Trip Report The Summer Adventure Continues....Our Live Disneyland Report Begins!

The morning we leave for Disneyland has come. We have spent the last six days in Arizona visiting my brother-in-law and doing some site-seeing. We spent some time in Phoenix where we visited our first water park,

DSC07097
by coachwnh, on Flickr

Cave Creek,

DSC07114
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC07111
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC07107
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC07103
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC07115
by coachwnh, on Flickr

Flagstaff,

and the Grand Canyon!!!!!

DSC07162
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC07127
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC07188
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC07165
by coachwnh, on Flickr

The Grand Canyon Elk

DSC07146
by coachwnh, on Flickr

DSC07133
by coachwnh, on Flickr

Can't think of a more beautiful spot I've been to. Amazing!!

DSC07174
by coachwnh, on Flickr

Last edited:

coachwnh

Original Poster
OK. We had one negative experience the entire week and it was today at breakfast. We arrived about 5 minutes late for our 9 am ADR. They were very nice as I explained we were checking out. They sat us quickly (less then 5 minutes).

Now here is were it went down hill. The restaurant at no time was more then 2/3 full. If you have never been there, for comparison, you could fit at least 3 or 4 of this place into Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary (its not bog at all). There were 5 characters, 4 of which visited the table (you met Mickey after check in).

After 45 minutes, we met a grand total of one (Mickey at check in). By this time, the bill arrived and my wife had left as she had hoped to take the kids to CA to buy some sour dough bread at the bakery, but went alone. She had texted me that she walked to the bakery, rode the Little Mermaid :) one last time and was on her way back. I told her she could probably meet us at the breakfast since we were still waiting for some (really all).

As I paid the bill, I mentioned this nicely to our server, and he said he would mention this to someone. An already long story summed up, we waited over 90 minutes and didn't meet all five. Normally, this wouldn't bother me, but it was our last day there and I had hoped it would a great experience for the kids.

One thing for sure, the resort character breakfasts we did (Storytellers and Surfs Up) had good food, but the character organization is far from the well oiled machine it is in WDW.

To add one final slap in the face, as we walked out my wife asked if we could get at least one more picture of the kids with Mickey (we did purchase two pictures at the breakfast, one with the kids and one with all of us). There was nobody waiting to get a picture with him. The woman actually rolled her eyes (never saw this in WDW on any trip...ever) and said "Make it quick." Exactly as typed. Not ok. Not sure. Not, well we're not supposed to, but ok. Just, "make it quick." Whatever, right.

Overall, we had a great time, and this one cranky woman can't ruin the experience we had. My only suggestion to those seeking a great character breakfast, go to the Plaza in Disneyland. Been there two straight summers and both were amazing!

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

OK. We had one negative experience the entire week and it was today at breakfast. We arrived about 5 minutes late for our 9 am ADR. They were very nice as I explained we were checking out. They sat us quickly (less then 5 minutes).

Now here is were it went down hill. The restaurant at no time was more then 2/3 full. If you have never been there, for comparison, you could fit at least 3 or 4 of this place into Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary (its not bog at all). There were 5 characters, 4 of which visited the table (you met Mickey after check in).

After 45 minutes, we met a grand total of one (Mickey at check in). By this time, the bill arrived and my wife had left as she had hoped to take the kids to CA to buy some sour dough bread at the bakery, but went alone. She had texted me that she walked to the bakery, rode the Little Mermaid :) one last time and was on her way back. I told her she could probably meet us at the breakfast since we were still waiting for some (really all).

As I paid the bill, I mentioned this nicely to our server, and he said he would mention this to someone. An already long story summed up, we waited over 90 minutes and didn't meet all five. Normally, this wouldn't bother me, but it was our last day there and I had hoped it would a great experience for the kids.

One thing for sure, the resort character breakfasts we did (Storytellers and Surfs Up) had good food, but the character organization is far from the well oiled machine it is in WDW.

To add one final slap in the face, as we walked out my wife asked if we could get at least one more picture of the kids with Mickey (we did purchase two pictures at the breakfast, one with the kids and one with all of us). There was nobody waiting to get a picture with him. The woman actually rolled her eyes (never saw this in WDW on any trip...ever) and said "Make it quick." Exactly as typed. Not ok. Not sure. Not, well we're not supposed to, but ok. Just, "make it quick." Whatever, right.

Overall, we had a great time, and this one cranky woman can't ruin the experience we had. My only suggestion to those seeking a great character breakfast, go to the Plaza in Disneyland. Been there two straight summers and both were amazing!

I really hope you plan on complaining. You are planning on making a complaint, right?

donaldtoo

Good is right. As a Disney Store CM, I leave my daily stuff at the door when I walk into the Store and put on my best Magical. I work as an architectural designer for a firm 40+ hours a week (we have a project in Dubai that's fixin' to break good, and when it does, I may have to give my notice... :() and TDS is my weekend gig 'cause I, obviously, LOVE me some Disney...! :)
There is NO excuse for the rolling of eyes...NONE.
And before anyone poo poos the fact that I don't work at a Disney Park/resort...the expectations are just as high. Our demographic runs the gamut from those that have been on Disney trips a hundred times to those that will never be able to afford to go. Children run into our Store on a daily basis, so excited, yelling... "It's Disney World!!!".
Anyway, follow up on that (as I know you will), 'cause Walt DEFINITELY would NOT have approved...!!! :cool: ;)

DisSplash

This was an awesome trip report! I have only been to Disneyland once back in 1988 -- so clearly I am due for a return trip now. My kids have popped in here asking questions about what I was reading and when told them it was your family's DL trip, they immediately wanted to know when they were going to go to DL "like those people?!" ;) It was just a "someday possibility" in my mind, but now after reading your TR, I think we definitely need to get this on the family vacation schedule. I am thinking 2015 may be do-able! Btw, did you drive all the way out there? We are East coast and drive to WDW all the time, so we are not afraid of a little "Grizwald Family Drive" cross-country ....:happy:

coachwnh

Original Poster
This was an awesome trip report! I have only been to Disneyland once back in 1988 -- so clearly I am due for a return trip now. My kids have popped in here asking questions about what I was reading and when told them it was your family's DL trip, they immediately wanted to know when they were going to go to DL "like those people?!" ;) It was just a "someday possibility" in my mind, but now after reading your TR, I think we definitely need to get this on the family vacation schedule. I am thinking 2015 may be do-able! Btw, did you drive all the way out there? We are East coast and drive to WDW all the time, so we are not afraid of a little "Grizwald Family Drive" cross-country ....:happy:
We flew from Newark to Phoenix. My brother in law lives there. We drove to CA from Phoenix. Gorgeous drive!

coachwnh

Original Poster
Thank you sooo much for a live insight into Dl and DCA.
32 Days for us, please send us your good luck pixie dust as you had so much of it while you were there.
When is your next trip and to where?
Safe travels home to you all:happy:
WDW October 17-21. Doing the Halloween party for the first time. We will be staying at the Grand Floridian. Looking forward to it already. Only 67 more days!

coachwnh

Original Poster
Good is right. As a Disney Store CM, I leave my daily stuff at the door when I walk into the Store and put on my best Magical. I work as an architectural designer for a firm 40+ hours a week (we have a project in Dubai that's fixin' to break good, and when it does, I may have to give my notice... :() and TDS is my weekend gig 'cause I, obviously, LOVE me some Disney...! :)
There is NO excuse for the rolling of eyes...NONE.
And before anyone poo poos the fact that I don't work at a Disney Park/resort...the expectations are just as high. Our demographic runs the gamut from those that have been on Disney trips a hundred times to those that will never be able to afford to go. Children run into our Store on a daily basis, so excited, yelling... "It's Disney World!!!".
Anyway, follow up on that (as I know you will), 'cause Walt DEFINITELY would NOT have approved...!!! :cool: ;)
My cousin just moved to Austin. He is a structural engineer who just spent two years working in the Middle East as well. Best of luck to you!

donaldtoo

My cousin just moved to Austin. He is a structural engineer who just spent two years working in the Middle East as well. Best of luck to you!

A LOT of folks are moving down this way 'cause it's startin' to boom big again. We're one of the fastest growing areas of the country. Good for business, but, boy howdy, it's gettin' crowded down here...! :confused:
I would not be working in Dubai, it's just a project that we, hopefully, will be doing in Dubai. The deadline for completion would be quite tight, so that would be the reason I would need to give notice at TDS. I could simply take a leave of absence, but I really need to let go of the CM thing anyway...family (DW and kiddos) and I thought it would be kinda' good to hang onto it 'cause of all the discounts and stuff, but, between that and my regular job, I don't get a single full day off all week, and there are too many more important things being neglected (family, home, etc.).

Anyway, thanks!
And, as per usual, it's been a hoot following along on your trip, again! Definitely lookin' forward to your next one, if you decide to do it!
Thanks, again...!!! :)

Last edited:

coachwnh

Original Poster
A LOT of folks are moving down this way 'cause it's startin' to boom big again. We're one of the fastest growing areas of the country. Good for business, but, boy howdy, it's gettin' crowded down here...! :confused:
I would not be working in Dubai, it's just a project that we, hopefully, will be doing in Dubai. The deadline for completion would be quite tight, so that would be the reason I would need to give notice at TDS. I could simply take a leave of absence, but I really need to let go of the CM thing anyway...family (DW and kiddos) and I thought it would be kinda' good to hang onto it 'cause of all the discounts and stuff, but, between that and my regular job, I don't get a single full day off all week, and there are too many more important things being neglected (family, home, etc.).

Anyway, thanks!
And, as per usual, it's been a hoot following along on your trip, again! Definitely lookin' forward to your next one, if you decide to do it!
Thanks, again...!!! :)
Best of luck and thank you for taking the time! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom