The View from Down Low

GrammieBee

Original Poster
Do not ever let the fact that you, or another member of your party, are in a wheelchair or scooter keep you from going to WDW. Disney itself is extremely accommodating to anyone with a disibality and everything is handicapped accessible in one way or another. Also, I have found that other park guests are mostly courteous and helpful, if needed, once they are aware of your presence. The major problem in the parks lies in the fact that they do not see or hear you as you are quite a bit lower than their eye level. Sometimes you feel like the invisible person.

Loading the buses when everyone is hot and tired is another issue altogether. We usually find it easier to drive to the park and park in the handicapped area.

Unfortunately there will always be those who are rude, ignorant and inconsiderate whether they are in a scooter, pushing a wheelchair or stroller, or walking around on their own two feet. One must have patience with such as those.(But not give them an inch.)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Do not ever let the fact that you, or another member of your party, are in a wheelchair or scooter keep you from going to WDW. Disney itself is extremely accommodating to anyone with a disibality and everything is handicapped accessible in one way or another. Also, I have found that other park guests are mostly courteous and helpful, if needed, once they are aware of your presence. The major problem in the parks lies in the fact that they do not see or hear you as you are quite a bit lower than their eye level. Sometimes you feel like the invisible person.

Loading the buses when everyone is hot and tired is another issue altogether. We usually find it easier to drive to the park and park in the handicapped area.

Unfortunately there will always be those who are rude, ignorant and inconsiderate whether they are in a scooter, pushing a wheelchair or stroller, or walking around on their own two feet. One must have patience with such as those.(But not give them an inch.)
And for the trifecta:

:facepalm:

NormC

Grammie, Please do not think of me as rude. I am sorry your view of the parks is not always pleasant (although I hope yoga pants are still in vogue when I become an old man on a scooter). It is important to remember that the pedestrians always have the right of way and you must be in control of your motor vehicle at all times. You may very well be one of those wonderful people that are keenly aware of this but I have seen far too many rude and selfish scooter drivers that think us lowly pedestrians are just in their way or in the worst case: targets. I apply the same logic to stroller or wheel chair pushers. You must be in control of your wheeled "vehicle" at all times. Running up my heels when I stop in a line is your fault not mine. It is not like the queue is moving so quickly you don't have time to stop before you hit me. The dirty looks will not change that. A simple apology though will make me feel better and could spark up an interesting conversation while we wait to shoot pies and darts at Toy Story figures. Those foot rests on wheel chairs slice the back of your leg nicely. Ouch. Bleeding through my sock while I anxiously wait to see if I can catch a glimpse of the mermaids in the Pirates ride is not fun. The first time did not cut through but repeated attempts were successful even after I politely asked you to be careful. I understand we all have challenges in life and I should be grateful to be able to enjoy the park on my own two feet. I feel bad that some cannot have as much fun as I because they are limited by some mechanical assistance. A little courtesy goes a long way on both sides.

Redhawk

Do not ever let the fact that you, or another member of your party, are in a wheelchair or scooter keep you from going to WDW. Disney itself is extremely accommodating to anyone with a disibality and everything is handicapped accessible in one way or another.

Thanks, GrammieBee! Good thought about perhaps renting a car rather than using the buses. My plan is that we'd stay at the Poly or GF and maybe only visit AK (1 day) and MK (2 days) for my "niece's" first trip, so we'd have the monorail option. I've seen how accommodating WDW is for folks with special needs and assured my friends that their daughter will be able to ride most everything she wants and definitely enjoy the restaurants, shows, parades, and character greets, etc. We would also visit at a low-crowd time when the weather isn't so hot and humid and tiring.

GrammieBee

Original Poster
Actually, I AM one of those wonderful people with unending patience and a keen desire to avoid running into anyone. I do not appreciate a lecture on the safe driving of my scooter. As I originally stated I have run over someone's foot twice in the past twelve years. Both times were in extremely crowded conditions when someone walking next to the front of my scooter suddenly cut in front of the scooter.

Having also spent time in a wheelchair, I will explain what can happen in crowded conditions even if the person is not being careless. I am definitely not excusing running into the back of someone's legs (very painful), but the person pushing the wheelchair cannot always see the ends of the foot rests. This is especially true if they are not used to pushing a wheelchair and it is a rental with the foot rests at some strange angle. Again, I am not excusing running into someone, just explaining how it can happen. It should never happen more than once.

And yes, some riders of scooters, pushers of wheelchairs or strollers and some pedestrians are complete idiots who, if they had any brains to begin with, left them at home when they went on vacation. Have pity on them, stay calm, carry on and enjoy the parks.

Nubs70

If you can walk, push a stroller, or captain an ECV, the solution is pretty simple, be courteous. If you bump into someone, say "excuse me." If someone needs to pass, say "go ahead", they reply with "thank you", and you follow up with "your welcome."

All need to realize you are not alone and BE COURTEOUS. Your mother taught you the basics, now use it.

CheshireCat12

What the hell is this suppose to be???

My grandmother is 91yrs old and can type just fine. She may need help getting to the website or the web page she wants but she would have no issues typing up something like this then clicking submit.

This post may or may not be a troll but just because you don't know any elderly people that can type doesn't mean all of them can't.
I agree. That was just plain rude.

GrammieBee

Original Poster
Another simple solution whether you are riding, pushing or walking is to be aware of what is around you and to watch where you are going.

Redhawk

Coming from a big city where people can be cold and rude in everyday interactions, I am always pleasantly surprised at the warmth and good manners I see from most Disney guests. Of course, there are some rotten apples but I mostly see smiles and courtesy.

sweetpee_1993

My aunt & mom have to do WDW from scooters. Neither of them prefer this but it's the situation life has dealt them. Anywhoo, the title of this thread reminded me of my aunt describing the view from her scooter. She sees a looooot of backsides. Think about the level of the seated scooter driver. Get in a crowd and crouch down sometime. Backsides. :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom