Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Now that @MickeyCB, @sheriffwoody, @lindawdw, @Rista1313 and @Gurt are onboard with the dinnerware, it’s time to continue with Sunday dinner.

Woody and I had reservations at ToLAYdo. (Not ToLEEdo, like the city in Ohio. You can thank me for saving you the embarrassment of mispronunciation.....which I suffered firsthand.) :facepalm:

AEE2A300-A78F-4A8A-9631-CFFDB3056FDB.jpeg

The restaurant is located atop the Gran Destino Tower. When you disembark the elevator (assuming you remembered to select the 16th floor before boarding 😉), Toledo will be on your left and this will be on your right ~

B4F60FF4-FDC1-438A-993E-265F6080EB75.jpeg

We checked in at the podium and were told it would be a few minutes until our table was ready, so we checked out the Dahlia Lounge.

780176B1-2DF9-4E81-8097-5BCCC71255E9.jpeg

“Casual elegance” seemed to be the vibe here. But there was no point in staying inside when the observation deck was beckoning us to the views outside.

Hello, Tower of Terror!

5CEF7579-202B-407D-9BAC-AB82BEC9AE0E.jpeg

Bright suns, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge!

5126869E-BB56-426C-BE71-D14CC7C59270.jpeg

Let it snow, Summit Plummet!

B73E0B82-6654-4739-87BF-9E393F5D5E5D.jpeg

Sshhh, don’t wake the Yeti.

D4440DB8-2009-4B2A-89B9-C3B196554F67.jpeg

There are comfy couches and chairs to relax on while enjoying libations from the bar. All of them were taken, as Dahlia Lounge is a popular evening destination! There were many folks like us milling around the deck.

BEFB9B56-F170-4F9F-BE05-840EA290C53F.jpeg

There is also a spectacular view of the parking lot!

A2895BB0-6927-4682-9FE0-EB75CD15CECB.jpeg

I had read the promos noting the “sweeping views of Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot.” I agreed with the DHS assessment. This next picture was taken from the farthest end of the observation deck at Dahlia. I think Epcot might be a bit of a stretch.

3FFDF09E-F6C7-4625-BBFD-52BC03593412.jpeg

We never got a chance to return to Dahlia Lounge this trip although we would like to in the future. My phone soon buzzed, alerting us our table was ready.

93boomer

Premium Member
Now that @MickeyCB, @sheriffwoody, @lindawdw, @Rista1313 and @Gurt are onboard with the dinnerware, it’s time to continue with Sunday dinner.

Woody and I had reservations at ToLAYdo. (Not ToLEEdo, like the city in Ohio. You can thank me for saving you the embarrassment of mispronunciation.....which I suffered firsthand.) :facepalm:

View attachment 413416

The restaurant is located atop the Gran Destino Tower. When you disembark the elevator (assuming you remembered to select the 16th floor before boarding 😉), Toledo will be on your left and this will be on your right ~

View attachment 413430

We checked in at the podium and were told it would be a few minutes until our table was ready, so we checked out the Dahlia Lounge.

View attachment 413408

“Casual elegance” seemed to be the vibe here. But there was no point in staying inside when the observation deck was beckoning us to the views outside.

Hello, Tower of Terror!

View attachment 413411

Bright suns, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge!

View attachment 413409

Let it snow, Summit Plummet!

View attachment 413410

Sshhh, don’t wake the Yeti.

View attachment 413412

There are comfy couches and chairs to relax on while enjoying libations from the bar. All of them were taken, as Dahlia Lounge is a popular evening destination! There were many folks like us milling around the deck.

View attachment 413414

There is also a spectacular view of the parking lot!

View attachment 413413

I had read the promos noting the “sweeping views of Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot.” I agreed with the DHS assessment. This next picture was taken from the farthest end of the observation deck at Dahlia. I think Epcot might be a bit of a stretch.

View attachment 413415

We never got a chance to return to Dahlia Lounge this trip although we would like to in the future. My phone soon buzzed, alerting us our table was ready.
That view!!!! Ok whispering so as to not wake the Yeti.🤣🤣

lindawdw

I absolutely love rooftop lounges as the views are just so spectacular!!! I don't think anything beats the views from the top of The Contemporary or Bay Lake Lounge because the MK all lit up at night, along with Seven Seas Lagoon and Monorail Resorts are so incredible, but the views from this resort are nothing to sneeze at for sure!!! Can't wait to hear about your dinner. :) Thanks for informing us of the correct pronunciation. ;)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The interior of Toledo was stunning, especially the ceiling.

2BC1CD0A-E35F-4D36-9FCF-84947690A64F.jpeg

0F79132A-953D-439F-AE53-D80D45FCFA63.jpeg

We were seated mid-restaurant and while I had desired a window table, I liked the vibrancy of our location. The noise level was lower than that of California Grill and Woody and I were able to carry on a conversation without raising our voices.

Menus awaited us on the table. The trifold design was very clever.

55AF29FE-CEFA-4BA2-BFF2-82015E676F77.jpeg

“Food” 😉

4A07BA7F-12FD-432A-A2C1-9ECBA35C4515.jpeg

Our server, ironically, was from Ohio. She was the one who alerted me to the correct pronunciation of Toledo, but did not shame me (though I was a little embarrassed anyway.) She explained the menu to us, highlighted a few things, and said she would get our drinks while we looked over the menu.

690C6685-A2E9-4239-AE15-6AD87B958295.jpeg

I went with a strawberry hard cider. It was more full-bodied than the strawberry rose hard cider I’d adored at Flower & Garden this year. While it was tasty I’m not sure I would order it again; probably would choose a white wine instead.

E2746B5B-A8F2-43C7-B477-757046454A06.jpeg

Woody ordered some variety of red wine. He liked it enough to have a second glass.

507F05B8-6C17-4582-A18F-C2652B083DD7.jpeg

I had to try the Pan con Tomate. I’m a sucker for anything made with fresh tomatoes.

68E519C0-1BBC-469A-99E5-810FF1362F74.jpeg

680C41C5-59AB-49E4-8195-24175F6EE7D1.jpeg

This was not as good as I had hoped. All the slices of bread were charred on the bottom, causing the bread to be much crunchier than need be. The tomato spread did not pack enough of a “wow” to compensate for it. I even tried a spoonful of the crushed tomato by itself and thought, “meh.”

Now brace yourself for a real shocker.....Woody and I chose the same entrée!

Hanger steak with crushed new potatoes, salsa verde, greens, charred peppers

BA2FDC0F-2BEE-4A0A-8864-07E929A3C914.jpeg

Charred peppers = good
Charred bread = bad
🤣

I loved the blend of flavors and textures in this meal. The steak was done to perfection and both of us cleaned our plates. It was also surprisingly filling and we were not tempted to look at the dessert menu.

Toledo is not a signature restaurant. The price point of entrées is lower because food quality is a tad lesser than found at a sig. Service was fine but far from top-notch....we noticed many of the servers were still trying to find their way.

We also discovered that the best views were located in the two private dining rooms. Prime table-side viewing of Illuminations and Star Wars fireworks come with a price apparently! (Toledo does have its own observation deck, but it was not open when we were there.)

Woody and I agreed we’d eat here again. Next time we’d try the Rib-Eye for Two ~ the couple beside us ordered it with two yummy-looking sides and devoured everything!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We were back in our room at 8:55 pm and expectantly waited for Happily Ever After. When it did not begin at 9 pm like last night, we thought perhaps we could not see fireworks from our room after all. Woody checked the app and HEA was scheduled for 9:15 pm.

Were we able to see it?

96DC5DB3-DFC6-4D51-90F2-57A28C4C8F51.jpeg

Yeah, baby!

Our fabulous resort day ended with a BANG!

lindawdw

Glad you enjoyed your dinner so much even if the bread/tomato appetizer was just meh. We're hoping to get over there during our February trip to try it. No better way to end a wonderful Disney day than to view fireworks from your balcony!!!

93boomer

Premium Member
The interior of Toledo was stunning, especially the ceiling.

View attachment 413734

View attachment 413735

We were seated mid-restaurant and while I had desired a window table, I liked the vibrancy of our location. The noise level was lower than that of California Grill and Woody and I were able to carry on a conversation without raising our voices.

Menus awaited us on the table. The trifold design was very clever.

View attachment 413738

“Food” 😉

View attachment 413739

Our server, ironically, was from Ohio. She was the one who alerted me to the correct pronunciation of Toledo, but did not shame me (though I was a little embarrassed anyway.) She explained the menu to us, highlighted a few things, and said she would get our drinks while we looked over the menu.

View attachment 413737

I went with a strawberry hard cider. It was more full-bodied than the strawberry rose hard cider I’d adored at Flower & Garden this year. While it was tasty I’m not sure I would order it again; probably would choose a white wine instead.

View attachment 413740

Woody ordered some variety of red wine. He liked it enough to have a second glass.

View attachment 413736

I had to try the Pan con Tomate. I’m a sucker for anything made with fresh tomatoes.

View attachment 413741

View attachment 413742

This was not as good as I had hoped. All the slices of bread were charred on the bottom, causing the bread to be much crunchier than need be. The tomato spread did not pack enough of a “wow” to compensate for it. I even tried a spoonful of the crushed tomato by itself and thought, “meh.”

Now brace yourself for a real shocker.....Woody and I chose the same entrée!

Hanger steak with crushed new potatoes, salsa verde, greens, charred peppers

View attachment 413743

Charred peppers = good
Charred bread = bad
🤣

I loved the blend of flavors and textures in this meal. The steak was done to perfection and both of us cleaned our plates. It was also surprisingly filling and we were not tempted to look at the dessert menu.

Toledo is not a signature restaurant. The price point of entrées is lower because food quality is a tad lesser than found at a sig. Service was fine but far from top-notch....we noticed many of the servers were still trying to find their way.

We also discovered that the best views were located in the two private dining rooms. Prime table-side viewing of Illuminations and Star Wars fireworks come with a price apparently! (Toledo does have its own observation deck, but it was not open when we were there.)

Woody and I agreed we’d eat here again. Next time we’d try the Rib-Eye for Two ~ the couple beside us ordered it with two yummy-looking sides and devoured everything!
Ahhh strawberry rose hard cider :inlove:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom