The truth about Jersey week

mbroschak

Original Poster
I have read many posts on different websites about the elevated crowd levels during the second weekend in Novemeber when New Jersey has a big teachers convention and most report that the crowd levels are higher but managable. My wife and I have just returned from a two week trip and the long weekend part of Jersey week was rediculous! It's not so much that the ride lines were too long, fastpass takes care of that, but there were so many people in the parks it was hard to walk around and generally a much less pleasant experience.
I have been to the world during slow and the busiest of times and I couldn't believe how busy the parks were. It's like every single person from New Jersey got on a plane that week and made their way to Florida. Also, many people that week were extremely pushy and rude (I'm not saying everyone from Jersey is rude, in fact we met some very nice people from there), but it was 4 days of complete Chaos in the parks.
We had already booked our trip and I had heard of Jersey week after the fact because no one seems to make a big deal of it, so I didn't either.
My word of advice to anyone who has the luxury of traveling during the off season, is avoid the second weekend of November like the plague. It's just not worth it.

EPCOT.nut

It's like every single person from New Jersey got on a plane that week and made their way to Florida.

That is how we feel Oct-April in Florida. :eek:
I never heard of Jersey Week. I just clicked on this link thinking there was a cow exhibit at EPCOT. Bummer...:(:lol:

MommytoMJM

Yep, it was a madhouse. It was especially bad since it coincided with the last weekend of Food and Wine and the Funai Classic.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I was there that weekend, and didn't find it bad at all, to be perfectly honest. The longest waits I saw in any park were for Expedition: Everest, which was 70 minutes. Soarin', Splash, and Test Track all had 50 minute waits, but nothing longer.

Perhaps it seemed lighter to me because I am used to going during the summer, when it's always a mob scene (as a teacher, I'm limited as to when I can visit WDW)??

tink rules

I have read many posts on different websites about the elevated crowd levels during the second weekend in Novemeber when New Jersey has a big teachers convention and most report that the crowd levels are higher but managable. My wife and I have just returned from a two week trip and the long weekend part of Jersey week was rediculous! It's not so much that the ride lines were too long, fastpass takes care of that, but there were so many people in the parks it was hard to walk around and generally a much less pleasant experience.
I have been to the world during slow and the busiest of times and I couldn't believe how busy the parks were. It's like every single person from New Jersey got on a plane that week and made their way to Florida. Also, many people that week were extremely pushy and rude (I'm not saying everyone from Jersey is rude, in fact we met some very nice people from there), but it was 4 days of complete Chaos in the parks.
We had already booked our trip and I had heard of Jersey week after the fact because no one seems to make a big deal of it, so I didn't either.
My word of advice to anyone who has the luxury of traveling during the off season, is avoid the second weekend of November like the plague. It's just not worth it.

Well... we all TRY to get on a plane... used to do Jersey week when it was manageable... I think with the F&W festival... and the holidays starting earlier...

BUT... I moved to upstate NY last year so unless we have an Upstate NY week... I guess I'll just have to wing it at other times of the year!!!

njmom66

NJ Week

This was our second year going during Teacher Convention Week. We didn't find it bad at all-we did fast pass for everything and went on every big ride (Space Mountain, Everest, Splash etc.) twice in a row. The worst crowdes were at MGM with the soap opera people-that was annoying b/c they took up the lots of space that we couldn't walk thru. All in all a great time to go b/c the weather is perfect.

tink rules

Here here....

We're not rude...

We just know what we want out of life...

(Of course I left Jersey last year... but that was because I could no longer afford a house there...)

tink rules

This was our second year going during Teacher Convention Week. We didn't find it bad at all-we did fast pass for everything and went on every big ride (Space Mountain, Everest, Splash etc.) twice in a row. The worst crowdes were at MGM with the soap opera people-that was annoying b/c they took up the lots of space that we couldn't walk thru. All in all a great time to go b/c the weather is perfect.

Very true... it was Super Soap Weekend... that adds a few of us All My Children Fans to the mix...

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Super Soap Weekend added more people to MGM, but I don't think it made the attractions' lines any longer. I never waited more than 30 minutes for anything at MGM either day I was there. It was hard negotiating the crowds getting to places, but the lines were certainly more than manageable.

piratelass

I can imagine it being crowded. I knew of about 4-5 kids who went down for the week in my grade and the grade above. I also imagine the chaos.

and we really aren't that bad. I think we get a bad name for being impaitient more then anything else. :/ But hey, thats what you get when you live between the DiPrinzos and the McNamees :lookaroun

Craig & Lisa

Hey... I'm in NJ, and being rude is a fact of life, at least here in Bergen County. Everyone knows it too.
I also live in NJ and find that remark wrong. You may be that way because your so close to NYC, we live in central NJ, but as for those I know, we are very polite, and we have gone during the week of teachers convention/election day. It has never really been that crowded, and 99 % of the time we have never had a bad time. Actually we have gone during the week of Thanksgiving and found it to be more crowded then. But the people have never been rude, but for just once try going during the summer, say around when it can get as crowded as 50 to 60,000 people a day in one park. When they have to close the parking lot because it's full, and not let anyone else in. You can't possibly believe that a place like WDW won't be crowded, or difficult to manage when a few more people than your used to are there when you are. And as for the remark about avoiding it like the plaque then that just leaves us less time on line because your not there. :animwink: Besides, your vacation is what you make it.:D

surfsupdon

Yep, Those were Jersey people all right!

And you were calling us NJ-ians rude...:veryconfu

It's also fun to note what "crowded" means to you. We feel Jersey Week is relatively empty, compared to ALL of our Christmas, Easter, and July 4th vacations to WDW. As a brand new first year teacher myself, I opted to go to convention with my parents. Was I nuts; I should have gone to Disney!!

Craig & Lisa

Maybe it was just everyone from Bergen. :lookaroun The rest of y'all are pleasant peaches! :kiss:

:lookaroun :D
Why thankyou, we peaches appreaciate that very much! :kiss: By the way, you should try the Jersey Peach if your ever up here too, or the tomato, corn, blueberry, cranberry.......etc. :wave:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
South Jersey is nice.

North Jersey is nice.

Atlantic City... not so much

Craig & Lisa

And you were calling us NJ-ians rude...:veryconfu

It's also fun to note what "crowded" means to you. We feel Jersey Week is relatively empty, compared to ALL of our Christmas, Easter, and July 4th vacations to WDW. As a brand new first year teacher myself, I opted to go to convention with my parents. Was I nuts; I should have gone to Disney!!
My wife is a teacher also, we were in WDW. I guess you pay the price for having short vision. By the way, how was the convention?? We had 3/4 of a day with rain, it seems Jersey had alot more. Sorry :animwink:

jesserin

Why thankyou, we peaches appreaciate that very much! :kiss: By the way, you should try the Jersey Peach if your ever up here too, or the tomato, corn, blueberry, cranberry.......etc. :wave:

Anytime! :) Even with that accent :lookaroun I've found most NJ'ians to be pleasant and accomodating. :kiss:

And nothing beats the corn and tomato's from Jersey or OH. :slurp: Yummy. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom