Trip Report The Story Comes ALIVE! *COMPLETED*

Hello again, my friends.

For nearly a decade it has been such a joy for me to write about 50 (yes, 50!) different trips that I have taken to WDW - including one that was virtual. ;)

The reason? You, the reader.

I don’t do trip reports for my own documentation. I have journals for that. I write because I love interacting with y’all. Your encouragement, humor, curiosity and even snark (*ahem* @amjt660) assure me that I am not alone in my crazy affection for Disney parks. A big thanks to each of you!

I am very fortunate to be a frequent visitor to WDW (despite what @Mr Ferret 88 believes, I do not live there!) and am entering a season of monthly visits. Trip reporting is time consuming (as those of you who’ve written can attest) but I’m not ready to completely give it up - yet.

What I’d like to do is keep this as an ongoing TR for the rest of 2023. It will be highlights and moments, with live posting as the goal. My story coming alive, so to speak.

First up is spring break with my favorite girl.

AA48F088-9593-431D-9863-5A1CC9431BEF.jpeg

Followed closely by a getaway with my favorite guy.

22534EF9-828F-43F6-A922-359B962CEC72.jpeg

There will be Magician meets. New experiences. And (as always) the unexpected.

I hope you’ll join the fun!

12in12

Agree - as I will also be there at the end of January.

I loved around the world the first few times I saw it. But then the obvious CGI began to bother me, esp the fake Taj Mahal. And the original film never had the distortions (e.g. bent Eiffel Tower) that the new one suffers from.

Thematically, around the world is a better fit for Epcot. It just needs some adjustments.

Can’t beat the soundtrack of the OG. (Although props to ATW for capturing the “essence” of the OG.)

Me too!! :happy:

The only positive from the new merchandise? It has allowed me to save a TON of money!
That's so exciting that you'll be there as the same time as us. I was hoping there might be some Forum Friends around to say Hi to.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, con’t

I was pleased that we’d accomplished 5 attractions in under two hours. I was also pleased that the rain had slowed to a sprinkle. However it was unclear how long we’d have in the park until the rain resumed.

We decided to skip Nemo. And heading out to World Showcase to grab something to eat seemed unwise, given the weather. I had an idea that I shared with Woody and we began our way toward the exit.

The walls around Journey of Water had just come down and I couldn’t resist a peak at the attraction that is set to open on October 16.

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

I’m liking all the foliage. Which is of course appropriate, given this is the “World Nature” section of Epcot. (Though the front of the park will forever be Future World to me.)

IMG_1133.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg

The blending of old and new!

IMG_1136.jpeg

So long for now, Epcot. We hope to be back before the end of our week but must go with the flow!

IMG_1137.jpeg

lindawdw

I'm so happy to hear that the walls will be coming down on that side of "Future World" as I will forever call it! The palm trees look nice against SE, but I still feel I'm going to miss the old set-up with the big, beautiful fountain in the center of FW! Can't wait to hear where you decided to go next!

Minnie1986

Em's Double Dip: Final Thoughts

Apologies for the two week delay in posting my final thoughts. Have had a couple major life events since. ;)

Our family differentiates between a trip and a vacation. Trip infers lots of plans, activities and typically a schedule. Vacation implies few plans, relaxation and a loose (if any) schedule. Em had categorized our first summer visit to WDW as a trip. She requested that our second summer visit be a vacation.

We both agree this was a great vacation!

The "pool condo" helped set a relaxation vibe. We had lots of space and never felt on top of each other, as can happen after several days in a small hotel room. Its central location meant we were close to the pools, lobby, bus stop and Roaring Fork.

We were able to spend a lot of time at the pool (important) despite all the rain during the week and the overly-cautious closures due to "weather in the area." We're all in favor of guest safety, but I think Disney has swung a little too far with caution closures both at the pools and in the parks. Shutting down outdoor attractions when the sun is shining and no audible thunder seems excessive. We've taken dozens of summer WDW vacations with inclement weather and never had the number of closures that we experienced this week.

We had some good eats (and much better service than prior trips). Our meal at Whispering Canyon was a fave and that steak sandwich from Geyser Point still makes us drool.

Seeing @Darstarr was fun as always and we missed seeing you, @coachwnh! (I did feel like we "virtually met" @MissingDisney on the livestream! :joyfull:)

I have a nice scar from my inexplicable thumb injury. :facepalm:

Booking the Bounce Back offer for Spring Break gives Em something to look forward to next year. As for me?

Oregon GIF by GIPHY News

Kamala Harris Politics GIF by The Democrats
Would you recommend Maya Grill over Hacienda?

Minnie1986

Another old t-shirt fan here! My favorite one is over 15 years old at this point, and still looks good. It's navy blue, with one small pocket on the front. There's a little embroidered red Mickey on the pocket. I remember buying it in EPCOT at Mouse Gear. Wish I had bought a few more back then.
The old stuff really does hold up so well. My favorite Disney sweatshirt is now 22 years old, and looks just as good as when I got it.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Would you recommend Maya Grill over Hacienda?
Both restaurants are owned by the same parent company so the menus are similar. La Hacienda is a little more expensive, perhaps for its location in Epcot rather than a resort. I have had excellent meals and service at both and honestly can't pick one over the other!

La Hacienda:

Maya Grill:

Minnie1986

Both restaurants are owned by the same parent company so the menus are similar. La Hacienda is a little more expensive, perhaps for its location in Epcot rather than a resort. I have had excellent meals and service at both and honestly can't pick one over the other!

La Hacienda:

Maya Grill:
Thanks @Tuvalu !

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, con’t

One of our old-time favorite table service dining locations closed for a bit and has reopened as a quick serve. While this change saddens us, we understand the reason for it.

IMG_1147.jpeg

For years Trail’s End had a delicious comfort-food buffet with the cheapest price in all of WDW. During the pandemic it was modified to an AYCE family-style meal brought to the table. Woody and I ate here a couple times and though the price was reasonable, the food wasn’t as good as it had been previously.

I’m guessing a lack of interest in the family-style meal - and the fact that Fort Wilderness did not have a proper QS, unlike the other moderate resorts - led to the change. Additionally, the elimination of the Blue Launch (which connected the Contemporary and WL to The Fort) likely affected the number of guests choosing to dine here, as it’s not an easy restaurant to get to.

The conversion had happened a month before our visit, but our experience with the Cast Members was more indicative of a grand opening day. More on that in a minute.

The former buffet area/carving station is now used for pizza and beverage coolers.

IMG_1138.jpeg

Tables in the main dining room have been replaced and rotated 90 degrees.

IMG_1139.jpeg

The lower level dining room and the bar area (Crockett’s Tavern) were EMPTY at 7 pm. To be fair though, there was a hurricane headed our way!

IMG_1140.jpeg

IMG_1141.jpeg

I had watched Trail’s End reopening with interest and found a couple things I wanted to try, hence our visit. Also it was easy for us to get there, since the bus from Epcot combined WL with FW, with FW being dropped off first.

Mobile ordering is an option, but the restaurant also has two staffed cashier stations. I chose to order with a cashier.

And here’s where things went south. Apparently only certain items can be ordered at a register. The first CM looked at me like I had two heads and directed me to the “grab and go” station to pick up our dinner. So Woody and I went there and none of the items we wanted were there. There was another CM standing nearby and when I asked where those items were she shrugged and said, “I’m not sure.”

I did notice the bakery case contained the cookie I wanted, so I grabbed two (in case I really liked it) and went to a different cashier. As he began to ring us up I said, “We’d also like to order the ribs and chicken family meal.”

He looked down at the register and was flummoxed. He turned to yet another CM and said, “ribs and chicken?” That CM looked at us and pointed to the grab and go case. “They’re in there.”

“No they aren’t,” I politely replied.

“What is it that you want again?” Cashier #2 asked, genuinely trying to help us.

“We’d like the ribs and chicken family meal.”

Then he flagged down yet another CM who said, “Oh, the family meals are only available on MOBILE ORDER.”

I wanted to respond with, Why are you the only one who knows this??!!! but I kept my mouth shut and placed a mobile order, which wasn’t ready until 15 minutes later.

A large brown paper sack was placed on a shelf and I sent Woody over to see if it was our order. It was. Inside the sack was another brown bag with the meat, cornbread wrapped in paper, and our two chosen sides. No plates.

I searched high and low for plates. I finally asked a CM and found a small stack next to a microwave.

I opened the meat bag and at first saw only fried chicken. I then realized the ribs were underneath.

IMG_1142.jpeg

Side options were mashed potatoes with gravy, coleslaw, mac & cheese and baked beans.
Our two:

IMG_1143.jpeg

It had been a struggle to get to this point, but the food was really good!!

IMG_1144.jpeg

Woody and I stuffed ourselves and there were enough leftovers for a third meal.

Despite being full, I had to try the s’mores cookie. It was my main objective for choosing Trail’s End!

IMG_1146.jpeg

It was……okay. Woody shared it with me a gave a similar assessment. I regretted buying two cookies.

But the whole shebang was still under $30. Trail’s End remains a great value.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There is an ongoing brouhaha in the News and Rumors section of the forum based on this:

As a frequent WDW visitor it has been years since I received a lid on any beverage cup at a QS restaurant, despite what the pundits in that thread say. The article’s emphasis is on self service paper straws and plastic lids. To that end, I found this sign at Trail’s End very timely.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Woody and I were able to take a direct bus from FW back to WL. Other than the short downpour at Epcot, the evening had been rain-free.

Those guests attending tonight’s MNSSHP have me to thank. 😉

But while I missed the party, I did get to watch the Not-so-Spooky Spectacular (with perimeter fireworks) from my balcony.

IMG_1402.jpeg

Clearly this is NOT my photo, though it was my view. (Credit goes to Disney Tourist Blog.) I wanted to enjoy the show without attempting any photography.

Up Next: The arrival of Idalia.

Spash007

The whole “some things are only available on Mobile Order and some are only available to be ordered in person” is probably my number one pet peeve right now with Disney.

Sometimes I’ll mobile order, and not even see something was available that I would’ve wanted. And I also feel bad for people who are not comfortable with their phones. My parents no longer visit, but if they did, I’m pretty sure this would be the last straw for them because they wouldn’t be able to eat!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I can't wait to hear about your Idalia day!
I did not make my husband sick (at least not that I’m aware.) 😉 🤣

The whole “some things are only available on Mobile Order and some are only available to be ordered in person” is probably my number one pet peeve right now with Disney.

Sometimes I’ll mobile order, and not even see something was available that I would’ve wanted. And I also feel bad for people who are not comfortable with their phones. My parents no longer visit, but if they did, I’m pretty sure this would be the last straw for them because they wouldn’t be able to eat!
💯

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom