News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

el_super

Because of Iger’s theme park policies, I have largely stopped visiting WDW and have shifted to Uni.

I could say the same thing, but from my perspective, I've stopped visiting the parks because they've become too crowded and too popular. It's hard to argue that isn't what Disney/Iger wants though.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think the odds of Iger making it to the end of this latest contract extension have become a bit higher. Like, 3:2 a month or two ago and now it's looking like more of a 50:1 bet. Hell, he may not make it to the end of 2024 the way things are going right now.

Stripes

Premium Member
Yes definitely before 2023 Iger’s Disney was beloved for its live-action remakes and animation sequels and disposable SW content. Unprecedented, but not in the way you think.
The studio had quite a few popular and successful original films during Iger’s tenure. Furthermore, the studios will feed audiences what they want. Looking at box office figures, audiences want studios to further develop their favorite stories more than new stories.

Casper Gutman

Honestly, it's the same anger any time Disney wants to redo a ride or change a water fountain in the parks. It changes something they remember from childhood and Iger is ruining their childhood.
My personal bias is at play here, but I’d say it’s a bit different - old films still exist. Rides that are replaced or removed don’t. No matter how often Zach Snyder or his ilk produce awful remakes of Seven Samurai, I can still watch Kurosawa’s.

Stripes

Premium Member
So go back 10 years, the stock is flat.
That’s still a heck of a lot better than their competitors with high exposure to linear networks.
A string of movies that cashed in on 30 years of pent-up demand that, in hindsight, were atrocious. A once-in-a-generation (if not longer) string of superhero movies that have, for the most part, flamed out spectacularly since Endgame.
I think you are really underselling the studios’ turnaround since the early 2000’s.
Continual price hikes in the parks and resorts for the same hotels, rides, and attractions, except for what they rip out and replace with inferior experiences. When they aren't down, of course, which seems to be happening with increased frequency in recent years.
My family went to Disneyland in 2007. We had a terrible time and realized it was offering nothing new. We didn’t go back to any Disney park until 2015. Since then, we’ve gone almost every year. Each time, we‘ve loved our vacation.
Bob Iger is and has been Disney's own worst enemy since he was foolishly picked to replace Michael Eisner.
Bob Iger > Michael Eisner without Frank Wells

el_super

I think the odds of Iger making it to the end of this latest contract extension have become a bit higher.

Iger isn't going anywhere unless there is some major shift in the current status quo. Either the parks revenue falls off a cliff in the next couple quarters, or they come back and say that D+ isn't going to hit profitability this year. If D+ is still on target to hit profitability, Iger is more than safe.

He still needs to pick a replacement though.

lazyboy97o

Yes definitely before 2023 Iger’s Disney was beloved for its live-action remakes and animation sequels and disposable SW content. Unprecedented, but not in the way you think.
When people are bellyaching about box office performance then Iger’s overall tenure really is unprecedented. He oversaw an incredible run of box office domination. I can go dig up posts from years ago about my concerns with the home run franchise model but the fact is that while the engine was running hot it was raking in the cash. Recognizing the financial success isn’t an endorsement of the creative direction. People are deliberately trying to conflate the two and they’re not synonymous.

Trauma

Sometimes I wish the people cheering on the pirates could get Peltz’s Disney while everyone else keeps the current one, but then I realize that would be cruel.
Iger is a cancer that must be removed.

Driving revenues through accusations while letting the core business rot.

Nothing suggests Iger is qualified to turn this around.

I wouldn’t even let him run a local hotdog stand.

He would just start buying all the other hotdog stands while using cheaper ingredients and raising prices. Eventually it blows up in your face.

Iger loves and cares for Disney so much that he left it in its darkest hour in recent history.

He is not a leader he is a fraud.

When this company is broken up and sold off of in pieces it will because of the actions of Bob Iger.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You just got Andor, the best Star Wars since Empire, a series with more artistry and character depth and thematic resonance than anything else in the entire franchise, and it’s barely registered with you. Because you’re an adult who is mad Star Wars can’t reverse time and turn you into a child again.

Andor doesn’t get viewers…neither did Ahsoka…

I don’t think either were bad…but it’s not meeting the audience.

6, 10 episode shows are not Star Wars. I don’t blame them for trying…but it belongs primarily on the screen. They’re backwards…movies first…shows after. It’s not Star Trek.

What little good content they’re making is just onboard it fading from what made it huge…a movie franchise for generations growing up without heroes.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That’s still a heck of a lot better than their competitors with high exposure to linear networks.

I think you are really underselling the studios’ turnaround since the early 2000’s.

My family went to Disneyland in 2007. We had a terrible time and realized it was offering nothing new. We didn’t go back to any Disney park until 2015. Since then, we’ve gone almost every year. Each time, we‘ve loved our vacation.

Bob Iger > Michael Eisner without Frank Wells
I'm truly happy you enjoyed your recent vacations, but thank you for the laugh.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except you posted the same thing in the thread that's more germane.

This is now, in part thanks to you, another interminable debate about Star Wars. Check the thread title.
This thread is about management problems and the business fallout.

Your protestations seems more like an old chart failure than claiming the subject isn’t under this umbrella

MerlinTheGoat

When this company is broken up and sold off of in pieces it will because of the actions of Bob Iger.
That is literally what Peltz and Rasulo want to do. I've been calling for Iger's removal for most of his tenure, but even I have standards for a replacement. If said replacement is beholden to Peltz, then unfortunately Iger is objectively the lesser evil by a good margin. When a better successor than Iger is brought forth, then and only then is this demand to replace him ASAP constructive.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is literally what Peltz and Rasulo want to do. I've been calling for Iger's removal for most of his tenure, but even I have standards for a replacement. If said replacement is beholden to Peltz, then unfortunately Iger is objectively the lesser evil by a good margin. When a better successor than Iger is brought forth, then and only then is this demand to replace him ASAP constructive.
There’s a stronger by the day chance that happens no matter who’s in control.

Disney has lost its foothold as a standalone due to changes in consumer habits and bad management…they may not be able to regain it

And Iger has ZERO intention of leaving…less now than ever…so there will be no other candidates brought forward. He may have to be ousted and an interim put there so a legitimate search can be made

Last edited:

britain

Wall Street doesn’t care about not digging new wells until the old wells have dried up. Now that the old wells have appeared to dry up, they want profitable results anyway they can take them.

That might mean things we as the fan community REALLY dislike. If that means shutting down BOTH animation studios, then that’s what they’ll do. If that means putting gambling on the cruise lines, then that’s what they’ll do. If they…

I’m trying to think about what awful thing they could do to the parks… and they’re already doing it. 🤣 I mean, I guess they could go full Six Flags and just blast Top 40 music all over the place, but I don’t think that would make them any more money.

UNCgolf

Much stronger case for Iger to be ousted then retained.

This isn't the argument, though -- that's a separate discussion.

I don't think anyone in this thread has suggested they think Iger should stay full-stop; they're simply saying he's preferable to Jay Rasulo, Ike Perlmutter, and Nelson Peltz.

Most people would be happy to show Iger the door in favor of a decent candidate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom