The Truth about the Osborne Lights

doctornick

Seems that for now, nothing is planned for the SoA area, so the lights are safe for the moment. However, new plans could be approved at any time, so it's possible that the SoA will be on the chopping block and take the Osborne Lights with them. And, who knows, something like that could happen by the 2014 holiday season so it possible they might not be around next year.

Mammymouse

I can't imagine the Christmas season at Disney without the Osborne Lights. It is one of my favorite displays and I will be really mad if they disappear. It is so "unique", which is what Disney used to be proud to be. I'm hoping now that the Next Gen thing (debockle in my opinion) is finally launched that the new projects will impress us, entertainment-wise. One can hope, right?

danpam1024

Original Poster
my worry is that they won't be there in 2014. Or like many things, they will be a shell of what they once were. And I NEVER use my credit card for anything other than a true emergency (ie-massive car repair, appliance breaking etc) and I am thinking this may just be a TRUE emergency. Maybe we can go up for just a couple of days to see the lights before they're put out for good. But it doesn't sound like they will be "turned off" for at least another year or so.

mortimor

It would be terrible if they completely removed them. But, from memory 2000 or 2001 Christmas season, weren't the lights in the area where the sitcom houses on a street used to be? It The area is now part of the LMA. I remember walking through this area and the houses were all lit up. It seemed like more of a neighborhood street than where they are now. I would hope that if they do have to redo the area, they would reinstall them in another area.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It would be terrible if they completely removed them. But, from memory 2000 or 2001 Christmas season, weren't the lights in the area where the sitcom houses on a street used to be? It The area is now part of the LMA. I remember walking through this area and the houses were all lit up. It seemed like more of a neighborhood street than where they are now. I would hope that if they do have to redo the area, they would reinstall them in another area.
The lights were originally on Residential Street. When that was demolished the lights moved to the Streets of America.

Sped2424

There have been rumors rumbling that they would be put somewhere else, But I could definitely see that area being put on the chopping block, Its right next to the star wars area that currently exists wouldn't be crazy for them to expand that way but that would also mean the death of the muppets. I would hope that they demolish the indy stage and expand more towards that way.

Fable McCloud

The lights attract people to Hollywood Studios. If they lose that, why would people stay after dark, when they have done all there is earlier? It makes DHS a special place for the holidays, and there's really no where else to put them.

Heck, it makes the whole area feel more like a Hollywood spectacle and that's why it's great!

WDWoptmist

The lights attract people to Hollywood Studios. If they lose that, why would people stay after dark, when they have done all there is earlier? It makes DHS a special place for the holidays, and there's really no where else to put them.

Heck, it makes the whole area feel more like a Hollywood spectacle and that's why it's great!
The Osbourne Lights are my favorite holiday event in all of WDW, but if they were to get rid of SoA and the lights respectively it would mean that something else spectacular was replacing them, so as to why people would stay after dark whatever they would build in it's place would solve that problem for the entire year rather than just a few weeks a year. However if they were removed I would really hope they added another christmas lights spectacular at the Boardwalk or something like that. (Here's to hoping they stay!)

Fox&Hound

I know the plans keep changing (even though nothing has been confirmed), but if Streets of America were part of an expanded Pixar area and not Star Wars then I could easily see them being converted to a Monstropolis theme. Add some monsters peeking in and out of windows, add Mike's Car, the Harry Housen (sp?) restaurant, the Monster's Inc Door Coaster, move MILF here, and maybe a MU bookstore and you get to keep streets and add to it.

Of course, if it becomes Star Wars then the streets will be demolished, sadly. With all of the space Disney has I cannot see what they cannot be moved somewhere. To Disney Springs, somewhere in Animal Kingdom, some vacant part of EPCOT that never sees tourists anymore. I agree with others, they are such a cool sight, I can't imagine Disney just getting rid of them.

MasonDuo

What we found interesting this past weekend (probably really overthinking this) is that the "Presented by Sylvania" signage is no longer there and that the canopy already had several strands that weren't working properly (all white - no color changing) on opening night. Opening night should be at 100% in my opinion with operating lights in the canopy. Plus is there a sponsor this year? No change in song choices (last year's new "Winter Wonderland" was great). Kinda makes me wonder if less effort this year is a reflection on things to come.

danpam1024

Original Poster
What we found interesting this past weekend (probably really overthinking this) is that the "Presented by Sylvania" signage is no longer there and that the canopy already had several strands that weren't working properly (all white - no color changing) on opening night. Opening night should be at 100% in my opinion with operating lights in the canopy. Plus is there a sponsor this year? No change in song choices (last year's new "Winter Wonderland" was great). Kinda makes me wonder if less effort this year is a reflection on things to come.
:cry:

Biff215

Losing Sylvania as a sponsor is probably unrelated but is concerning. Disney does have a history of ignoring (or closing) attractions that lose sponsors. The lights should be enough of a draw to justify their cost to run, but having a sponsor could certainly help with the cost of upkeep. I have a tiny display here at home compared to Osbourne, but I know from experience that it's not a cheap hobby to get into.

We decided not to do a holiday trip this year, but hope to next year. Seeing the Osbourne lights is probably our top priority, so we're hoping they stick around, even if it's a modified version someplace else. I don't want to be negative, but if the lights were to go, I'm not sure I could justify a holiday trip. They're the best display I've ever seen, and worth the trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom