Trip Report The Story Comes ALIVE! *COMPLETED*

Hello again, my friends.

For nearly a decade it has been such a joy for me to write about 50 (yes, 50!) different trips that I have taken to WDW - including one that was virtual. ;)

The reason? You, the reader.

I don’t do trip reports for my own documentation. I have journals for that. I write because I love interacting with y’all. Your encouragement, humor, curiosity and even snark (*ahem* @amjt660) assure me that I am not alone in my crazy affection for Disney parks. A big thanks to each of you!

I am very fortunate to be a frequent visitor to WDW (despite what @Mr Ferret 88 believes, I do not live there!) and am entering a season of monthly visits. Trip reporting is time consuming (as those of you who’ve written can attest) but I’m not ready to completely give it up - yet.

What I’d like to do is keep this as an ongoing TR for the rest of 2023. It will be highlights and moments, with live posting as the goal. My story coming alive, so to speak.

First up is spring break with my favorite girl.

AA48F088-9593-431D-9863-5A1CC9431BEF.jpeg

Followed closely by a getaway with my favorite guy.

22534EF9-828F-43F6-A922-359B962CEC72.jpeg

There will be Magician meets. New experiences. And (as always) the unexpected.

I hope you’ll join the fun!

sheriffwoody

Whoever designed the tower should be required to stay in one of the weird window view rooms each time they stay there!

But since that is unlikely to happen, I suggest Disney make those views a lower price category so guests are not “surprised” when they enter their room. Kind of a “you get what you pay for” thing.

Sadly, I think that won’t happen either. I was able to manage my disappointment for one night, but any longer would have been an annoyance for sure.
Luckily since it was a trip with the kid, I wasn't that upset. She didn't care and most of the time spent in the room was napping and sleeping anyway. Now if I have a bad view on my upcoming adult-only trip, I'll be so upset!! The Swan better come through for me :hilarious:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

We’d only been in our room a little over an hour when my phone buzzed with the eviction notification.

Seriously? I know we were only spending one night but it did seem a bit premature.

Oh well. At least we both were cleaned up and ready for a nice dinner. We didn’t have to go far.

IMG_6395.jpeg

Em and I had raved to Woody about our meal here last month and he wanted to give the place a try. The first thing that struck me was how empty the restaurant was - no Girl Scout convention this visit! We were seated in a room on the left side, away from the windows.

IMG_1368.jpeg

It felt very private. #ShirleyStatus for real this time.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I was craving a frozen drink. When our server said mango smoothie, I was all in!

Then he returned with bad news. No mango. My only option was Piña Colada. It did the job, but I would have preferred mango.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

(On the upside it was my third - and last - strike, following pillow and hairdryer. 🤣)

We started with chips which come served with three house-made salsas. We splurged and added guac AND queso. It was a most excellent decision. (Ignoring the ridiculous upcharge for each of course.)

IMG_1364.jpeg

We were entertained by the same guitarist as we dined. He’s very talented and plays an eclectic setlist.

Woody and I shared the chicken fajitas as our main and once again I was commended by a server for this “wise decision.” It is a lot of (yummy) food!

We passed on the (non) lava cake.

Another good meal at Maya Grill!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Saturday, con’t

We’d only been in our room a little over an hour when my phone buzzed with the eviction notification.

Seriously? I know we were only spending one night but it did seem a bit premature.

Oh well. At least we both were cleaned up and ready for a nice dinner. We didn’t have to go far.

View attachment 751341

Em and I had raved to Woody about our meal here last month and he wanted to give the place a try. The first thing that struck me was how empty the restaurant was - no Girl Scout convention this visit! We were seated in a room on the left side, away from the windows.

View attachment 751328

View attachment 751329

I was craving a frozen drink. When our server said mango smoothie, I was all in!

Then he returned with bad news. No mango. My only option was Piña Colada. It did the job, but I would have preferred mango.

View attachment 751330
(On the upside it was my third - and last - strike, following pillow and hairdryer. 🤣)

We started with chips which come served with three house-made salsas. We splurged and added guac AND queso. It was a most excellent decision. (Ignoring the ridiculous upcharge for each of course.)

View attachment 751331

We were entertained by the same guitarist as we dined. He’s very talented and plays an eclectic setlist.

Woody and I shared the chicken fajitas as our main and once again I was commended by a server for this “wise decision.” It is a lot of (yummy) food!

I’ll have to try Maya Grill next time I’m in the neighborhood. I‘ve eaten twice at Toledo and enjoyed it very much both times. Their hanger steak is excellent.

Gran Destino Tower is a very attractive resort, IMO, although I’ve never stayed there and yeah, those room views are weird from behind the lattice design that looks so pretty from the outside.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was in a better mood after dinner. We went for a stroll. Despite vacationing during a hurricane, it had been a fun week and a nice respite from work for someone who’s very ready to retire.

IMG_1370.jpeg

We had a hankering for ice cream and were disheartened to discover Café Rix closed. Can someone explain why a place that serves gelato, sorbet and dessert cakes closes at 12:30 in the afternoon….on a Saturday?!? I’ve had the gelato here previously and it’s fantastic.

Guess we just weren’t meant to have those extra calories.

We returned to the room where Woody watched TV while I researched replacement pillows and hairdryers. At the sound of a BOOM I quickly opened the drapes. To my delight, we were able to see Happily Ever After fireworks!

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1379.jpeg

It was the perfect ending to our vacation.

Up Next - Final Thoughts

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Speaking of food,…. What’s the best place to eat at MK? N has been on 2 trips with us so far and Disney has really really really sucked at food both his trips. He’sa bit of a picky eater and prefers vegetables and Fish over fried food.

After the last trip he’s pretty certain Disney restaurants cannot cook. Although he did like his steak in the castle, he said it wasn’t worth $80 lol.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Speaking of food,…. What’s the best place to eat at MK? N has been on 2 trips with us so far and Disney has really really really sucked at food both his trips. He’sa bit of a picky eater and prefers vegetables and Fish over fried food.

After the last trip he’s pretty certain Disney restaurants cannot cook. Although he did like his steak in the castle, he said it wasn’t worth $80 lol.
Though it’s not my jam, N might enjoy the offerings at Skipper’s Canteen. The atmosphere is very fun there as well.

Liberty Tree Tavern is my preferred table-service (nothing fried) and also has a plant-based “feast”.

For quick service Columbia Harbor House. Salmon, green beans and rice for healthy eats.

k8einwdw

I began to unpack as Woody was leaving to move the car. I noticed that my pillow from home was missing and supposed I’d left it in the car.

It was not in the car.

I did not panic right away. Surely the WL housekeeper would have noticed a pillow in a PINK pillowcase and set it aside?
Oof, been there, done that. Never got my pillow back either. 😕

Minnie1986

Saturday, con’t

View attachment 751341

View attachment 751328

View attachment 751329

View attachment 751330

View attachment 751331

SO excited to try this place on my upcoming trip!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Though it’s not my jam, N might enjoy the offerings at Skipper’s Canteen. The atmosphere is very fun there as well.

Liberty Tree Tavern is my preferred table-service (nothing fried) and also has a plant-based “feast”.

For quick service Columbia Harbor House. Salmon, green beans and rice for healthy eats.

I think i might push for LTT. I do always want to go there because of your reports. Thank you!!

lindawdw

I'm so sorry about the whole pillow situation Tuvalu.😢 When you have a great pillow that works for you, it's such a bummer to leave it behind when traveling. I definitely would not have been happy with the attitude from the Club Level Cast Member and a letter to guest services would definitely have been sent as soon as I got home.🤨 Your view of the fireworks I'm sure made your night! We had an incredible view of the MK fireworks while staying at BLT last week! I'm sad this trip report is coming to an end.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That reminds me of the time I left one of my favorite nightgowns behind at a hotel close to home during a beach trip. Not only did the housekeeper find my nightgown but the hotel mailed it to me for free LOL.
And it's considerate detail observations like that from housekeeping, that provide good will to guests. Very nice that the hotel mailed it back to you. People remember gestures like that, and will consider a future vacation stay with that hotel. :)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That reminds me of the time I left one of my favorite nightgowns behind at a hotel close to home during a beach trip. Not only did the housekeeper find my nightgown but the hotel mailed it to me for free LOL.

I left a blanket behind at a hostel in Chile. I didn’t want it anymore because it was just a blanket i stole from the plane on the way down and i couldn’t fit it in my bags (i bought half a suitcase of these ham flavored Pringles type chips which i know sounds disgusting but they’re the best chips I’ve ever had, and, well, snacks are more important than blankets). The hostel owner washed it and mailed it back to me and her filled the rest of the box with more chips!! 😂😂🥰🥰

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom