hasn’t changed: Iger still needs to go…

A Proxy war where a compromise is met and someone other than Rasulo is given the job is a better option.

But that doesn’t happen with Iger setting his own terms.

This is really the shareholders fault after jobs…the Disney board should NEVER be controlled by the CEO.

Everyone needs to reread Disney war…that’s what this is about. Again.

Hell…would I put It past Iger to have called Eisner to block the Peltz/perlmutter board move and save his skin? I wouldn’t.

But the laughter on the other end would be worth it alone 😎

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"Coming soon - Inside Out 3!!! Join Ego as we follow its journey from mere weatherman to corporate TV stooge to becoming CEO and ultimately driving a once-creative and massively successful company into the ground, leaving it ripe for corporate raiders!"
Between Disney+, Hulu, and soon the full ESPN service, they‘ll have the best streaming product on the market. Most of my streaming time is spent in Hulu followed closely by Disney+ followed by Max. The decrease in financial metrics is driven by the inevitable decline of the linear networks across the media landscape (which I think happened much faster than Disney or anyone expected) and the amount of cash being poured into Disney+.

Give the stock 2-3 years then let’s see where things stand. As a reminder, Disney is hardly alone in dealing with the disruption of linear networks:
View attachment 761536
View attachment 761534

So go back 10 years, the stock is flat. Bob is out of ideas (not that he ever had any). What kept things afloat? Smoke and mirrors. A string of movies that cashed in on 30 years of pent-up demand that, in hindsight, were atrocious. A once-in-a-generation (if not longer) string of superhero movies that have, for the most part, flamed out spectacularly since Endgame. Continual price hikes in the parks and resorts for the same hotels, rides, and attractions, except for what they rip out and replace with inferior experiences. When they aren't down, of course, which seems to be happening with increased frequency in recent years.

Bob Iger is and has been Disney's own worst enemy since he was foolishly picked to replace Michael Eisner.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Coming soon - Inside Out 3!!! Join Ego as we follow its journey from mere weatherman to corporate TV stooge to becoming CEO and ultimately driving a once-creative and massively successful company into the ground, leaving it ripe for corporate raiders!"

So go back 10 years, the stock is flat. Bob is out of ideas (not that he ever had any). What kept things afloat? Smoke and mirrors. A string of movies that cashed in on 30 years of pent-up demand that, in hindsight, were atrocious. A once-in-a-generation (if not longer) string of superhero movies that have, for the most part, flamed out spectacularly since Endgame. Continual price hikes in the parks and resorts for the same hotels, rides, and attractions, except for what they rip out and replace with inferior experiences. When they aren't down, of course, which seems to be happening with increased frequency in recent years.

Bob Iger is and has been Disney's own worst enemy since he was foolishly picked to replace Michael Eisner.
…speak the gospel, Reverend!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is an amazing statement about a studio that until THIS YEAR had one of the most incredible runs of success in Hollywood history. Almost unprecedented.
And it had one of the most disastrous in 2023…nothing coming for really the next 2…and is waiting on tired sequels to save them.

I think Ronnie Lott was a hell of a player…not looking to sign him today

Casper Gutman

Because of Iger’s theme park policies, I have largely stopped visiting WDW and have shifted to Uni. Iger’s reign hasn’t been good for the parks, and I’ve voted with my wallet.

But…

This absolutely doesn’t mean I’m foolish enough to think this is as bad as it gets. On a scale of 1 to 10, the Orlando parks are at about a 6. Not great, but SO MUCH farther to fall. There is a shocking, largely willful, lack of imagination being demonstrated here. Quite frankly, it’s something we see a lot in modern America - a determination to not realize that things can get massively worse, that real and irreparable damage can be done to things we assumed were permanent.

Casper Gutman

You couldn’t be more wrong about that.

For me and nearly all the wheelhouse fans.

Anything good will be met with overwhelming praise and acceptance.
We are just missing one ingredient.

Don’t lecture me like I’m 11…it looks foolish.
You just got Andor, the best Star Wars since Empire, a series with more artistry and character depth and thematic resonance than anything else in the entire franchise, and it’s barely registered with you. Because you’re an adult who is mad Star Wars can’t reverse time and turn you into a child again.

pdude81

If making money was the object I believe Perlmutter would have been selling off DIS stock for the past ten years and looking for better returns elsewhere. Plus Peltz buying more shares near a multiyear low price just means he's less likely to lose money when all is said and done. It's a power play with little financial downside to them, as opposed to one that is likely to make money.

If anything, the distraction just makes Iger and the board spend more time worried about their enemies than trying to solve crucial problems. At least this power play has the effect of reminding Bob how he got the job in the first place, and that he has precious little time left to repair his "legacy".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom