The Town Center construction

G00fyDad

Disney Springs is a mall, not an outlet mall. An outlet mall sales items marked down from their original price. See http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/outlet-mall

I am well aware of what the "idea" behind an outlet mall is. Thank you. However, outlet malls are nowhere near marked down from an original price unless that store is having a sale at that particular time. Outlet malls have really just become satellite stores for name brands. I do remember when outlet malls were exactly as you think. They just aren't like that anymore. They may try to pretend to be by marking prices up and then "discounting" them but they are not what they used to be any more.

Ripken10

I am well aware of what the "idea" behind an outlet mall is. Thank you. However, outlet malls are nowhere near marked down from an original price unless that store is having a sale at that particular time. Outlet malls have really just become satellite stores for name brands. I do remember when outlet malls were exactly as you think. They just aren't like that anymore. They may try to pretend to be by marking prices up and then "discounting" them but they are not what they used to be any more.
Outlet malls in our area are exactly as defined by the link above - sale items marked down from the original place. My parents retired to an area in the country where it is the same thing. I can see Florida maybe being different, but overall the definition of the outlet mall still fits most areas.

G00fyDad

Outlet malls in our area are exactly as defined by the link above - sale items marked down from the original place. My parents retired to an area in the country where it is the same thing. I can see Florida maybe being different, but overall the definition of the outlet mall still fits most areas.

I am basing my assertions on the outlet malls in my area (Edinburgh, IN and Louisville, KY) and on the ones in Orlando. I would like to think that there are outlet malls in other areas that still hold onto the original idea of an outlet mall.

JohnWD

I'm squinting now! :) and BTW - you do like to argue as indicated by your post count! :)

Regardless of whether certain outlet malls do or do not have bargains, DS is a high end shopping mall, and to use "outlet mall" to describe it is misleading - "outlet mall" does not indicate "high end" or "first class" but more likely the opposite.

Some people on this board do not like what Disney has done at DS. They started using "shopping mall" to describe DS, implying something negative. But there is nothing negative about shopping mall and the label did not have the desired affect. The new derogatory term is outlet mall - is that how you are using it?

Jon81uk

I used to think the same thing. However, in Orlando, the outlet malls are a mix of discount stores and retail stores. So, I can see the confusion. I went to get sunglasses at the outlet mall just up the street from Disney and they only had $300 and up designer sunglasses. I asked where the "outlet" versions were and was told they were a full retail store.

Yes but the primary purpose of the outlet mall is to offer goods at discounted prices, it states on their website you can save 25% - 65%. The full price stores are the exception not the rule.
The primary purpose of Disney Springs is to sell full priced luxury goods.

This is why Disney operate their character warehouse stores at the Premium Outlet locations. If they had the cut-price outlet stores at Disney Springs it would stop people spending on the full-price goods.

G00fyDad

I'm squinting now! :) and BTW - you do like to argue as indicated by your post count! :)

Regardless of whether certain outlet malls do or do not have bargains, DS is a high end shopping mall, and to use "outlet mall" to describe it is misleading - "outlet mall" does not indicate "high end" or "first class" but more likely the opposite.

Some people on this board do not like what Disney has done at DS. They started using "shopping mall" to describe DS, implying something negative. But there is nothing negative about shopping mall and the label did not have the desired affect. The new derogatory term is outlet mall - is that how you are using it?

#1, Now in the world do you justify using my post count as an indicator that I "like to argue"? No offense, but that's just absolutely stupid. (Now who's squinting?) I've been an actively commenting member of these boards for over 11 years.

#2, My comments were never about DS. Go back and read them again. The person I was responding to may have been talking about DS but my entire content was directed at outlet malls in general.

#3, My comments about an outlet mall are not derogatory at all. I only point out that what people call an outlet mall these days is not what an outlet mall is truly meant to be.

JohnWD

Don't take this as an argument. Truly not trying to start one, but what kind of outlet malls do you have near you? Every outlet mall (including the ones there in Orlando) are nothing more than groupings of some over-priced mall shops. You want a $100 pair of sunglasses, a $300 purse, or a $200 pair of jeans? With an outlet mall you're in luck. That seems to be what is getting placed in DS. How is that different than a regular outlet mall?

#1, Now in the world do you justify using my post count as an indicator that I "like to argue"? No offense, but that's just absolutely stupid. (Now who's squinting?) I've been an actively commenting member of these boards for over 11 years.

#2, My comments were never about DS. Go back and read them again. The person I was responding to may have been talking about DS but my entire content was directed at outlet malls in general.

#3, My comments about an outlet mall are not derogatory at all. I only point out that what people call an outlet mall these days is not what an outlet mall is truly meant to be.
#1 - My bad! I apologize.
#2 - "With an outlet mall you're in luck. That seems to be what is getting placed in DS." I took this as to mean you think DS is similar to an outlet mall.
#3 - Ok!

JohnWD

Anyone want to meetup on the 15th for a walk around the new Disney Springs together? It would be nice to put some faces to usernames
Maybe you should post this in a new thread and propose a time. Maybe @WDWtraveler will be there taking pictures! We will be there, but we are arriving the night before, so I don't know if we will have recovered enough to show up.

djkidkaz

Surprised to see how dirty the springs can get after a storm:

Before:
image.png

After:
image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom