The Thrill is Gone

Just spent a week at WDW 1/1- 1/7. After 11 trips I think we are done. Disney is cutting corners in the wrong places.

Dining plan and food choices- Quick service plan now only provides 1 snack a day - it used to be 2 Very hard to eat healthy - most food is fried, and cold by the time you find a table. Desserts are cakes and sweets- would be nice if we could have fruit. Very few choices if you are on any special diet. We wound up buying food outside of the dining plan so we'd at least have a few decent meals.
Fast passes- you better get there during that window! They became sticklers for late arrivals and denied my child access to a ride. Even though we were delayed by the parade and couldn't get to the ride. Very rude customer service at the rides.
Shopping- overpriced and little variety. Expected more unusual stuff in Epcot. Cheezy Effiel towers at $35.00 in France that were made in China. Is that the best they can do?
They used to give 30% off coupons for shopping in morning. Reduced it to 20% and then gave us expired coupons that they would not honor.
Guest Relations- Very limited what they can do to help. They say they care but don't follow through on commitment.
FantasyLand- Really no big deal. They could have used the money to refurbish some of the dated rides.
Decorations- Every year at Christmas there would be the most beautiful decordations. You would hardly know it was Christmas. Each year there have been fewer decorations.

real mad hatter

You sound tired, I can suggest a nice hotel.
No thanks,had a nice sleep.I wasn't being rude about your photos,they look awesome and I agree there is more to life than Disney.However been there,done it,got the T- Shirt to prove it.As far as nice hotels go,I can recommend the " Burj Al Arab " in Dubai. We paid approx 10.000.000 Dirhams for one night,room only ( breakfast extra ) Thats about $1.200.00 in your money. ;)

Disneyhead'71

No thanks,had a nice sleep.I wasn't being rude about your photos,they look awesome and I agree there is more to life than Disney.However been there,done it,got the T- Shirt to prove it.As far as nice hotels go,I can recommend the " Burj Al Arab " in Dubai. We paid approx 10.000.000 Dirhams for one night,room only ( breakfast extra ) Thats about $1.200.00 in your money. ;)
No problem. I have heard the "Burj" is amazing. It's on my "Bucket List".

I simply love traveling and seeing the world. I LOVE WDW, I grew up going there, and it is disappointing that, at this time, it's no kicking on all cylinders. They will fix it. And I will go back. To be honest, I would suggest to anyone that if they are taking yearly trips to WDW and not really anywhere else, that maybe they should try other places and cut the WDW trips to every other year. I understand that there is a comfort in familiarity. But it's a great big world that has SO MUCH to offer that not taking advantage of the ability to see it just seems to be a shame to me. But it's their time and money, so I don't judge, just suggest. Most people have limited time and money and would rather stick with someplace they know will provide a quality experience. I get that. I, personally, don't mind taking chances. I love an adventure. And to quite honest, I can't see a lot of the Disney Demo jumping out of a boat into the uncontrolled environment that is the open ocean. But it can't hurt to suggest it.

HatboxGhost

Just spent a week at WDW 1/1- 1/7. After 11 trips I think we are done. Disney is cutting corners in the wrong places.

Dining plan and food choices- Quick service plan now only provides 1 snack a day - it used to be 2 Very hard to eat healthy - most food is fried, and cold by the time you find a table. Desserts are cakes and sweets- would be nice if we could have fruit. Very few choices if you are on any special diet. We wound up buying food outside of the dining plan so we'd at least have a few decent meals.

When we stayed at Pop Century in November, there were a good deal of healthy snacks. Bananas, apples, etc.

Fast passes- you better get there during that window! They became sticklers for late arrivals and denied my child access to a ride. Even though we were delayed by the parade and couldn't get to the ride. Very rude customer service at the rides.

Maybe I sound like an but I think an hour time frame is pretty fair...especially when you get the pass 2-3 hours before you can use it. If I were a CM and had to deal with tons of people coming up to me late I would lose my mind. Its not the CM's fault that you are late....it is yours.

Shopping- overpriced and little variety. Expected more unusual stuff in Epcot. Cheezy Effiel towers at $35.00 in France that were made in China. Is that the best they can do?
They used to give 30% off coupons for shopping in morning. Reduced it to 20% and then gave us expired coupons that they would not honor.

I know going into Disney that a normal t shirt that you can get at Wal Mart for five bucks will be jacked up in price x5. It sucks.....I know..... so that is why I keep my shirt purchases to a minimum.

Guest Relations- Very limited what they can do to help. They say they care but don't follow through on commitment.
FantasyLand- Really no big deal. They could have used the money to refurbish some of the dated rides.

Agreed, not really too thrilled with the new expansion.

Decorations- Every year at Christmas there would be the most beautiful decordations. You would hardly know it was Christmas. Each year there have been fewer decorations.

kbelle

Original Poster
To answer the question about the staff- they were rude.

I do feel Disney is taking customers for granted. There is not a lot of competition for this type of family experience.

It looks like on this forum that the Disney dust must have set in. You cannot post anything that is less than magical. Perhaps we have to change the thread to Magical Trip Reports, versus Trip Reports.

HatboxGhost

It looks like on this forum that the Disney dust must have set in. You cannot post anything that is less than magical. Perhaps we have to change the thread to Magical Trip Reports, versus Trip Reports.
There are a number of things that I can post about my vacation at Disney that was less than magical. Granted, MOST of them would be about the other guests at the parks who have no common sense OR common courtesy but that would be another topic. I can honestly say that I really had no problems with the CMs but then again I FOLLOWED THE RULES like showing up on time with my FP ticket and as to not put a CM in a position to break the rules. The same rules that he or she was told by their Manager NOT TO break.
Also, I am a NEW member. I didnt feel the need to come in full blown about every little problem.

ExtinctJenn

To answer the question about the staff- they were rude.

I do feel Disney is taking customers for granted. There is not a lot of competition for this type of family experience.

I am all for negativity on the forums and in fact encourage it... as long as it's valid. I am a member here because I know that I will get the good, the bad and the ugly from a great cross section of people who all have one thing in common... we are Disney fans. I'd much prefer to go into my vacation knowing that a certain experience is subpar and to avoid it or that a new policy has been inacted that I may not like. The key though I think is you will often receive negative reactions when what you are negative about is being forced to follow the rules.

I'll give you an example... on another forum ages ago I posted up a question about essentially getting around the rules in place regarding the number of people that can stay in a value resort sized room. I was bashed immediately for asking how I could get around a policy. I didn't judge the people who responded to me, even though many were nasty, because they had a point. It's one thing to complain that you received poor service from mousekeeping or say waited 30 minutes before a server came to your table at a restaurant but it's another thing entirely to complain that you weren't able to get around rules/policies that are in place to make everyone's experience on property equal and fair. It's not that we members only accept positive happy pixie dust posts. We've all had our share of bad experiences on property and share them to essentially vent. But many, like me, have also had bad experiences that were the result of someone getting away with something they shouldn't and that ultimately puts a bad taste in your mouth when it happens. It's nothing personal, not many people here actually know each other for anything to be personal in fact. It's just the simple fact that in most situations, Disney vacation or not, folks will give little sympathy when someone is upset they weren't allowed leniency on a policy.

Goofnut1980

Is it me or isn't vacation just supposed to be fun and relaxing. Go and have a good time. Who the heck cares if something isn't perfect. And by who's definition is what perfect? I love that place...

Also, I missed my return window by 15 minutes for Space Mountain and I said, oops missed that one.. Oh well... The CM looked at me, smiled, and said, go ahead... I thought that was amazing of her! She didn't have to, but I also didn't nag and complain. I accepted I wasn't going to ride then. And the magic of Disney, she let me ride! Yay

sam_disney

Ok I understand certain parts to your post. I have been lucky enough to travel to disney world for 2 weeks at a time, since 1998. I must admit disney have started to 'cut a few corners' since I started travelling there.

My main annoyance are things such as.. The Land and Backlot Tour- no personalised touch anymore because they use a recording rather than a real live person doing the commentary. Things like that annoy me- because I personally think it takes away the 'personal' touch. I also think, some food choices are not as good as they once were, however some have improved for the better. I have other little pet peeves, but only because I remember how some things used to be- and how they have changed now- which may in my opinion not be for the better.

HOWEVER... In terms of the things you have complained about.. the snack thing yes its rather annoying they have changed this to 1 snack and not 2- in terms of value, but like many have pointed out- thats what it is now- no point really complaining.

The fast pass thing- I can understand to a point, because you feel the parade trapped you to getting there for the right time. However as you pointed out- you have visited disney enough times to know the schedule and location of the parade route and therefore should have ensured you were at the right side of the park for the attraction you had a fast pass for! Not taking away the disney magic at all- that's your own fault for sure.

The christmas thing is hilarious- I went for my honeymoon in 2011 christmas week and visited early december in 2008. I have also visited end of november time back in the early 00's and t has never changed! There is plenty of disney christmas decorations EVERYWHERE!

The one thing that will and never change at disney - is the feeling you get being there and the magic inside. You cannot tell me that wishes/ illuminations, riding your favourite attractions, the smells, the atmosphere is not magical anymore!

PS. not trying to get at you for your opinion- you're very much entitled to it. But the actual points are a little ridiculous- if you had been given, an awful room, had a bad experience from cast members etc and discussed them properly maybe we could all understand a little better?

Oh and PP.S no I haven't always had the best holidays there, and yes I have also had bad service from certain cast members, but it didn't ruin my entire trip or attitude towards disney world.

alissafalco

Did you get the chance to go to the China Pavilion? I heard everything there was authentic. ;)

Blufusion

Blufusion

Here's my reply on this sometimes doing something the 1st time is great. For me my 1st WDW experience was in 1982. Just the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT was just about to open up. I had want to go to WDW since I was 12yo. But my family could not afford that kind of money. When I started my career the 1st paid vacation I got I went for 4 days stayed in LBV Travel Lodge Hotel. And had a blast. Over 20 yrs. later I visited almost every year in the 80's and it was different and new to me and who ever went with me always.I have stayed at CR, FQPO,and Fort Wilderness campgrounds. I have stayed at the Buena Vista Palace and the Hilton and the Royal Plaza during those time from 1985 to 1997. I have had mostly good times . Because I was not gotta let anyone tell me what my vacation needs to be for me to be happy. The last trip I took by myself in 1997 I had been laid off from my job of 16 yrs. and took time off for me . I had the money and I decided I need some time for me to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. So I decided to stay 10 day at Fort Wilderness and camp out during Oct. For me at that time It was GREAT for me. I could go to the parks then get away and just chill out at my campsite. NO TV or anything like time to think. It was great for 10 days. I came home still had money and got a new and better job right before my unemployment ran out. Each trip is different and Magical It's just your attitude of how you approach your trip. When me and my partner went in 2002 and the day we go to Animal Kingdom . 20 minutes into the visit I had a heart attack. And was very well taken care of by Disney and Celebration Hospital. That could have happened anywhere or time. I was ok after a few days in the hospital. But I was more worried about him than me. I told him to go have some fun while iI was in the hospital. I wasn't going anywhere loaded ip on morphine. He would see me everyday for a few hrs. and go out and do a few things and come back for a few hrs then back to hotel for a rest We had to make some changes and the day after the attack we were supposed to leave. We only had limited funds and we had to drive back to Washington DC. Disney let him stay at FQPO without any charges until I was released. They did treat us well and they didn't have to do that and I never sued them cause it wasn't their fault. We moved to Saint Petersburg Florida and are 90 mins away and we have been back to Disney and Orlando 2 times in 8 yrs. We are not tired of it we just know what we want to do and do it. Last yr. we had the chance to go to Hawaii. After 4 yrs.of being near death we got my disability after 35 yrs. of working. I had wanted to go to WDW and do it up like I wanted to. Stay at the Contemporary and all that Magical stuff. But he work's for Marriott and we were able to go to Oahu and spend 8 nights at the Marriotts Ko Olina 5 star resort,rental car for 8 days,round trip airfare for 2 and we stayed in a villa over looking the ocean plus we had a 1 Hr helicopter flight over Oahu all for a total for both of us for $4000.00. Yes, $4000.00 . And we were within walking distance of Disney's Aulani and we checked for room rates there and it would have cost that much just for a room. Reason why I saying this is. I went to Aulani to check it out and yes it's nice . But I saw of a lot of unhappy adults and kids not enjoying themselves cause they were spending so MUCH for that Magical Perfect Vacation. That will never happen. There will alway be something not right. I will go back to WDW and Orlando next yr. And we know what we want to do and we will go with the flow. I still like WDW. But in all the times I have been there I have never ever been able to do everything I wanted to do . But thats ok I learned save it for next time and enjoy what you can do. Maybe these people have been so many times they need a new experiance in their lives.And do something else for vacation and see that there are other places in this world just as Magical . But that Magic is what GOD has made for us to see naturally. Do we always need something made by mankind to make us happy ?. No seeing the sunrise and sunset in the Pacific Ocean while having a cocktail with the one I love and meeting and talking to people that are there for the same reason in Hawaii. Which for most of them they had done Disney to death for them and we did have a few conversations about Disney and the way it's not like it was or could be ever again and I knew I can afford to do what I came to do and more and not put the pressure of the perfect vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom