The Tree of Life?

kingslyZISSOU

Original Poster
I was doing some Bible study (stay with me here) In Genesis last night, and it clicked.

Is the tree of life in the center of Animal Kingdom an allusion to the tree of life in Genesis?

Genesis 3:24 (King James Version)
24So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

I've seen concept art of a Giant Noah's Ark for the park, and always thought that was interesting.

I'm not trying to start a debate about spiritual beliefs here (I am always interested in discussing them, but I don't feel everyone would take kindly to it. I feel like these boards are booming with escapism, but that's a whole different topic), I'm just curious about the design of Animal Kingdom in association with spiritual beliefs.

Am I the only one who has noticed this?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
While the phraseology may match, it's more likely that the AKL Tree of Life is so-called for the multitude of life-forms "grown" in its trunk.

An interesting observation nonetheless.

Wilt Dasney

When the park was first announced, I assumed they borrowed the term from the Bible and wrapped it around a different kind of concept.

I don't think I've ever seen it addressed, though, and honestly hadn't thought about the connection for a long time until seeing this thread.

Atomicmickey

I think it's more generic. Darwin also used the term "tree of life", if I'm not mistaken, perhaps borrowing it from his Biblical education. In any event, it applies in either a spiritual or non-spiritual sense, so I'd suppose it comes down to "to each his own". I'd like to think that is part of what Disney is all about.:)

Wilt Dasney

I think it's more generic. Darwin also used the term "tree of life", if I'm not mistaken, perhaps borrowing it from his Biblical education. In any event, it applies in either a spiritual or non-spiritual sense, so I'd suppose it comes down to "to each his own". I'd like to think that is part of what Disney is all about.:)
I'd say if you can honestly attribute it to Genesis or Darwin, that's what you call a universal term. :lol:

New2WDW

I have also read and seen info about Bible references for the AK. I do in fact remember some images about using Noah's Ark as I believe the entrance. That is some very interesting stuff! Keep up the Bible studies! :wave:

rsoxguy

I have always assumed that the title was meant to point out the carvings of different animals. While the Tree of Life in the Bible signifies the life given to us in Christ, I can not imagine Disney alluding to something of a spiritual nature within a very secular theme park. I would think they instead intended to emphasize the "life" represented by the animal kingdom (of nature, not the Park).

Wilt Dasney

While the Tree of Life in the Bible signifies the life given to us in Christ, I can not imagine Disney alluding to something of a spiritual nature within a very secular theme park.
Interesting. I've never heard that connection made. The Biblical Tree of Life predates the Gospels by a good bit, so I've never thought of it as a particularly Christian symbol. (I suspect Jewish scholars would also have a few thoughts on that, since Genesis is part of their Bible, but I guess we're getting really afield now.) :lol:

I just recall assuming it was cribbed from the Bible when I first heard there would be a "Tree of Life" in AK. It seems pretty easy to think of AK as kind of a modern day Garden of Eden, without any of the overt religious elements. The Tree of Life seems like a classical symbol that can be pretty easily divorced from religious significance and made to tie in with the purely natural theme of AK.

Of course, I could be way off with what the Imagineers intended, but that's just how I think of it.

rsoxguy

Interesting. I've never heard that connection made. The Biblical Tree of Life predates the Gospels by a good bit, so I've never thought of it as a particularly Christian symbol. (I suspect Jewish scholars would also have a few thoughts on that, since Genesis is part of their Bible, but I guess we're getting really afield now.) :lol:

I just recall assuming it was cribbed from the Bible when I first heard there would be a "Tree of Life" in AK. It seems pretty easy to think of AK as kind of a modern day Garden of Eden, without any of the overt religious elements. The Tree of Life seems like a classical symbol that can be pretty easily divorced from religious significance and made to tie in with the purely natural theme of AK.

Of course, I could be way off with what the Imagineers intended, but that's just how I think of it.

I did not and do not intend to push a theological debate or lesson on a Disney fan site, but I will address this quote, if you will allow. The Tree of Life is mentioned twice in the Bible. Genesis mentions it as being in the Garden of Eden, and Revelation mentions it as being in the New Jerusalem. It is therefore an OT and NT item. Remember that the OT is filled with references to the coming Messiah and is therefore relevant to anyone who believes that Christ is the fulfillment of OT Scriptures.

Example: The Ark of the Covenant (Indiana Jones)

*Wood framework- Christ's humanity
*Gold overlay- Christ's divinity over His humanity
*Ten Commandments inside- Christ's fulfillment of the Law and His responsibility for sin.
*Mercy seat (lid)- Christ's covering and atonement for sin through his work of mercy on the Cross.
*Yearly sprinkling of blood on the Ark by the high priest- The necessity of the blood of Christ for an atonement for sin because he is now the High Priest.

Wilt Dasney

Fair enough, rsoxguy. I was thinking of the ToL purely in the context of Genesis. I had forgotten its mention at the other end of the book. :)

EPCOT Explorer

0mgZ!!1!! relijun iz n0T @ll0WD!!1!!:fork::fork:

/clicks report post
:lookaroun:lol:

No, I get what you are saying. It's a pretty cool metaphor and kudos for picking up on it.

mickeymaniacs

I had never thought of it but you do see a connection to the bible when you look at the tree because it is all about creation from all the animals carved into it. But that's not what floored me. There is a Christ topic and no one is freaking out by the comparison! I have seen places where you even think to mention something like this and people are freaking out! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! as a christian who loves Disney it is awesome to see there are really great ways to share our faith and our love of disney without getting into a huge debate. This is great to see. :sohappy:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Did someone mention a cloud dwelling space zombie?

6060-m.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom