News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The studio needs to remember that they are an animation studio and stay away from "live action." Imo.
Disney has two animation studios (not counting the smaller ones for Disney cable channels): Pixar and Disney Animations Studios.

Disney has five major live-action studios (not counting the smaller TV studios): Walt Disney Studios; Marvel; LucasFilm; 20th Century; and, Spotlight.

Up until the past two decades Disney had two major studios: DAS and WDS. WDS produced such films as Mary Poppins, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, TRON, Hocus Pocus, The Santa Clause, Mighty Ducks, The Parent Trap (and remakes), The Muppets (et. al), etc....

Disney is most definitely *not* "an animation studio."

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The question is how much of that is due to getting D+ for free with your phone and things like that.
First, see if they're getting the premium or with-ads tier. The with-ads tier pays for itself thru ads.

Second, the third party bundler is paying for part of the 'free' subscription. That means, part of your monthly fee to the third party bundler is paying for your 'free' subscription. And your third party bundler is getting that back in charging more for your plan. You're still paying for it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I don't think we would see a deal where Hulu offers 99 cents for a month or 12 dollars for the entire year. Steepest discount I have ever known them to have.
It's for the ads tier. Advertisers are funding the sweet deal.

At this point, the number of subscriptions takes on import not from the subscription fees that the customer pays, but, the size of the number of subscriptions is used to show advertisers they should pay more to Disney to advertise with them.

celluloid

It's for the ads tier. Advertisers are funding the sweet deal.

At this point, the number of subscriptions takes on import not from the subscription fees that the customer pays, but, the size of the number of subscriptions is used to show advertisers they should pay more to Disney to advertise with them.

That is the funniest part. It used to cost more with the ads. The demand is not up. They could have people register free if it was for ads. Other services already do this.
Advertisers only pay more if there are more eyeballs.

The point remains demand is down so the sweet deal has to be sweeter. You don't offer a cheaper deal because demand is up.

_caleb

Tho... "Live TV" subs are in danger. They provide live airing of linear channels. But if linear channels go extinct, there will be nothing "Live" to stream.

The exception would be sports, and Disney will be making the ESPN Cable channel into a concurrent streamer in 2025.
Good point.

You mention sports, but I think live "cable" news is still a big driver of linear despite the fact that much of it can be viewed online. Maybe that's just legacy viewers. Disney's done a few live broadcasts (Academy Awards, etc.), which isn't linear, but is live.

I think we've also seen some novel and hybrid approaches to linear that will keep people subscribing to Live TV until it's better integrated into DTC platforms. I fully expect D+ to incorporate live streams, and I could see those being an upcharge from the basic subscription packages.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Good point.

You mention sports, but I think live "cable" news is still a big driver of linear despite the fact that much of it can be viewed online. Maybe that's just legacy viewers. Disney's done a few live broadcasts (Academy Awards, etc.), which isn't linear, but is live.

I think we've also seen some novel and hybrid approaches to linear that will keep people subscribing to Live TV until it's better integrated into DTC platforms. I fully expect D+ to incorporate live streams, and I could see those being an upcharge from the basic subscription packages.
Yeah, forgot news.

Is there room for an ABCnews tile in D+?

_caleb

I’ve often wondered why they don’t loop ABC into Disney+ in some way.

Even if it can’t be live in Canada, could put episodes of their daytime shows up (GMA, The View) news recaps, Jimmy Kimmel, all sorts, a day later, or throughout the day.
I think it has to do with the rights being tied up with licensing agreements. But lots of ABC content is available (Dancing with the Stars, Blackish, etc.) on D+, most of it on Hulu (due to Disney's previous strategy of keeping D+ more Disnified).

Disney posts a lot of ABC content to YouTube, too, which generates ad money. I imagine all of this will change as they sort out how best to incorporate live programming and different tiles/"channels" into the platform. I suspect those decisions will be driven by user data and to cater to audience subsets.

JD80

How are those magazines doing now? Are they growing?
Disney does not have to make anything? There are costs involved, and you have to produce content that is much more expensive than a magazine.

Also, it is abnormal to offer less than when the deal was around last time. Not a sign of growing business demand.

I specifically stated lower than ever. Hulu used to have 2.99 a month for a year around Black Friday. It has lowered every year to now just 99 cents a year and has a 9 billion debt to comcast.

Sometimes JD80, you are wrong, and that is ok.

Every subscription service currently on the market: Cable, Cell Phones, Streaming, Online Media whatever offer free/cheap/bundle deals to get you in to their ecosystem. Heck even razor blades.

Who cares about magazines specifically.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
At the New York Times Dealbook Conference, Bob Iger said he would "definitely" step down at the end of 2026.

"Walt Disney (DIS.N) Chief Executive Bob Iger said on Wednesday he would "definitely" step down when his current contract ends in 2026 and that the ABC broadcast network was not for sale.

In a wide-ranging interview at the New York Times Dealbook Conference, Iger also said he was "bullish" on the prospects for Shanghai Disneyland and he expected the company would expand the theme park "relatively soon."

Iger returned to Disney as CEO in November 2022, less than a year after he retired, to revamp the media company after the board ousted his hand-picked successor, Bob Chapek.

Disney's ABC unit is not up for sale, Iger said as the company deals with a decline in linear television because viewers are shifting toward streaming. Iger had said earlier this year that networks such as ABC may not be "core" to Disney going forward."

Trauma

At the New York Times Dealbook Conference, Bob Iger said he would "definitely" step down at the end of 2026.

"Walt Disney (DIS.N) Chief Executive Bob Iger said on Wednesday he would "definitely" step down when his current contract ends in 2026 and that the ABC broadcast network was not for sale.

In a wide-ranging interview at the New York Times Dealbook Conference, Iger also said he was "bullish" on the prospects for Shanghai Disneyland and he expected the company would expand the theme park "relatively soon."

Iger returned to Disney as CEO in November 2022, less than a year after he retired, to revamp the media company after the board ousted his hand-picked successor, Bob Chapek.

Disney's ABC unit is not up for sale, Iger said as the company deals with a decline in linear television because viewers are shifting toward streaming. Iger had said earlier this year that networks such as ABC may not be "core" to Disney going forward."

Never heard this before.

WDWFANUNY

Disney is most definitely *not* "an animation studio."
And what is prominent in the parks? "Swiss Family Robinson" has a tree, "Tron" JUST got a ride, and "The Muppets" are pretty absent.

Not to mention which one (animation or "live action") makes up the majority of merchandise sales.

"Marry Poppins" was a hybrid of animation and "live action."

Marvel and Lucasfilm have been a bust. Galaxy's Edge was poorly executed. The hotel was a bust.

"Live Action" remakes have done nothing to improve the brand, and any film with Disney's name on it has fallen flat.

There are plenty of "live action" movie studios. Let Disney do what Disney does best - being pioneers in animation.

Nubs70

Not Core but Not for Sale????

Makes zero sense.

In times of decline non core assets get sold off. Non Core assets are a drag on EBITDA.

JD80

That is the funniest part. It used to cost more with the ads. The demand is not up. They could have people register free if it was for ads. Other services already do this.
Advertisers only pay more if there are more eyeballs.

The point remains demand is down so the sweet deal has to be sweeter. You don't offer a cheaper deal because demand is up.

Show me how demand is down? Top streamers gained subscriptions in the past year. Traditional cable is down subscribers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom