The Universal Rumors thread

bubbles1812

I think it's just fine. I'd love to know I can see a Star Wars movie every year. Since this is their only movie product being worked on and they have some very talented writers already attached, I have faith. Marvel has put a couple movies out a year and they have a pretty decent track record. I think the new Lucasfilm can handle one movie a year.
Marvel does put out a couple of movies per year... But I see a difference as not all those movies are featuring the same characters year in and year out that SW will. Not like Iron Man is going to be in Thor 2. Maybe it's good thing there will be a standalone... But again, they need to be good movies. Otherwise people are just going to say great, more crappy SW movies. Like I said, least Lucas isn't writing them so there's definitely a better chance of them being good but there are no guarantees.

Festivus

Aa
Ah, the youth don't know what they missed ...;)

Since you mentioned The Phantom Menace opening, I just have to share my story about the original Star Wars opening.

I remember being dragged to an opening day (not the opening day, May 25, 1977, which was only a limited engagement) at my local theater 10 AM showing of Star Wars by my brother-in-law (a Sci Fi fanatic). I said no one goes to a movie at 10 in the morning, didn't even know they showed movies at 10 AM. My brother-in-law told me I didn't understand, this was a special showing. He said this movie was going to be big, really big. There were maybe 20-30 people in the theater.

The opening music was cool, I was absolutely wowed by the size of the first Star Destroyer, but what was it with all these robots. Where are the people? I didn't even begin to warm up the movie until Luke finally appeared on the screen.

We stayed for 3 showings that day. Even in the days before cell phones, word-of-mouth got out quickly. I remember people on pay phones (remember those?) calling their friends to come to the movie. The last showing we stayed for was packed.

I've never attended another movie showing that could ever touch the "magic" of that first day. Those who have grown up in the post Star Wars era can't really fathom what it was like, especially in the early to mid 1970s, when movies (except Disney movies which really stunk in the 1970s) were targeted for an adult audience and nearly always were depressing to watch. (Just think Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Three Days of the Condor, etc.) Even early blockbusters (e.g. Jaws and Rocky) were cerebral, lots of gritty dialog targeted for mature audiences.

Star Wars completely changed the movie going experience. At the time, it felt like all other movies before it lacked the one thing Star Wars had an abundance of; joy.

Star Wars was the first "fun" movie I ever watched. It's a feeling that's impossible to explain to those who did not experience the 1970s and did not see Star Wars during its initial run.

After that experience, you pretty much remain a Star Wars fan forever.:)
Agreed, I was 7 years old in 1977. I was actually scared to go see Star Wars because Chewbacca looked scary to me in the TV spots. Ofcourse after I saw it, it blew my mind. The only other films I've seen that have had that kind of impact on me are The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and IJ & The Temple of Doom. I remember standing in a line 3 blocks long to see all 3 original Star Wars films. This was before the megaplexes that exist today and things like Fandango, which have greatly changed the whole experience, taken away some if the anticipation and excitement, IMHO. Those were the days...

lazyboy97o

1 every two years is ideal and perfect actually... But they are planning what 2 or 3 a year? Marvel is going to suffer the same outcome soon with 2 to 3 Marvel movies a year... People will grow tired of it... Over kill is NOT a good thing..
Next year is going to be interesting. Four Marvel movies in five months. Two Marvel Cinematic Universe films, one Spider-Man film and one X-Men film.

MOXOMUMD

Star Wars was the first "fun" movie I ever watched. It's a feeling that's impossible to explain to those who did not experience the 1970s and did not see Star Wars during its initial run.

After that experience, you pretty much remain a Star Wars fan forever.:)

I remember going to the premiere weekend of Star Wars at my local theater and having to sit in a booster seat because I couldn't see the screen. "Hi everybody. My name's MOXOMUMD and I've been, and will remain, a Star Wars fan forever."

truecoat

They have a very good writer in Michael Arndt writing on the new trilogy. If you saw Little Miss Sunshine, you would know what a good writer he is. Oh, and the screenplay to Toy Story 3. He's a big Star Wars fan too.

And concerning Episode 1 3d....the 3d was so subtle why did they bother.

Truecoat, get back on topic!

misterID

Aa
Agreed, I was 7 years old in 1977. I was actually scared to go see Star Wars because Chewbacca looked scary to me in the TV spots. Ofcourse after I saw it, it blew my mind. The only other films I've seen that have had that kind of impact on me are The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and IJ & The Temple of Doom. I remember standing in a line 3 blocks long to see all 3 original Star Wars films. This was before the megaplexes that exist today and things like Fandango, which have greatly changed the whole experience, taken away some if the anticipation and excitement, IMHO. Those were the days...

I wasn't even born in 1977 ;)

My first viewing of Star Wars and Indy were off Video tapes my dad recorded off of either HBO or rented movies, so you can imagine the quality.

So, in other news, I read a really great post by @pheneix on OrlandoUnited explaining that even if KONG doesn't happen, Disaster! isn't sticking around. So something will be going there. Hopefully it will be KONG.

Cletus

Aa

Ditto to this! I was 11 years old in 1977 and I recall the exact same scenario. Another movie for me that the experience can never be replaced is seeing JAWS at our local drive in with my parents in 1975. Needless to say, that movie captivated and scared the crap out of me at the same time. Ahhhhhh, kids these days have no idea how cool it was being able to experience movies like that.

Oh, and don't forget seeing Alien for the first time! o_O Mmmmmm.....chest burster!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom