The Town Center construction

G00fyDad

Most small towns in Florida are a mishmash. Think of it as the "small town Florida that never was and always will be".

With sincere apologies to Mr Eisner for stealing his line.

I don't think you understand what I am talking about. The concept art shows facades of the same design/era/"feel". The way the Westside looks it seems to look like a trip down Sand Lake Rd by the Wal-Mart.

lazyboy97o

Does anyone else look at the concept art and then photos like the one below (credit: damouse.com) and think about how far off base the idea is going to look? In the concept art all of the buildings fit with the theme, then in these photos the store fronts/buildings like Harley Davidson and Candy Cauldron sort of mess up that overall theme. If this happens all the way across DS including the Town Center it will still feel as it does right now. A mishmash of shops all crammed together with no overall story.

View attachment 102993
The promotional art is showing Disney Springs in the "past." The story was created to justify anything and is self-defeating.

jt04

I don't think you understand what I am talking about. The concept art shows facades of the same design/era/"feel". The way the Westside looks it seems to look like a trip down Sand Lake Rd by the Wal-Mart.

I am not sure the Westside has been given the final treatment. Those facades would be easy to reimagine. I do understand what you are saying now. I expect there will be more changes with the new NBA venue. Time will tell.

G00fyDad

The promotional art is showing Disney Springs in the "past." The story was created to justify anything and is self-defeating.

Well then that is a shame. This could have been done so much better. I don;t really care about a story, but they should have resurfaced all of the facades to match the concept art. It will just look like a horribly busy street down any city in America if they leave it like that. All of the work they are doing is going to be wasted if they leave it like this. They should have just built more buildings and been done with it.

jt04

This may (I have no idea just a guess) be the substance of what they may be going for on the westside. And this was very much a part of the style of the sixties in Florida.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googie_architecture

jt04

Googie architeture is classic. Especially in such a setting. It is all over Citywalk. And the new resort at Uni is based on it.

G00fyDad

Googie architeture is classic. Especially in such a setting. It is all over Citywalk. And the new resort at Uni is based on it.

Disney is not Universal.

They should not be copying anyone else. They should have stuck with the theme in the concept art. That would have been stunning to see in real life. This operation appears to be getting half-a**ed.

lazyboy97o

Well then that is a shame. This could have been done so much better. I don;t really care about a story, but they should have resurfaced all of the facades to match the concept art. It will just look like a horribly busy street down any city in America if they leave it like that. All of the work they are doing is going to be wasted if they leave it like this. They should have just built more buildings and been done with it.
That is the story though, that this is an old town that have been revitalized as a shopping center.* A strong theme can't work while also attracting big, contemporary brands.

*Turning old, dying downtowns into shopping centers was a real concept tried in a few American cities and ended up failing rather spectacularly. It was called a festival marketplace and was developed by James Rouse, the man who declared Disneyland "the greatest example of urban design" in a speech at Harvard.

jt04

But that doesn't fit with any of the concept art, or the even current theme of the buildings.

The concept art as far as I have seen does not show the westside. It will all be part of the fictional town of Disney Springs. But it will have different districts with unique styles based on different architectural eras but stylized to make it visually diverse.

G00fyDad

That is the story though, that this is an old town that have been revitalized as a shopping center.* A strong theme can't work while also attracting big, contemporary brands.

*Turning old, dying downtowns into shopping centers was a real concept tried in a few American cities and ended up failing rather spectacularly. It was called a festival marketplace and was developed by James Rouse, the man who declared Disneyland "the greatest example of urban design" in a speech at Harvard.

There doesn't need to be a story. Just a cohesive theme to the look of all of the buildings.

Maybe it is just the OCD in me, but this is going to look like junk when it is done if they do not bring the look all together.

G00fyDad

The concept art as far as I have seen does not show the westside. It will all be part of the fictional town of Disney Springs. But it will have different districts with unique styles based on different architectural eras but stylized to make it visually diverse.

Really? Because the concept art for the entire project looks the same from one side to the other.

jt04

You are quite simply wrong. Perhaps this is a first. And that Disney has changed the game. Again.

jt04

There doesn't need to be a story. Just a cohesive theme to the look of all of the buildings.

Maybe it is just the OCD in me, but this is going to look like junk when it is done if they do not bring the look all together.

If such a massive district had one style it would be boring boring boring. No thanks.

jt04

Really? Because the concept art for the entire project looks the same from one side to the other.

The Edison looks nothing like the Boathouse which looks nothing like the reimagined Mannequins which looks nothing like the Riverboat which is nothing like Splitsville etc.

But it works in the context of the backstory. I am more impressed everday.

jt04

If such a massive district had theme after theme after theme that clashed against each other then it would, to me, be trash. No thanks.

Seems everyone is pleased judging by the crowds and the project being only half finished. Even the SavePI blog seems impressed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom