The Thrill is Gone

Just spent a week at WDW 1/1- 1/7. After 11 trips I think we are done. Disney is cutting corners in the wrong places.

Dining plan and food choices- Quick service plan now only provides 1 snack a day - it used to be 2 Very hard to eat healthy - most food is fried, and cold by the time you find a table. Desserts are cakes and sweets- would be nice if we could have fruit. Very few choices if you are on any special diet. We wound up buying food outside of the dining plan so we'd at least have a few decent meals.
Fast passes- you better get there during that window! They became sticklers for late arrivals and denied my child access to a ride. Even though we were delayed by the parade and couldn't get to the ride. Very rude customer service at the rides.
Shopping- overpriced and little variety. Expected more unusual stuff in Epcot. Cheezy Effiel towers at $35.00 in France that were made in China. Is that the best they can do?
They used to give 30% off coupons for shopping in morning. Reduced it to 20% and then gave us expired coupons that they would not honor.
Guest Relations- Very limited what they can do to help. They say they care but don't follow through on commitment.
FantasyLand- Really no big deal. They could have used the money to refurbish some of the dated rides.
Decorations- Every year at Christmas there would be the most beautiful decordations. You would hardly know it was Christmas. Each year there have been fewer decorations.

menamechris

We arent surprised it happened, we're surprised she is SURPRISED it happened. Like you said, it's been discussed adneausem, its a common theme.

The threads "threatening" to never return to disney, on a disney forum is hysterical.

You said it best, it's been talked about the quality of dinning plan......so she still pruchases it, then complains post trip that its quality was bad?!

The fast pass time change? Again, beaten to death. So why be surprised when you can't return AFTER the posted time?

That's the issue that I, and probably others, have with this and all of these types of threads. Its nothing new, just same old complaining.

BUT doesn't make the reaction or feeling upon leaving any less valid. I think the purpose of these trip report threads is to praise and properly criticize. I think a lot of people (even Disney vacation veterans) are booking trips they fully anticipate to enjoy and be "magical". Only upon experiencing it will many feel the incredible erosion that has been happening in Orlando. The "Something is missing here" feeling that many are reporting back is completely valid. I can't help but think a lot of people (not you necessarily) who are criticizing that have been experiencing WDW through YouTube and Disney websites - not actually being there...

Mr_Incredible

BUT doesn't make the reaction or feeling upon leaving any less valid. I think the purpose of these trip report threads is to praise and properly criticize. I think a lot of people (even Disney vacation veterans) are booking trips they fully anticipate to enjoy and be "magical". Only upon experiencing it will many feel the incredible erosion that has been happening in Orlando. The "Something is missing here" feeling that many are reporting back is completely valid. I can't help but think a lot of people (not you necessarily) who are criticizing that have been experiencing WDW through YouTube and Disney websites - not actually being there...
I know you said not me, but I just returned from 10 days 9 nights in September. I see the quality down from when I was a kid, the magic isnt as "powerful"....I get all that...but the stuff like dinning plan and fast pass, arent legitiment concerns imo, because they are well known, and well discussed. Disney doesnt MAKE you purchase the dinning plan. If you are going to make such an investment, you should research a bit.

And with fastpass, I have zero sympathy. The time is clearly printed, and gives you plenty of chance to return. It's not a useful means of doing anything if people can come and go as they please. It's a free service that Disneys main competition charges for. I can't understand the complaint.

menamechris

I know you said not me, but I just returned from 10 days 9 nights in September. I see the quality down from when I was a kid, the magic isnt as "powerful"....I get all that...but the stuff like dinning plan and fast pass, arent legitiment concerns imo, because they are well known, and well discussed. Disney doesnt MAKE you purchase the dinning plan. If you are going to make such an investment, you should research a bit.

And with fastpass, I have zero sympathy. The time is clearly printed, and gives you plenty of chance to return. It's not a useful means of doing anything if people can come and go as they please. It's a free service that Disneys main competition charges for. I can't understand the complaint.

Not arguing that someone should be well informed before arriving. But I didn't interpret that the OP didn't know what the dining plan was - as much as the chisled down version of it did not meet expectations. Sometimes we go into something with an open mind that maybe it's not that bad. If it doesn't meet a satisfaction level when we experience it - ya, we are going to be left with a bad taste in our mouth.

As far as FastPass - yes, I agree. Disney has every right to enforce whatever rules they place on it. But I equate it to bread service at a table service restaurant. Many restaurants don't offer it anymore - or you have to be getting certain entrees to receive it - as opposed to the old rule of thumb that every table gets a basket. FastPass used to be Disney's ultimate "flexibility" tool in the parks for guests. NOW - you can use it - but you have to follow these rules, which NextGen is making longer as we speak....

polynesiangirl

I will say that I think I may have been the only person on earth who actually followed the FastPass return time before they started enforcing it. I honestly didn't even know that they didn't really enforce it before until I started seeing posts about it (I mean, I figured they probably weren't huge sticklers about it, but I never thought to try.) I feel like the lamest Girl Scout goody-two-shoes ever now. ;)

Also I fully respect the right of all posters to air their opinions here, though I will say the negativity on this forum these days (some of which I fully understand, truly,) really bums me out and makes me feel bad about enjoying my Disney vacations.

Disneyhead'71

And I think that a lot of folks here at WDWMAGIC see the problems, but are really trying to ignore them for the sake of trying not to let the constant drum beat of negativity rain on their very expensive vacations. They would simply rather focus on what's right other than what's wrong.

Others would simply rather explore other options until most of the issues are corrected. And the issues will be corrected. It's an ebb and flow thing. I've seen both DLR and UOR shine, then not so much, then shine again. WDW will turn around, but until then there is nothing wrong with seeing the rest of the world.

Mr_Incredible

I will say that I think I may have been the only person on earth who actually followed the FastPass return time before they started enforcing it. I honestly didn't even know that they didn't really enforce it before until I started seeing posts about it (I mean, I figured they probably weren't huge sticklers about it, but I never thought to try.) I feel like the lamest Girl Scout goody-two-shoes ever now. ;)

Also I fully respect the right of all posters to air their opinions here, though I will say the negativity on this forum these days (some of which I fully understand, truly,) really bums me out and makes me feel bad about enjoying my Disney vacations.
I always came back on time too. Not till I joined these boards till I found out how lienent they were. I remember as a kid, my dad dragging us throughout tomorrowland to get to space mountain on time! haha

polynesiangirl

And I think that a lot of folks here at WDWMAGIC see the problems, but are really trying to ignore them for the sake of trying not to let the constant drum beat of negativity rain on their very expensive vacations.

I think I just have started to take some of the negativity personally, because the vibe I get from certain posts is that if X issue isn't as big a deal to me as it is to them, then clearly I'm an easily-impressed or gullible moron who doesn't see how obviously inferior every single thing at WDW is now. It's not like I (or probably most people here, I would guess) think everything is perfect or that Disney makes no mistakes, but I feel like I occasionally need to point out here that the fact that I still like vacationing at WDW (in addition to the other places we travel to) doesn't automatically make me stupid.

As you say, some people would rather go elsewhere these days, and that's absolutely fine by me. It's just the whole vibe of "ugh the place is such a trash heap now and everything is a rip off" that comes out of some of those posts that makes me feel very judged. :(

ExtinctJenn

My two cents... if I went on a trip expecting one thing and experiencing another, I'd have a bad taste in my mouth too. To me that's why planning is so key. I am a member of these forums and follow multiple Disney News sites to ensure that I am aware of what policies are and have an opportunity to ask about those I don't completely understand. That way, when I arrive, I know what has to be done to ensure a great trip is had by everyone!

Now... I have to echo some of the above sentiments too... it's hard to judge a poor experience based on being forced to follow the rules. It's all about perspective.
Personally, if I got to the FP queue on time and saw a family in front of me who arrived late get let in, I'd be the one complaining. I'd bet the OP would be upset if she arrived on time and found a long line in front of her only to learn they were all people who the CM let in after their "expiration." Of course we all want our vacations at Disney to be magical and want to believe that the CMs are there to help to that end but they are also there to enforce rules. The rules are there to help to ensure everyone is treated fairly and, when followed, everyone has the best experience possible.

mickey2008.1

WDW is what you make of it. You have to plan, even though we might not like it, it has to be done. With the new Mymagic stuff, it is going to take a lot more planning, but if done right, it should work out well. We are going in September and i have already loaded all the apps on to my iphone and android tablet. The two spps are similar, but do have different set ups, with the iphone being more complete. It will take disney time to make it all work, but with this knowledge i will know what device to use, and make my trip best as possible. I am in the restaurant businiess as a chef, and I am very picky about the quality of, so i exp[ect high standards at signature dining, TS restaurants i compare to an applebees type quality, and QS, compared to an upperscale fast food place like chipotle or Five guys burgers. And for the most part, it right on target for what we expect. As for resorts, it goes the same for what you pay, but it should always be clean, regardless of price. Plan, research, and plan again.

flynnibus

Premium Member
wow - some downright nasty people in this thread.

It's a crime or character flaw to be disappointed now?

Where did the OP ever say she was blindsided by changes..?? she was disappointed in the execution and end results.

And I love that people complain about NextGen requiring too much planning.. and people try to slam the OP here because she didn't plan 'enough'. Classic.

And the old 'Disney has always been expensive..' really isn't justification that someone can't be upset with prices. I bought a hat and scarf to be warm while at DLR last week.. It cost me nearly $45 dollars. That's insane. Almost $30 for a simple tshirt.

People used to say 'well its like that at all sporting events.. concerts.. etc' - Disney has blown past those other types of captive audiences for the most part with prices.

I wanted to buy a lot more.. but the prices are just repulsive.

Thought going to Blue Bayou would be nice for us to celebrate.. but not at $30-$45 a plate.

sweetpee_1993

I'm right with the OP. My last trip to WDW (Sept. 2011) I left sorely disappointed in the overall experience. It was the summation of many, many things. Lucky for me, we also had our 1st Disney cruise during that trip so in my heart all was not lost. I found where I could get that ever-so-awesome magical feeling...and it's not at WDW right now.

Whether readers agree or not, the OP is entitled to their feelings so I'll be pro-OP on this one.

To the OP, I hear ya. We felt the same way for our own laundry list of reasons as previously mentioned. ((I grew up in Central Florida...loooooong time visitor...1 or more trips per year with the family since 2004)) Know that there's more Disney to be had outside of Central Florida. WDW isn't the end-all/be-all by far. Maybe give some other Disney experiences a try. It worked for us! ;)

ratherbeinwdw

With all it's faults, and there are many, the joy and love is still there for me. I can't wait to get back there. We haven't been since September, which is the longest between trips for us in a while, and I'm having Disney withdrawal. I guess that's why so many of us stay on this site so much.
I love WDW. While there, I can forget the problems of daily life and be at peace. Of course, the problems are still there when you get home, but that time of rejuvenation is a gift.

ratherbeinwdw

,I'd love to put my two cents in also,but Ive just had surgery to remove bullets from my flak jacket on a recent thread. All I'am going to say is when the time has come to leave the magic,then by all means move on.Its not a small world after all,it's huge.Go and explore and enjoy.;)
Wow Hatter. What have you been saying to get people after you.

Disneyhead'71

I find it interesting that some have the point of view that the OP had unrealistic expectations and didn't research enough. It was her 11th WDW vacation. How much research does one need to do for their 11th trip to the same place. And I believe that her expectations were set by 10 previous experiences at that particular vacation destination.

And with the OP being a low post count new member, I suspect that us "Doom and Gloomers" most likely didn't effect her stay. I would venture to say that she is a "casual tourist", who on her 11th trip, simply found that WDW has changed in a way that she finds disappointing. The fact that some of the things that she mentioned are the same things that us "Doom and Gloomers" are disappointed with is probably not a conspiracy. But confirmation, at least to us D&Gers, that maybe we aren't morons.

Disneyhead'71

Really Mad hatter might want to switch to decaf.

And as I pointed out, We have moved on. Here are a couple of snaps from a recent long weekend trip:

This ain't the Poly (Marriott Key Largo)

1zw29m0.jpg

But this IS the Living Seas and my 2 daughters preparing to swim in it:

14lkjux.jpg

And just for fun, the elusive smile on a teenage girl (back at the Marriott):

2r2n1br.jpg

And a kiss good night:

eg2ryo.jpg

We may have left the "Magic®", but we found something really magical.

sweetpee_1993

,I'd love to put my two cents in also,but Ive just had surgery to remove bullets from my flak jacket on a recent thread. All I'am going to say is when the time has come to leave the magic,then by all means move on.Its not a small world after all,it's huge.Go and explore and enjoy.;)

Not sure about the other thread, no clue what/where it even is, but I'll pluck from your post, Hatter, what I agree with. If you find WDW isn't "doing it" for you for the time being (**note that I don't say "anymore" because one should never say never**) then by all means branch out and celebrate a new-to-you or return-to other vacations including Disney's other options. Not a thing in the world wrong with that.

Just as people return from trips gushing and pouring over with MAGICal adoration, sometimes people come home with a different sentiment. That's okay, too. If nobody ever talks about the other sentiments or experiences regardless of why then those people in the minority might feel like there's something wrong that they didn't have the gushy-gush experience they see so often. Sometimes being able to sort it out in writing/typing can help people reflect and make peace with their emotions about what they experienced. ((I'm definitely the write/type to find my peace & purpose person!)) That's okay, too. The point is, just because a person's experiences or impressions are different from the majority doesn't make them wrong. If something bothered them, regardless of what it was, then that's legitimate. Maybe instead of saying "Well that's your own fault because you didn't do your homework!" one could say, "I hate that you didn't realize the policy had changed on _(date)__. Maybe now that you are aware it wouldn't be a disappointment in the future. Have you seen what Disney has coming with the new MyDisney+/FP+?" See how the delivery is different? Come at someone negative and you'll get negative. Come at someone positive and you'll get positive. ;)

real mad hatter

Really Mad hatter might want to switch to decaf.

And as I pointed out, We have moved on. Here are a couple of snaps from a recent long weekend trip:

This ain't the Poly (Marriott Key Largo)

1zw29m0.jpg

But this IS the Living Seas and my 2 daughters preparing to swim in it:

14lkjux.jpg

And just for fun, the elusive smile on a teenage girl (back at the Marriott):

2r2n1br.jpg

And a kiss good night:

eg2ryo.jpg

We may have left the "Magic®", but we found something really magical.
. Excellent..Glad for you..I also have photos of other magical lands from Dubai to Mexico that we have many fond memories.But since this is a Disney site,I won't bore you with the family pics.

real mad hatter

kbelle, I am with you but you aren't going to get much sympathy here on WDWMAGIC. Disney taught me how to travel and I love their resorts so I looked toward the hotels that inspired their resorts when looking at spending my money elsewhere. And we have had a blast exploring this great country.

First, for our destination theme park vacations it's Disneyland Resort for the Disney Parks experience WDW no longer provides. Otherwise it's Universal Orlando Resort with a stay at the Portofino Bay Resort. Last summer we went snorkeling off of Key Largo and it was amazing. And the National Parks are always a great vacation. And I have found so many suitable substitutions for the Disney Resorts that I can make suggestions for any of them. And all of them have cool real world activities to go with them.

http://www.hoteldel.com/

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/old-faithful-inn-96.html

http://www.yosemitepark.com/the-ahwahnee.aspx

http://www.greenbrier.com/

http://www.cheeca.com/

http://www.littlepalmisland.com/

http://www.tenayalodge.com/

http://www.theinnatkeywest.com/

http://www.gardenshotel.com/

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycmq-new-york-marriott-marquis/

Just name your favorite Disney Resort and I'll find one to match it
. .. Yawn....:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom