Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

DisneyGigi

We did! I remember you announcing to us all the correct way to say it, @Tuvalu! :hilarious:

I'll go into more depth in my TR (if I ever get to that point!) but we had so much fun meeting everyone!

PS I had pen pals growing up and I am solidly in the middle of the Millennial generation!

That conversation did not completely stick in my head apparently. My son calls me Dug, I am so bad. 😳 I will blame it on the drinks, or the storm. Not my aging ADD brain... lol

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have spent many an evening watching fireworks from Coronado on that bench in front of the lighted bridge, then from the hammock at Cabanas. I am going to have to stay Tower next time. 😍

Also, I wish I could remember what B and @Tony the Tigger were talking about at the moment that pic was snapped. You would never know by the pic that they didn’t know each other! To be honest, even though he doesn’t post, he enjoyed it just as much as I did. We all have some very supportive spouses in our Disney love, that is for sure. ❤
You definitely need to try out the Tower!
And agree about our very supportive spouses. :inlove:

Woody is hilarious! :joyfull:

He'll definitely need his own set of business cards, as chair of the spouses support group. Move over Tuvalu -- looks like there will be another card-carrying VIP in the family! :p
Woody thought your post was hilarious! I read it to him at the perfect time.....he needed to laugh. Thanks!

Maybe about how bad one can look in unannounced profile shots? 🤣
I'll make sure to blow a trumpet before taking a picture of you in the future. :angelic:

Be glad you weren't caught holding a churro with a crazy smile! 🤣
Oh that was a churro!!!! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what is was! :banghead:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We did! I remember you announcing to us all the correct way to say it, @Tuvalu! :hilarious:

PS I had pen pals growing up and I am solidly in the middle of the Millennial generation!
Thanks for affirming both my pronunciation (at the meet) and that I am not crazy! 🤣

I agree with @Swissmiss that you are more well rounded and worldly than what us boomers think of as a typical millennial. I debated using gen-z instead, but decided none of them spend their time reading trip reports! :joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ahhhhh @Tuvalu you always get me to reminisce some how. First with the girl scout "theme song". Now I'll be singing that and "I wear my pink pajamas" all day
oh an era of days gone by... I still have my Bluebird vest.... I didn't think I was ever that small.
BTW-I was a Girl Scout through high school then was a leader for quite a few years. As soon as I read your post my mind went from the song to The Girl Scout Promise!! Now I can't get either out of my head!!:)
Apologies for the ear worm, friends!

I've been through so much in the last year and a half/ two years. I can tell you that some of the forum members here were better friends than some of the friends I had in real life.

(and yes, that's "had")

Fantastic meet up, I will have to get Chris to join Woody's group he has told me he isn't meeting any strangers off the internet on our trip next year, he even calls you my 'pretend friends' :cry:
George calls everyone my “imaginary friends” 🤦🏻‍♀️ He joined me in stalking EquityBen in the MK last year though so he would prob be on board with meeting “strangers” lol
Tell both your hubbys that We're Here, We're Real, Get Used to It! 🤣

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, August 27

I awakened a little after 5 am to use the bathroom. I debated going back to bed, but decided to shower since we had a busy morning ahead ~ packing, checking out of Coronado, checking into Grand Floridian (to stow luggage until room was ready), and then catching the bus from GF to the Studios where we had morning FPs and a lunch ADR at Mama Melrose.

Suddenly I heard a constant, rhythmic beeping. I opened the big barn bathroom door and listened. The noise was coming from the hall. I opened our room door and discerned it was the fire alarm! A female voice kept repeating, "This is a fire emergency. Please evacuate the building."

I wondered why there was no fire alarm in our room. I'm not sure I would have heard that hall alarm had I not already been up. Woody was sleeping peacefully. I was trying to remain calm but my insides felt like this:

76A97F8E-1A25-4A70-9724-1C1C6A31EE8D.jpeg

I woke the anti-Woody, who said it was likely a false alarm. I picked up our room phone to inquire. Of course the room phone connects to a call center, not the actual front desk, so the CM put me on hold while she contacted the resort directly.

“Ma’am, you need to GET OUT!!”

Okay so now I am in full freak out mode. Woody kept reassuring me that it was a false alarm, that false alarms in hotels have happened to him numerous times over the years, blah, blah, blah.

All I can think about is The Towering Inferno.

I was tempted to throw everything into my suitcase (since we were checking out later anyway), until Woody reminded me we were on the 9th floor, we’d have to lug that suitcase down many flights of stairs....and possibly back UP said stairs if the elevators hadn’t resumed operation.

Right. So I stuffed all our electronics into a bag (priorities!) and we headed for the stairwell. The alarm was still beeping and the voice kept repeating, “This is a fire emergency. Please evacuate the building.”

We were the only ones on the stairs. We exited the building into darkness. No one else was around.

Woody and I walked towards the front of the Tower and were met by a CM in a suit who directed us to a staging area to wait for the fire department. He was giving out no other information.

I didn’t see any smoke or flames which I took as a good sign!

There weren’t nearly as many guests in the staging area as I expected considering the number of rooms in the Tower. Were the rest still sleeping?

FB091419-BBFF-4859-8F3A-686BECBACE75.jpeg

A Magical Express bus arrived and dropped off a family toting their luggage. Another CM in a suit prevented them from going towards the entrance and directed them to the staging area.

“Can you imagine what they’re thinking?” Woody said to me. “Great, the hotel we booked is on fire?”

FINALLY.....

6BB0FEAD-BB79-43A3-8D00-597409AFC6C2.gif

What in the world took them so long?

D6649ABA-D14E-4308-BDEB-1693E6646BE5.jpeg

And why the truck parked beside a Cabana instead of the Tower, I have no idea!

We waited almost 30 minutes longer until the “all clear.” Fortunately we were able to ride the elevator back to the 9th floor. A man who rode with us joked that we should all be given extra Fastpasses for the inconvenience.

The reality was:

D420ED42-734D-47E0-BE3C-6B38621CBE29.jpeg

At least our stuff didn’t burn!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Tuesday, August 27

I awakened a little after 5 am to use the bathroom. I debated going back to bed, but decided to shower since we had a busy morning ahead ~ packing, checking out of Coronado, checking into Grand Floridian (to stow luggage until room was ready), and then catching the bus from GF to the Studios where we had morning FPs and a lunch ADR at Mama Melrose.

Suddenly I heard a constant, rhythmic beeping. I opened the big barn bathroom door and listened. The noise was coming from the hall. I opened our room door and discerned it was the fire alarm! A female voice kept repeating, "This is a fire emergency. Please evacuate the building."

I wondered why there was no fire alarm in our room. I'm not sure I would have heard that hall alarm had I not already been up. Woody was sleeping peacefully. I was trying to remain calm but my insides felt like this:

View attachment 416198

I woke the anti-Woody, who said it was likely a false alarm. I picked up our room phone to inquire. Of course the room phone connects to a call center, not the actual front desk, so the CM put me on hold while she contacted the resort directly.

Okay so now I am in full freak out mode. Woody kept reassuring me that it was a false alarm, that false alarms in hotels have happened to him numerous times over the years, blah, blah, blah.

I was tempted to throw everything into my suitcase (since we were checking out later anyway), until Woody reminded me we were on the 9th floor, we’d have to lug that suitcase down many flights of stairs....and possibly back UP said stairs if the elevators hadn’t resumed operation.

Right. So I stuffed all our electronics into a bag (priorities!) and we headed for the stairwell. The alarm was still beeping and the voice kept repeating, “This is a fire emergency. Please evacuate the building.”

We were the only ones on the stairs. We exited the building into darkness. No one else was around.

Woody and I walked towards the front of the Tower and were met by a CM in a suit who directed us to a staging area to wait for the fire department. He was giving out no other information.

There weren’t nearly as many guests in the staging area as I expected considering the number of rooms in the Tower. Were the rest still sleeping?

View attachment 416197

A Magical Express bus arrived and dropped off a family toting their luggage. Another CM in a suit prevented them from going towards the entrance and directed them to the staging area.

“Can you imagine what they’re thinking?” Woody said to me. “Great, the hotel we booked is on fire?”

FINALLY.....

View attachment 416271

View attachment 416196

We waited almost 30 minutes longer until the “all clear.” Fortunately we were able to ride the elevator back to the 9th floor. A man who rode with us joked that we should all be given extra Fastpasses for the inconvenience.

The reality was:

View attachment 416270

I’m glad that this turned out ok.

It brought back memories from this summer of how poorly prepared my work was for a real fire - the building had been under renovation for the past 4+ years and among the renovation improvements was to bring the building up to current fire codes (a lot has changed in nearly 50 years!). During the renovation they put in two new temporary fire escapes along the side because the building is massive and there were only fire escapes on either end. The irony of the fire: it was caused connecting one of the permanent fire escapes :banghead:

As the fire was in a portion of the building unoccupied due to the renovations, the we were not in danger at any time but at least the upside is that despite periodic fire drills, they realized that in a real evacuation situation the team responsible for an evacuation was completely un(der)prepared and they have taken corrective action.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Tuesday, August 27

View attachment 416198

View attachment 416197

FINALLY.....

View attachment 416271

View attachment 416196

The reality was:

View attachment 416270

I know that each state has its own fire code regulations, but for the life of me, I can't imagine that NOT having an audible and (flashing light) visual in ALL GUEST ROOMS could be legal??!! Are you kidding me??!! Talk about a potential disaster waiting to happen. Really POOR SHOW. And that thing about your phone call being directed to a call center (and not directly to the front desk of the hotel) is also concerning in any crisis situation.

Wow . . .

k8einwdw

I know that each state has its own fire code regulations, but for the life of me, I can't imagine that NOT having an audible and (flashing light) visual in ALL GUEST ROOMS could be legal??!! Are you kidding me??!! Talk about a potential disaster waiting to happen. Really POOR SHOW. And that thing about your phone call being directed to a call center (and not directly to the front desk of the hotel) is also concerning in any crisis situation.

Wow . . .

I work for a fire protection company. NFPA does not require strobes in every room of a hotel - only a certain percentage, and that is to accommodate the hearing-impaired. It would cost them a looooot of money to put them in every room. The only thing required in every room is a smoke detector. They are required to have a Voice Evac system or horns to alert guests to a fire. Obviously their Voice Evac system isn’t working very well, since many of the guests evidently didn’t hear it.

susan lees

Tuesday, August 27

View attachment 416198

View attachment 416197

FINALLY.....

View attachment 416271

View attachment 416196

The reality was:

View attachment 416270

This happened to me once in the middle of the night. Not a nice experience. Turned out someone smoking in their room 😠. Really enjoying your report on Destino tower. We've managed to get one night in November in a deluxe suite club level (it's not what you know but who you know lol). I'm so excited, I might even do a wee report 😀.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
In all your years of traveling to the world, was that a first?
Yes sir, that was a first!

Did you find out what happened, or did you book it over to the Grand Floridian and never look back?
Nope and yup!!!! 🤣

It brought back memories from this summer of how poorly prepared my work was for a real fire - the building had been under renovation for the past 4+ years and among the renovation improvements was to bring the building up to current fire codes (a lot has changed in nearly 50 years!). During the renovation they put in two new temporary fire escapes along the side because the building is massive and there were only fire escapes on either end. The irony of the fire: it was caused connecting one of the permanent fire escapes :banghead:

As the fire was in a portion of the building unoccupied due to the renovations, the we were not in danger at any time but at least the upside is that despite periodic fire drills, they realized that in a real evacuation situation the team responsible for an evacuation was completely un(der)prepared and they have taken corrective action.
Wow :jawdrop:

This happened to me once in the middle of the night. Not a nice experience. Turned out someone smoking in their room 😠. Really enjoying your report on Destino tower. We've managed to get one night in November in a deluxe suite club level (it's not what you know but who you know lol). I'm so excited, I might even do a wee report 😀.
Being inconvenienced in the middle of the night due to someone's selfishness? Grrrr.....
You must write a wee TR about your club suite stay.....inquiring minds want to know!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Wow . . .
I completely agree with you.
And I was so thankful to read @k8einwdw 's explanation.

I work for a fire protection company. NFPA does not require strobes in every room of a hotel - only a certain percentage, and that is to accommodate the hearing-impaired. It would cost them a looooot of money to put them in every room. The only thing required in every room is a smoke detector. They are required to have a Voice Evac system or horns to alert guests to a fire. Obviously their Voice Evac system isn’t working very well, since many of the guests evidently didn’t hear it.
Really appreciate you sharing your expertise with us!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom