The Splash Mountain Appreciation Thread

Raineman

I very much enjoy the flume ride, especially its length, and so I'm very happy the flume ride remains. I never liked the "theming" (and honestly always found it in poor/questionable taste), so I'm happy its changing and can't wait to see the new theme design. I also wish one got a little more wet from the drops!
At the risk of bringing this all up again for the one millionth time-what about the attraction specifically do you feel is poor/questionable taste?

novum

well, i don't want to debate anything in this thread (as opposed to the threads covering this issue) but since you asked directly I will give a short answer.

• I knew what the source material was (the film) and how it glorified and romanticized the antebellum period.
  • I knew the history of the film (its sanitized presentation of the south has been problematized since the 1940's (there's a lot more that can be discussed about this, but in a different thread perhaps--especially regarding the screenwriter's revanchist presentation of joel chandler harris' text)
  • I don't think Walt Disney purposely tried to make a racist film (he seemed honestly surprised and sad)
  • I don't think Baxter or the other Imagineers were racist (indeed they changed the infamous tar-baby scene to a bee-hive scene on the ride). I also know they were trying to recast America Sings which heavily influenced the design choice.
I love how long the flume is, how it mixes genres (flume and run-away train style coaster), and the alternating speeds of the ride. I also wish they hadn't turned down the splash zone for pedestrians watching the ride.

tanc

Found this, never noticed it

Attachments

• 20200813_122720.jpg
    20200813_122720.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 124

amer_059

If i was a betting man, i say Splash Mountain will undergo the tower of terror treatment , Rethemed in DL to princess and the frog theme, will stay as original in MK.
There is no way in this current environment with declining revenues, the walt disney company will undergo retheming at both coasts.

Last edited:

jasminethecat

At the risk of bringing this all up again for the one millionth time-what about the attraction specifically do you feel is poor/questionable taste?

Nothing about the attraction itself is in poor or questionable taste, but the movie which inspired the characters is definitely in poor and questionable taste. Having a ride themed after harmless characters from a racist movie is bad for an inclusive family company like Disney. If you only saw this ride and knew nothing about the movie, you'd think it was great. Actually we all did, and we were all ignorantly happy. But once that cat is out of the bag there is no turning back. You can only celebrate this ride's characters if you choose to overlook the racism from where it came. There is no "well this is so cute, i just don't care about where it came from" arguments to be made anymore. You (not anyone here, just saying "you" in general) don't need to be offended by Song of the South in order for the movie to be classified as racist.

People here also complained about the Maelstrom being re-themed for Frozen, but that came out great IMO. The old ride was great, and the new ride is also great. I do honestly believe that Imagineering can do a great job in making this an excellent Princess and the Frog attraction. This is NOT change for the sake of change, it's taking an attraction which was based off of a racist film and is gearing it towards Disney's only black princess. Little black girls will finally get to ride a ride which is geared towards them. They will see a beautiful black girl's story unfold around them on one of Disney's best ride design's ever. And even though I an neither black nor female, I look forward to seeing what they can do here.

Weather_Lady

I love Splash Mountain for what it's been to me -- a superb piece of storytelling with memorable songs, darling animatronic characters, a fantastic and suspense-building ride layout with incredible views and a level of immersion second to none. Riding it for the first time as a child, I was paralyzed with awe and wonder, and I still feel a little of that thrill every time I ride it.

That being said, I grew up seeing "Song of the South" in the theater and listening to my Disney records, which included both Uncle Remus, and Bre'r Rabbit and the Tar Baby. Although my child's eyes weren't keen enough to understand the racist stereotypes and misplaced Antebellum nostalgia that flowed inexorably through those narratives like Mississippi mud, I get it now. The choice for retheming to Princess and the Frog, should Disney do it right, has the potential to be magnificent, and as rich and awe-inspiring as Splash Mountain was to those of us who love it. I think Disney owes it to all fans -- and particularly to the thousands upon thousands of little girls who never saw themselves in any Disney princess until Tiana came along -- to make it so. I just hope they don't take forever! :)

tanc

I rode Splash Mountain twice when I just went and honestly the fact Disney build it in 1989 or in the 90's in WDW blows my mind. How can they ever even top the ride? The original Splash Mountain has so much love and care put into it. The themeing is perfect and the story is well told. The drops are so thrilling and just all the interactions with ALL animstronics is just so awesome.

Sadly I see a lot of the effects going to be screens for PATF. Not to mention if they have to resculpt the interior it will be an insane project. There's different parts like the cave with the turtle being shot up by water that is so cool.

Sometimes I really think Disney bargained way too much with PATF, considering so much care went into WDW Splash Mountain.

N2dru

Heres a vid of Splash in tip top shape only a few months old

I remember waiting 2 hours to ride Splash in Dec '92. I was so excited because it was new and something from the coveted DL that was brought to FL. I used to write WDW and they would send me brochures and promotional material. I would study and read the guidebooks/literature multiple times. The Ernest TV special also had a big part in adding to my anticipation. Remembering the line started on the bridge and went behind the Briar Patch store, under the train station and all through the courtyard. Felt like we spent half our day at the park in line. The character voices in the little treehouses added to the excitement.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
If i was a betting man, i say Splash Mountain will undergo the tower of terror treatment , Rethemed in DL to princess and the frog theme, will stay as original in MK.
There is no way in this current environment with declining revenues, the walt disney company will undergo retheming at both coasts.
Hope your right! But in any case I do still expect them to slightly tweak the attraction and to possibly display new signage; a notice at the queue entrance regarding the stereotypes and scene depictions within. It's a "Band-Aid solution" without having to completely change the theme or experience for riders. Would it satisfy the masses? Shrugs. But in doing so it would provide a statement from Disney, keeps the attraction mostly as-is, and keep it under budget and free of an expensive overlay. A Win-Win for both Disney and park guests.

I agree, I hope WDW's Splash will remain mostly unscathed.

Last edited:

Raineman

Hope your right! But in any case I do still expect them to slightly tweak the attraction and to possibly display new signage; a notice at the queue entrance regarding the stereotypes and scene depictions within. It's a "Band-Aid solution" without having to completely change the theme or experience for riders. Would it satisfy the masses? Shrugs. But in doing so it would provide a statement from Disney, keeps the attraction mostly as-is, and keep it under budget and free of an expensive overlay. A Win-Win for both Disney and park guests.

I agree, I hope WDW's Splash will remain mostly unscathed.
A disclaimer sign at the attraction entrance, instead of a complete re-theme? I'll take that any day of the week. There has been similar controversy lately with the disclaimers being placed at the beginning of classic Disney on Disney+ regarding content that has outdated racial/social themes, but I would much rather see that for a few seconds on screen than have the film/short completely removed.

Big Thunder 25

well, i don't want to debate anything in this thread (as opposed to the threads covering this issue) but since you asked directly I will give a short answer.

• I knew what the source material was (the film) and how it glorified and romanticized the antebellum period.
  • I knew the history of the film (its sanitized presentation of the south has been problematized since the 1940's (there's a lot more that can be discussed about this, but in a different thread perhaps--especially regarding the screenwriter's revanchist presentation of joel chandler harris' text)
  • I don't think Walt Disney purposely tried to make a racist film (he seemed honestly surprised and sad)
  • I don't think Baxter or the other Imagineers were racist (indeed they changed the infamous tar-baby scene to a bee-hive scene on the ride). I also know they were trying to recast America Sings which heavily influenced the design choice.
I love how long the flume is, how it mixes genres (flume and run-away train style coaster), and the alternating speeds of the ride. I also wish they hadn't turned down the splash zone for pedestrians watching the ride.
Are you sure it was antebellum I always though it was the reconstruction period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom