News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Wow. They pulled out a huge can of BS polish for this article.
Usually THR does this kind of a gang lands style hit

Chapek wasn’t around long enough to do anything…a couple of snafus…but nothing is happening not approved by Iger

Shut it, bob

Disney Analyst

I think it has to do with the rights being tied up with licensing agreements. But lots of ABC content is available (Dancing with the Stars, Blackish, etc.) on D+, most of it on Hulu (due to Disney's previous strategy of keeping D+ more Disnified).

Disney posts a lot of ABC content to YouTube, too, which generates ad money. I imagine all of this will change as they sort out how best to incorporate live programming and different tiles/"channels" into the platform. I suspect those decisions will be driven by user data and to cater to audience subsets.

For sure, I imagine there are plenty of licensing deals and rights that don't allow for this, but it feels like the right move eventually.

pdude81

Tho... "Live TV" subs are in danger. They provide live airing of linear channels. But if linear channels go extinct, there will be nothing "Live" to stream.

The exception would be sports, and Disney will be making the ESPN Cable channel into a concurrent streamer in 2025.
This is true, but the content creators and owners will need to have a landing place other than cable for years as the old model dies off completely. The Slings and Fubos of the world I assume will be the first to go since they don't have a large content generation apparatus of their own to drive value. Disney+Hulu and YouTube TV look to be the best positioned to eat up that transition in the meantime, and for now there is a lot of money to be made still on HGTV, Hallmark, cable news, etc. And a few of the studios with lower subscription numbers will eventually have to give up on their content delivery platforms and sell off to those that remain.

From checking out most of the "live" cable alternatives, their interfaces all kind of stink. The only one I haven't tried yet, ironically, is Hulu live. And that's because I don't want to give up my legacy D+ bundle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah I agree it doesn't account for it. Like I said, this is the worst year when ratioing their revenues to number of releases since 2015. And that is not accounting for inflation, nor does it factor in what the movies released are (i.e. number of high budget releases vs small releases), so it could drop a lot further. But I'm not sold it's brand tarnished as much as I think in their haste to do D+ they have completely sacrificed their box office (well, long term tarnished, as in, I think it can come back). If they want their box office back, I think they need to take giant hits now and make people believe that if they don't hit the theaters, they won't be seeing these for "Free" for 9 months or even a year. It won't solve all their issues with say Marvel, but I think that's something they strongly need to consider if they ever want that box office back.

So you’re blaming chapek then?

Maybe

But I’ve seen most of these movies…they’re bad…almost all of them

2022 too

They are just running out branded garbage…nobody ever leaves the theater pumping a fist of heading to the store

That’s not Disney

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The other option is licensing out their schlock content to Netflix, Apple, Amazon for big $$. It’s clear Disney can’t create and stream profitability, but that means Bobs ego takes a hit by admitting failure.
I heard Disney's asking price for Indy 5 streaming and broadcast rights was $2 billion but no one bothered to counter, they were all laughing too hard.

celluloid

Show me how demand is down? Top streamers gained subscriptions in the past year. Traditional cable is down subscribers.
It's demand as a service value has diminished.
It has consistently lowered the price every year to gain those subscribers.

Both for the bundles and individual pricing.

This is why I stated the demand was down, not subscribers.

Last edited:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
That out of the way:
  • Ahsoka appeared in the Top Ten original list for 7 weeks in row for a total of 4 Billion minutes of viewing.
  • Loki 1: 8 Weeks. 5.8B minutes
  • Loki 2: 4 weeks so far (delayed reporting). 2B minutes so far.
  • Andor: 9 weeks. 4.2B minutes
  • Obi-Wan: 4 weeks. 3.2B minutes
  • Boba Fett: 9 weeks. 5B minutes
  • Secret Invasion: 6 weeks. 2.5B
  • Mandolorian S3: 11 weeks. 8.4B minutes
Those are awful numbers for very expensive productions.

Now compare those original series to equivalent ones from Netflix or other PVOD providers.

I can tell you that aside from the last season (half?) of The Witcher and Rings of Power you will find the Disney original series vastly underperformed and outspent the competition.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Disney CEO Bob Iger says he will "definitely" step down as CEO of The Walt Disney Company at the end of his contract in 2026.

Speaking at the New York Times Dealbook Conference, Iger also said that the ABC Broadcast Network is not for sale, appearing to backtrack on previous comments that the idea of a sale was being considered.

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

JD80

It's demand as a service value has diminished.
It has consistently lowered the price every year to gain those subscribers.

Both for the bundles and individual pricing.

This is why I stated the demand was down, not subscribers.

Prices have consistently gone up while subscriber numbers have gone up.

celluloid

Prices have consistently gone up while subscriber numbers have gone up.

This is not true for Hulu. Their incentive deal is lower in price for the consumer than it used to be.

I know, I used to get the 2.99 deal with ads for Black Friday. Now 99 cents a month is still too much for many for the content.

JD80

This is not true for Hulu. Their incentive deal is lower in price for the consumer than it used to be.

I know, I used to get the 2.99 deal with ads for Black Friday. Now 99 cents a month is still too much for many for the content.

Deals and promos change all the time. What are you talking about.

celluloid

Deals and promos change all the time. What are you talking about.

Incentives are offered all the time. But do you know of any incentives that come back and lower more than half unless the demand is already there.

If WDW came out with a ticket or hotel price that is half the price of what the incentive was last year, what would you know?

Subscribers up does not mean the demand is. The difference is if the demand is up, you don't have to offer as much incentive, and you certainly don't offer better ones than before.

You said prices have consistently gone up. Not true.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Incentives are offered all the time. But do you know of any incentives that come back and lower more than half unless the demand is already there.

If WDW came out with a ticket or hotel price that is half the price of what the incentive was last year, what would you know?

Subscribers up does not mean the demand is. The difference is if the demand is up, you don't have to offer as much incentive, and you certainly don't offer better ones than before.

You said prices have consistently gone up. Not true.

In fiscal 2022, DTC revenue was $18 Billion.

In fiscal 2023, DTC revenue was $20 Billion.

The net loss for DTC has gone down every quarter for the past four quarters.

Please stop trying to make the case that somehow Disney's streamers are failing. Not true.

Jrb1979

In fiscal 2022, DTC revenue was $18 Billion.

In fiscal 2023, DTC revenue was $20 Billion.

The net loss for DTC has gone down every quarter for the past four quarters.

Please stop trying to make the case that somehow Disney's streamers are failing. Not true.
It's easy to have higher revenue when you're not filming anything due to a strike

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom