News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

_caleb

Anyone else surprised by Iger's comments today?

"(Our) creatives have lost sight of what their job should be: entertain first, not messages."

Seems like a surprisingly blunt way of saying their DEI mission has not been well received.
This statement alone may be enough to woo back the reactionaries.

Splash4eva

Anyone else surprised by Iger's comments today?

"(Our) creatives have lost sight of what their job should be: entertain first, not messages."

Seems like a surprisingly blunt way of saying their DEI mission has not been well received.
Is anyone shocked this line of thinking was a disaster from the start… maybe just maybe companies will realize what makes money and what people actually wanna see and pay for as opposed to trying to shove some agenda down peoples throats. Look no further than Splash. I bet Iger would loveeeee to change that decision & reverse course there as well.

co10064

Premium Member
Where did you read that he said this?
IMG_1381.jpeg

Alex Sherman, CNBC reporter

Also, here:

and across other various Disney fan sites that I won't link

Tom P.

I think Iger hit the nail on the head. The problem is that they are not producing content that people find entertaining. Everyone has been so busy debating whether or not the content is "woke" that they've overlooked the fact that the content just isn't very good. People will overlook many things about movies and TV shows, including messaging they disagree with, but they will not overlook being bored by it. And all debates about DEI issues aside, I think Disney's real underlying issue is that they're just creatively bankrupt right now. They're just not making good stuff.

_caleb

I think Iger hit the nail on the head. The problem is that they are not producing content that people find entertaining. Everyone has been so busy debating whether or not the content is "woke" that they've overlooked the fact that the content just isn't very good. People will overlook many things about movies and TV shows, including messaging they disagree with, but they will not overlook being bored by it. And all debates about DEI issues aside, I think Disney's real underlying issue is that they're just creatively bankrupt right now. They're just not making good stuff.
What isn't good about it?

_caleb

Is anyone shocked this line of thinking was a disaster from the start… maybe just maybe companies will realize what makes money and what people actually wanna see and pay for as opposed to trying to shove some agenda down peoples throats. Look no further than Splash. I bet Iger would loveeeee to change that decision & reverse course there as well.
What line of thinking?

Joel

To me, it seems like Iger is sort of just acknowledging what everyone knows: that a certain subset of the audience thinks Disney has some big agenda and it's hurting the brand. I don't see how that might indicate that he's changed his thinking on anything.
He could have easily said that if that's what he meant, but he didn't. Unless he was misquoted, or there's extra context that wasn't provided, the statement is pretty clear. There's not much to interpret there.

Cognitive dissonance is painful, or so I hear.

Lirael

Not a surprising statement after the most recent results.

The Marvels and Wish numbers so far are bad.

With the Marvels at least they could have tried to chalk it down to franchise fatigue (which is certainly a part of the reason why it isnt generating much interest), but Wish has no such excuse

Wish is not only their bread and butter and cornerstone (princess movie) but it's supposed to be the big 100th anniversary movie, and box office results so far are flopping.

But I dont think its because of the Poc princess, at least not the way people think. DIsney has done movies with non white leads before and they were successful. The problem with Wish is that it's just... boring. You dont feel like they were really trying, as if they thought as long as they had a poc princess they didnt need to focus on anywhere else. The plot is mediocre at best, filled with plotholes at worst. The sets were boring, the backdrop wasnt stunning like it was in other movies. The villain was... controversial. In that I legit felt bad for him, which clearly wasnt the intended result lol And Asha... she has the same personality we've seen in other princesses before, and with looks that are too similar to recent characters too

And the songs. The songs were the biggest crime. There's not one catchy tune. Every other "princess" movie had at least one tune you couldnt forget for a while. Wish has nothing. The songs were forgettable. I cant imagine how bad they had to fudge it to fail at making a catchy song

So I dont think the ethnicity of the character is the issue... it's the total disregard for everything else that's affecting them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom