Trip Report The Story Comes ALIVE! *COMPLETED*

Hello again, my friends.

For nearly a decade it has been such a joy for me to write about 50 (yes, 50!) different trips that I have taken to WDW - including one that was virtual. ;)

The reason? You, the reader.

I don’t do trip reports for my own documentation. I have journals for that. I write because I love interacting with y’all. Your encouragement, humor, curiosity and even snark (*ahem* @amjt660) assure me that I am not alone in my crazy affection for Disney parks. A big thanks to each of you!

I am very fortunate to be a frequent visitor to WDW (despite what @Mr Ferret 88 believes, I do not live there!) and am entering a season of monthly visits. Trip reporting is time consuming (as those of you who’ve written can attest) but I’m not ready to completely give it up - yet.

What I’d like to do is keep this as an ongoing TR for the rest of 2023. It will be highlights and moments, with live posting as the goal. My story coming alive, so to speak.

First up is spring break with my favorite girl.

AA48F088-9593-431D-9863-5A1CC9431BEF.jpeg

Followed closely by a getaway with my favorite guy.

22534EF9-828F-43F6-A922-359B962CEC72.jpeg

There will be Magician meets. New experiences. And (as always) the unexpected.

I hope you’ll join the fun!

Spash007

Trip # 6

Who:
Tuvalu and Woody

What: The Last One

Why: Woody’s request

When: Sunday, August 27 - Sunday, September 3, 2023

Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

View attachment 739157

View attachment 739156

and Disney’s Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs Resort

View attachment 739160

View attachment 739161

Woody and I have taken a late August WDW vacation for many years. He enjoys going then and refers to it as “the end of summer hurrah.”

Isn’t it really hot there this time of year? Not any hotter than it is at home!

What about the risk of a tropical storm/hurricane/rain deluge? It wouldn’t be a first time experience for us!

Are you going to attend MNSSHP? I have been forbidden to purchase MNSSHP tickets ever again (see above.) To any of you with tickets for 8/29 or 9/1 - you’re welcome! 🤣

I’m afraid you might’ve jinxed yourself with that last sentence! Hope the hurricane doesn’t affect much!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

Woody was tired from traveling. We’d finally received our room text (around 4:30 pm) and he was ready to unload and unpack.

I, on the other hand, had seen all the low wait times on the app and was ready to take advantage.

I hoped for a compromise. “Can we do one more ride before leaving?” I asked.

Of course Woody agreed to it.

IMG_1001.jpeg

I knew the Hatbox Ghost is being added near the endless hallway and although has not been revealed, there is a curtain hiding his presence. I wanted to see for myself.

HM had been closed for a 3 day refurbishment earlier this month. One of the changes we noticed immediately was new LED lighting in the stretching room. It was most notable on the female portraits. Not sure my pics do it justice.

IMG_1003.jpeg

IMG_1004.jpeg

I was sure I nailed the ride photo. Absolutely positive I did.

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1074.jpeg

As Em would say, “A swing and a miss!”

Poor Woody was blinded by the light!

Songbird76

Sunday, con’t

I had seen a social media post a day or so ago about a new menu here -

View attachment 739575

Pre-pandemic The Plaza was a family fave. Cuts, changes and price increases made it fall out of favor. A few items on the new menu interested me and when I saw there was availability Woody said, “Why not?”

View attachment 739576

View attachment 739577

The restaurant remained about half full during the time we were there. But wait times at MK were low so I wasn’t surprised the restaurant wasn’t overly busy. Our server Karen couldn’t have been nicer or more accommodating, and was genuinely glad to receive our feedback about our meal. She absolutely defied the current stereotype given to her name (which is unfair and unwarranted to all Karens.)

The club sandwich has made a welcome return and was what Woody ordered. I debated between the club and the “lightly breaded crispy chicken sandwich” because the dill slaw atop the sandwich intrigued me. In the end I went with the chicken.

View attachment 739578

Oh, what a mistake I made! Heavily breaded and deep fried beyond “crispy”, the major flavor was paprika. Way too much paprika (and I like paprika). The slaw was very dry and the dill flavoring was hard to discern. I looked at Woody’s turkey club with envy.

Being the chivalrous man that he is, he offered to switch meals with me. I settled for a quarter of his sandwich (which was wonderful, BTW.)

I have no doubt that Karen would have replaced my meal had I asked, but it was my choice to order the chicken and I wanted to save room for dessert.

Woody had a cookies and cream hot fudge sundae.

View attachment 739579

I ordered an extra-thick chocolate shake. This baby did not disappoint and I slurped it down so quickly that I immediately wanted another.

View attachment 739581

But “wanted” and “ordered” are two different things! I do miss the old days when shakes came with the extra in the stainless mixing container.

I totally would have finished that too!

The Plaza is back on our list. I’ll just avoid the crispy chicken sandwich next time.
That chicken looks burnt!! That is not "crispy"...I'm surprised they served that!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

Just after the photo flash our doom buggy came to a stop. We waited for the “playful spooks have halted your visit” announcement, which didn’t come.

I decided to take a picture of the ride photo portraits in case our picture didn’t show up (as has been known to happen - darn those playful spooks!) as proof that we did go inside the attraction.

IMG_1005.jpeg

“I never noticed that the books on the shelf move,” Woody whispered to me. “I always focus on the movement of the ladder.”

IMG_1006.jpeg

Our vehicle remained motionless for seven minutes (timed by Woody’s stopwatch).

Then this happened.

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1010.jpeg

WERE WE GOING TO BE EVACUATED FROM HAUNTED MANSION??!!??!!

IMG_1012.jpeg

Stay tuned.

93boomer

Premium Member
Sunday, con’t

Woody was tired from traveling. We’d finally received our room text (around 4:30 pm) and he was ready to unload and unpack.

I, on the other hand, had seen all the low wait times on the app and was ready to take advantage.

I hoped for a compromise. “Can we do one more ride before leaving?” I asked.

Of course Woody agreed to it.

View attachment 739750

I knew the Hatbox Ghost is being added near the endless hallway and although has not been revealed, there is a curtain hiding his presence. I wanted to see for myself.

HM had been closed for a 3 day refurbishment earlier this month. One of the changes we noticed immediately was new LED lighting in the stretching room. It was most notable on the female portraits. Not sure my pics do it justice.

View attachment 739751

View attachment 739752

I was sure I nailed the ride photo. Absolutely positive I did.

View attachment 739753

View attachment 739754

As Em would say, “A swing and a miss!”

Poor Woody was blinded by the light!
That looks like the one we had and thought we nailed it!😉

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

I stealthily took a few quick pictures. I knew from prior ride breakdowns that Disney does not allow behind-the-scenes photos.

IMG_1008.jpeg

Wait a minute. Is that what I think it is?

IMG_1009.jpeg

I do believe that is the DONALD chair in a new location!

IMG_1016.jpeg

Which makes sense, since the Hatbox Ghost will occupy its former home. We’re so glad the chair was relocated and not removed.

Although it is more difficult to discern Donald in the darkness of the library.

Several more minutes passed and announcement was finally made. “We apologize for the delay. Please remain seated and you will be assisted shortly.”

An evac? Yeah, baby!!

Four or five CMs passed by, going further into the attraction. I’m not sure how far they went (Madame Leota room? Attic? Graveyard?) but we had to wait a LONG time before we saw them again.

IMG_1013.jpeg

Eventually a CM appeared leading a line of guests toward us. We thought they might go out the EXIT near us (note the sign) but they continued past us. Two other CMs were helping guests out of each doom buggy ahead of us - then each “freed” guest joined the line.

IMG_1017.jpeg

Woody and I had been trapped in our doom buggy for thirty minutes before it was our turn to join the line. We walked back towards the load zone and turned left before the stretching room(s). A short hallway led to the outdoor exit. Two CMs were scanning guest MagicBands/cards. Each of us was given a “recovery” Lightning Lane for our inconvenience.

IMG_1020.jpeg

Well Woody and I couldn’t leave the park now without utilizing our LL!

Spash007

Sunday, con’t

I stealthily took a few quick pictures. I knew from prior ride breakdowns that Disney does not allow behind-the-scenes photos.

View attachment 739831

Wait a minute. Is that what I think it is?

View attachment 739830

I do believe that is the DONALD chair in a new location!

View attachment 739832

Which makes sense, since the Hatbox Ghost will occupy its former home. We’re so glad the chair was relocated and not removed.

Although it is more difficult to discern Donald in the darkness of the library.

Several more minutes passed and announcement was finally made. “We apologize for the delay. Please remain seated and you will be assisted shortly.”

An evac? Yeah, baby!!

Four or five CMs passed by, going further into the attraction. I’m not sure how far they went (Madame Leota room? Attic? Graveyard?) but we had to wait a LONG time before we saw them again.

View attachment 739833

Eventually a CM appeared leading a line of guests toward us. We thought they might go out the EXIT near us (note the sign) but they continued past us. Two other CMs were helping guests out of each doom buggy ahead of us - then each “freed” guest joined the line.

View attachment 739834

Woody and I had been trapped in our doom buggy for thirty minutes before it was our turn to join the line. We walked back towards the load zone and turned left before the stretching room(s). A short hallway led to the outdoor exit. Two CMs were scanning guest MagicBands/cards. Each of us was given a “recovery” Lightning Lane for our inconvenience.

View attachment 739835

Well Woody and I couldn’t leave the park now without utilizing our LL!
Wow! That seriously must have been so exciting! Just looking at your pictures, I feel like the props look different in light. Thank you for posting them!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom